• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

More Buyers for AMD Due to Intel CPU Shortages, OEMs Unhappy

Processor R9 5800x3d | R7 3900X | 4800H | 2x Xeon gold 6142
Motherboard Asrock X570M | AB350M Pro 4 | Asus Tuf A15
Cooling Air | Air | duh laptop
Memory 64gb G.skill SniperX @3600 CL16 | 128gb | 32GB | 192gb
Video Card(s) RTX 4080 |Quadro P5000 | RTX2060M
Storage Many drives
Display(s) M32Q,AOC 27" 144hz something.
Case Jonsbo D41
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse g502 Lightspeed
Keyboard G913 tkl
Software win11, proxmox
Benchmark Scores 33000FS, 16300 TS. Lappy, 7000 TS.
We're talking about 7nm. There are only two 7nm foundries: TSMC and Samsung so your correction makes little sense. And it's very optimistic to expect chiplet designs when we aren't there yet. The rumors are about massive off-die LLC. However you're adding latency when moving things off-die even if they're in close proximity. So consumer designs where Samsung might make sense do not benefit from bandwidth and capacities as much - often low latency is better.

Off die memory access is already done today on TR and Epyc without any Huge concern, it will actually bring latency uniformity to all latencies except cross die L3 cache which will improve AMD's standing in the server space as it will operate with 100% shared memory rather than numa nodes. make it easier to optimize, consistent performance etc.
I see it as a very doable solution.

Latency is a concern and if so it might be a big seller for enterprise but less for gamers.

Lol, I though clever people should attach screenshots with prices from amazon, newegg, cu.de or whatever your local dealer is.

2700X is 329$ in us already. Waiting 350$ in couple of weeks

Prices have dropped well below MSRP in Norway on 2700X.
while 8700K is way up there now.

First off, I am a fan of both intel and amd. I want both companies competing because that leads to better tech and better prices. This is by no means good news imo. The last thing we want is one company dominating the other again. This leads to price hiking and lack of innovation. We saw intel dominate for the longest time, and we were stuck with quad cores for years. Do you really think AMD wouldn't have done the same thing if the tides were reversed? They are a business first. I hope intel gets their butt back in gear. They got lazy from the lack of competition. Either way, it is a great time to be a consumer at least for processors. Let's see how far red and blue push each other.

Now.....if only we could get those RAM prices back down....sigh

System Name GenericGamer
Processor i5 8600k@5.1ghz
Motherboard MSI z370 sli plus
Cooling Corsair H100i v2.0
Memory 16gb gskill 2800mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Quicksilver gtx 1070
Storage Intel 660 m2 3.0x4 500gb, Crucial, 500gb m2, 275gb, ssd.
Display(s) LG 34" curved 144hz 2k
Case Fractal Design Define C
Audio Device(s) Onboard 5.1\ Corsair 7.1 gaming headset
Power Supply EVGA T2 1000w Titanium
Mouse Steelseries Rival 300
Keyboard Steelseries Apex 150
Software W10 64bit
Was thinking about waiting for the 9900k. After looking at the rising costs of 8th gen, I wonder what crazy price the 9900k will be. I think I will give the 2700x a try. Today would be a good day to pull the trigger on it. $310. after promo code ending midnight.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
Wait a moment......but AMD CPUs are also at a price rise.

So now AMD is being sold by intel prices, while Intel tries out ngreedia tactics. Well done, capitalism! Screw the competition, screw all regulating institutes! Lets completely milk the customers dry!
Ryzen 7 1700 is about $200. Where can i find a brand new i7 at $200? 2700 is $290. I7 is $350+.

BTW, the miracle of capitalism is, if you dont want it, you DONT HAVE TO BUY IT. Customers choose to pay the price if they feel it is appropriate. Just because you cannot afford it doesn't mean everybody is being milked.

Hell, this is the OPPOSITE of what you are crying about. there is actual competition in the CPU space, prices are coming down for the first time in years, and consumers are benefiting.

First off, I am a fan of both intel and amd. I want both companies competing because that leads to better tech and better prices. This is by no means good news imo. The last thing we want is one company dominating the other again. This leads to price hiking and lack of innovation. We saw intel dominate for the longest time, and we were stuck with quad cores for years. Do you really think AMD wouldn't have done the same thing if the tides were reversed? They are a business first. I hope intel gets their butt back in gear. They got lazy from the lack of competition. Either way, it is a great time to be a consumer at least for processors. Let's see how far red and blue push each other.

Now.....if only we could get those RAM prices back down....sigh
I doubt AMD will dominate Intel any time soon because Intel is too big but Intel's misfortune's do help AMD claw back some much valuable market share.

Memory is not that difficult to produce. AMD could become major player in memory space today if they flooded the market with cheap DDR4. Manufactured at GloFo (because remember TSMC is at capacity and Samsung won't look kindly to someone manufacturing cheaper RAM at their foundry when they're trying to keep their cartel going. DDR4 does not need cutting edge manufacturing process either so GloFo's decision to not go past 14nm would not affect this.

Plus the upside would be AMD's ability to tune this DDR4 to work better for AM4 and TR4/SP3 platforms. I doubt they'll do it but it's an intresting idea to toy with i think.

System Name DEVIL'S ABYSS
Processor i7-4790K@4.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-Deluxe
Cooling Corsair H110 (2 x 140mm)(3 x 140mm case fans)
Memory 16GB Adata XPG V2 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 780 Ti Classified
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB (AIC), Plextor M6e 256GB (M.2), 13 TB storage
Display(s) Crossover 27QW (27"@ 2560x1440)
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803
Benchmark Scores Passmark CPU score = 13080
Why should OEMs be unhappy? They love to sell crap PCs with slow CPUs, and the average buyer in Walmart or Best Buy doesn't know the difference. Last years, or even older APUs are dirt cheap and people are happy with anemic performance since they never had a decent PC.

I want both companies competing because that leads to better tech and better prices.

Nope, dude, don't even think about it! (c) AMD, Intel and nGreedia

Ryzen 7 1700 is about $200. Where can i find a brand new i7 at $200? 2700 is $290 330$. I7 is $350+ >500$

BTW, the miracle of capitalism is, if you dont want it, you DONT HAVE TO BUY IT. Customers choose to pay the price if they feel it is appropriate. Just because you cannot afford it doesn't mean everybody is being milked.

Hell, this is the OPPOSITE of what you are crying about. there is actual competition in the CPU space, prices are coming down for the first time in years, and consumers are benefiting.

Hm, did you actually read the news? Prices are RISING, not dropping. And mostly for Intel, though AMD price rise is just ahead.
You're saying "competetion, price drop, etc.,etc...." You know, I felt myself much better with 2600K for 300$. And back then, AMD was only capable of producing dud FX series. And now we have competetion, great ryzens and iCores.....but I don't see competetive prices. 115x top of the line i7 is more and more expensive, despite everything, each year.

But I'm not talking about "progress is bad", no way - it's good, its great! 8 cores in mass market, 16 in HEDT...yeah, but on the other hand, somehow, customers must pay for these progress double price.

P.S. And yeah, you right - I don't have to buy it. Until I'll have drops to 1 FPS because my PC is complete wreck, and new one that is "minimum recomended" costs like brand new audi. That's what we'll have in a 5 years.

Anyway, I'm sorry, maybe the price rise isn't that much in EU, so you won't be able to understand my anger....but in my country prices took off at 80-110% height. G4900 costs like 100 euro now.....

Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B450-I Gaming
Cooling Thermalright Assassin King 120 SE WHITE ARGB
Memory G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 16GB 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce RTX™ 2060 WINDFORCE OC 12G
Storage WD_BLACK SN770 1TB + Seagate 4TB SATA + WD Elements 4TB External
Display(s) LG 27GL650F-B
Case NZXT H210 White
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 550W
Recently I got a nice deal and grabbed a 1700x for 150 euros. I5 8400 is already above 200€ in Portugal, costing 50 euros more than a month ago.

Another foundry would require another tape out as the process would be different than the TSMC one. That was one reason AMD is not too upset by the Global Fountaries exit from 7 nm; they save money on the tape out.

Right now people are drawn to the AMD chips that are fabbed in Upstate NY. I don't think Zen 2 will reach client-segment before mid-2019, and by then TSMC 7 nm will go critical. AMD can always cannibalize its 7 nm GPU allocation to make more CPUs. I have a hunch that they'll seek out other 7 nm foundries as well.

Anybody here get in on the stock when it was at like $1.67 a few years ago?

I did, there was a brief moment in January of 2016 when I invested 10,000 shares at $1.82/share. I bought another $10,000 worth of shares later that year in July when it was $5.57/share. To this day, I think I got lucky - I weighed the research and risk. There were rumors about their new Zen architecture and putting 2 and 2 together, I figured their MCM design was the future until we get to 3D stacked or a new material.

Processor AMD 5800X
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Memory G.Skill 32GB
Software Windows 10
I did, there was a brief moment in January of 2016 when I invested 10,000 shares at $1.82/share. I bought another $10,000 worth of shares later that year in July when it was $5.57/share. To this day, I think I got lucky - I weighed the research and risk. There were rumors about their new Zen architecture and putting 2 and 2 together, I figured their MCM design was the future until we get to 3D stacked or a new material.
So you're about a year or so away from being a $ millionaire, assuming the most optimistic of price targets for AMD pan out.

So you're about a year or so away from being a $ millionaire, assuming the most optimistic of price targets for AMD pan out.

Nah, it doesn't quite work out like that after capital gains taxes. But yeah, it's going to help with my both of my nieces' college funds (no kids on my end...thank gawd) and whatever else they'll need.

Processor i7-4790K 4.6GHz @1.29v
Motherboard ASUS Maximus Hero VII Z97
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory G. Skill Trident X 2x8GB 2133MHz
Video Card(s) Asus Tuf RTX 3060 V1 FHR (Newegg Shuffle)
Storage OS 120GB Kingston V300, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB , 3TB Hitachi HDD, 2x5TB Toshiba X300, 500GB M.2 @ x2
Display(s) Lenovo y27g 1080p 144Hz
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) AKG Q701's w/ O2+ODAC (Sounds a little bright)
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 850w
Mouse Glorious Model D
Keyboard Rosewill Full Size. Red Switches. Blue Leds. RK-9100xBRE - Hate this. way to big
Software Win10
Benchmark Scores 3DMark FireStrike Score : needs updating
Righteous af m8. I was barely scraping by when it was down that low, I finally had some extra cash when it ran around $14 but it wasn't near as tempting as sub $2 lol.

Also Nvidia went from around $25 to $250 in that same time, the mining craze. And people say Nvidia doesn't make much selling consumer GPUs lol.

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
Next we're going to have an editorial with Dr. Su patting herself on the back while saying that it was a wise decision on AMD's part to be a node behind Intel.

Why should OEMs be unhappy? They love to sell crap PCs with slow CPUs, and the average buyer in Walmart or Best Buy doesn't know the difference. Last years, or even older APUs are dirt cheap and people are happy with anemic performance since they never had a decent PC.
Origin PC, Falcon Northwest, iBuypower, Digital Storm, Cyperpower etc. those OEMs?

Last edited:
I doubt AMD will dominate Intel any time soon because Intel is too big but Intel's misfortune's do help AMD claw back some much valuable market share.

Memory is not that difficult to produce. AMD could become major player in memory space today if they flooded the market with cheap DDR4. Manufactured at GloFo (because remember TSMC is at capacity and Samsung won't look kindly to someone manufacturing cheaper RAM at their foundry when they're trying to keep their cartel going. DDR4 does not need cutting edge manufacturing process either so GloFo's decision to not go past 14nm would not affect this.

Plus the upside would be AMD's ability to tune this DDR4 to work better for AM4 and TR4/SP3 platforms. I doubt they'll do it but it's an intresting idea to toy with i think.
I doubt AMD has patents for it. I really hope for more players in DRAM market though. This DRAM cartel is keeping prices at annoying level.

macxell

You remember this slides? :))

Poor Track Record, Inconsistent Supplier :))

good to know, because I need and want upgrade and was entertaining idea about i9-9900k or i7-9700k and was like: "ok, I know Ryzen 2700X is and will be better value, but I will wait for these intel reviews and see how I feel about it" but now ( from all I red in last few weeks) - thx intel for making this choice much more clear and easy now :rolleyes:. now the only question for my upgrade "problem" is: can I wait for Zen 2 (can we peak a Epyc benches soon and conclude something how good Zen 2 will be?) or to grab 2700X now?

You go 2700x now and sell it once the zen 2 arrives. Be sure to update bios when new zen chips and bios are available so your board will boot new chip. This is exactly what I did upgrading 1700x to 2700x. Be sure to get a good x470 board.