• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MonsterLabo The First

Darksaber

Senior Editor & Case Reviewer
Staff member
System Name Meshlicious Monster
Processor Intel Core i5-10600T
Motherboard MSI Z490I Unify
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z53 with 2x Noctua Redux 1300 RPM PWM fans
Memory ADATA 16 GB 3200 Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
Storage TeamGroup 1TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Asus ProArt 27" 1440P, 75Hz
Case ssupd Meshlicious with mesh side panels
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion 660 W Platinum ATX
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro Wireless
Keyboard Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Home
The MonsterLabo The First is a sleek, compact chassis that is designed for passive operation, while still letting you use decent hardware. With broad compatibility for motherboards and graphics cards, this may well be the first time you can utilize a high-end GPU for absolutely silent gaming.

Show full review

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
Wow, I really feel sorry for the reviewer, this looks like a nightmare to build and I have tested some really odd SFF cases/barebones over the years.

Impressive combination stuff for the form factor to all run passively and perform at a higher degree, but I'll agree looks like a bit of a jigsaw puzzle to cram all the bits in pieces together into that small case though at least it's accessible it looks from pretty much any angle.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
That looks interesting to build, dare I even say fun?

I wish they offered this in two fin-density options though. The gaps between those fins are really designed for fully-passive (which is dumb and pointless outside of an anechoic chamber or sound recording booth). Even a very slow and quiet 600rpm fan could easily push air through a stack with double the density and it would comfortably unlock better CPU and GPU options.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
That fan is horribly obstructed by the PSU, I doubt it manages to move any real volume of air.

I wish they offered this in two fin-density options though. The gaps between those fins are really designed for fully-passive (which is dumb and pointless outside of an anechoic chamber or sound recording booth). Even a very slow and quiet 600rpm fan could easily push air through a stack with double the density and it would comfortably unlock better CPU and GPU options.
The cost of bringing such a solution to market considering the demand.. SFF being a niche still, I would guess. But it is a cool thought because I love this forma factor and the MonsterLabo custom solution is brilliant in my honest opinion. The way the riser is utilized. Last tiem I saw a passive case the chip blocks had a sort of a clamp solution. I like that the backpanel has the extensions like Corsair One to the GPU outputs.
I've always liked the Baby Tower design and I really like the way new Xbox looks and this case reminds me of it.
That fan is horribly obstructed by the PSU, I doubt it manages to move any real volume of air.
The way this uses "of the shelf" parts for very specialized product is a plus tho. Now the TFX or 1U slim PSUs are kinda available and I wonder if it could be used in this case.

System Name "Run of the mill" (except GPU)
Processor R9 3900X
Motherboard ASRock X470 Taich Ultimate
Cooling Cryorig (not recommended)
Memory 32GB (2 x 16GB) Team 3200 MT/s, CL14
Video Card(s) Radeon RX6900XT
Storage Samsung 970 Evo plus 1TB NVMe
Display(s) Samsung Q95T
Case Define R5
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1000W
Mouse Roccat Leadr
Keyboard K95 RGB
Software Windows 11 Pro x64, insider preview dev channel
Benchmark Scores #1 worldwide on 3D Mark 99, back in the (P133) days. :)
Is this crying out for Zen 3/RDNA2? Would that be an Xbox on steroids and still quiet?

Would be worth sacrificing a bit of "no noise" for either dual fan setup (pull-push) or fans with more pressure.

Still those temps are impressive for one Noctua..

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
I never really understood the need for fully passive systems, who needs a PC to be that quite ? Since I went and bought AIOs for my CPU and GPU which I can run at very low RPMs I realized something quite odd, that even if the fan noise is basically gone everything else isn't, like faint electrical buzzing, coil whine or ambient noise. You'll always hear something ... unless you live in a bunker and every electrical appliance is in another room.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
I never really understood the need for fully passive systems, who needs a PC to be that quite ? Since I went and bought AIOs for my CPU and GPU which I can run at very low RPMs I realized something quite odd, that even if the fan noise is basically gone everything else isn't, like faint electrical buzzing, coil whine or ambient noise. You'll always hear something ... unless you live in a bunker and every electrical appliance is in another room.

You never go full passive. The room you are in has a noise floor and it makes sense to set fan RPMs to match but not exceed that noise floor. Anything less is a complete waste of cooling potential.

Like you say, even a fully passive system is not silent - but I have a 'silent' 120W 5700XT that makes noise in my living room. It actually makes ~30dBA of noise, but sitting on the sofa it's less than the background noise of the fridge from the next room, the leaves rustling in the wind outside, and various humming sounds from my boiler cupboard three rooms away - so 'silent' in this case is just 'below ambient noise floor'.

Last edited:
System Name Games/internet/usage
Processor I7 5820k 4.2 Ghz
Motherboard ASUS X99-A2
Cooling custom water loop for cpu and gpu
Memory 16GiB Crucial Ballistix Sport 2666 MHz
Video Card(s) Radeon Rx 6800 XT
Storage Samsung XP941 500 GB + 1 TB SSD
Display(s) Dell 3008WFP
Case Caselabs Magnum M8
Audio Device(s) Shiit Modi 2 Uber -> Matrix m-stage -> HD650
Power Supply beQuiet dark power pro 1200W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Software Win 10 Pro

An important distinction when it comes to acceptable noise levels are that they are individual.

Unlike Chrispy_ I like passive cooled systems, but that is mostly for HTPC use.

I currently have 2 HTPCs one in the combined living room/kitchen. ( A8-7600 APU) This is cooled with a single 120 MM fan at ca 600 rpm, on a hyper 212. The fridge compressor is much louder than the single fan. Thing is, if it’s a quiet section in a film/series I will still hear the fan.

The second one is uses a streamcom FC8 Alpha, this system has NO moving parts, at all. This is placed in a separate TV/Hi-Fi room, which does mean that I can enjoy the complete silence when the system is running.

The MonsterLabo is actualy priced comparatively to the FC8 Alpha.
Where the FC8 has a 120W external laptop power supply with a 12V to 5V DC to DC coveter to avoid fans on the power supply, the cooling fins on that case are pretty maxed out cooling a 45W AMD 2400G.
Looking at the temperature readings for the review the MonterLabo shuld have no trouble with a similar AMD APU, or a 95W part with a better GPU. One would need a passive or semi passive PSU for that complete silence bliss.

Also note that adding a 3.5 “ HDD in a chassis like this is a bit silly, as the disk will be the loudest component by far, negating the sacrifices one makes in the quest for silent computing (the proper solution is a file server/NAS somewhere else in your dwelling)

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Lose and loose, two different meanings, yet often interchanged.

Every time I see MonsterLabo I can't help but remember Calyos crowdfunding project which went belly up. I also wonder how MonsterLabo arranged their funding, and how they did this without crowdfunding.

Eduard

The case being completely closed on all sides, it blocks away all electrical noises. It is possible to hear something if you lean from above in front of the top cover. So the case is in 60-70cm from me on the table and I can't hear any noise from it (even approaching my ear from the side). I have a top hat on it with the 20cm Noctua fan. It also stays completely silent with low noise adapter (up to 550-600 RPM). I have many other ambient noises, but it is very satisfying to reduce those ones you can ☺

It was very fun to plan and assemble in this case! But it is not for everybody. I spent at least 3 hours the first time.
I would be very glad to have the option with more dense fin stack! Having 9700k and 1080Ti in it don't leave me with the passive option ☺

Processor i7-13700kf
Motherboard MSi Z690-A
Cooling cuplex kryos full copper @ Xylem D5 PWM + EK 360mm + 4xNB-eLoop B12-4 @ Aquareo6
Memory 2X16GB 6600Mhz CL34 G.Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) RX 6900XT Ref.
Storage Samsung (980 PRO 1TB + PM951 512GB)
Display(s) Benq XL2540K + Benq EX2510 + Sony 50W805b
Case Hyte Y60
Audio Device(s) Beyerdinamics DT990 600ohm & Dali Zensor 5 @ Cambridge Audio CXA60
Power Supply Sharkoon CoolZero Silent Storm 850W
Mouse Zowie FK1
Keyboard Leopold Fc900r
Nice, they sell XboX case's NOW!