• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Most cancers caused by natural mutations

System Name octo1
Processor dual Xeon 2687W ES
Motherboard Supermicro
Cooling dual Noctua NH-D14
Memory generic ECC reg
Video Card(s) 2 HD7950
Storage generic
Case Rosewill Thor
That seems to be the message of a new and very controversial study.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/random-mutations-play-large-role-cancer-study-finds

The gist of the article is that there is a strong correlation between tissues and organs that have a high rate of cell division and cancer. They estimate that about 2/3 of all cancers result from normal mutations that accumulate during the division of stem cells. That leaves about 1/3 that result from environmental and other factors.

But many scientists contest this new study especially since it seems to negate public safety and education efforts. But as the article concludes.

In fact, Tomasetti and Vogelstein stress that their findings are compatible with cancer-prevention recommendations. Avoiding smoking, tanning beds, obesity and other known carcinogens can prevent the “environmental” mutations that combine with inherited and random mutations to tip cells into cancer. Without those final straws loaded from environmental exposures, tumors may be averted or greatly delayed.
emphasis added.

I sort of agree. I say "sort of" because I have nothing concrete to back my theory up.

To me, cancer is like certain groups of cells calling quits and decide to become something else and therefore going against the norm.

Old age triggers this most often. Some form of mutation is harmless (like thick hairs appearing where they shouldn't be).

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO 360 - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
I though everyone knew this. You cant cure something that's unpredictable by nature.

Processor Intel 7700K 5.1Ghz (Intel advised me not to OC this CPU)
Motherboard Asus Maximus IX Code
Cooling Corsair Hydro H115i Platinum
Memory 48GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 3200 Dual Channel (2x16 & 2x8)
Video Card(s) nVIDIA Titan XP (Overclocks like a champ but stock performance is enough)
Storage Intel 760p 2280 2TB
Display(s) MSI Optix MPG27CQ Black 27" 1ms 144hz
Case Thermaltake View 71
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 1000 Platinum2
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro (not recommded, I am on my second mouse with same defect)
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 1803
Benchmark Scores Yes I am Intel fanboy that is my benchmark score.
I though everyone knew this. You cant cure something that's unpredictable by nature.

Given enough time and research it is possible to cure. I am pretty sure they said same thing "You cant cure something that's unpredictable by nature." about plenty of illnesses 100 years ago.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
well this makes sense to me. if environmental factors were higher then everybody would seem to have cancer which just isn't true.

It makes sense that if you have many divisions of cells, there will be errors that later manifest in form of cancer or tumors. The fact we've extended our average life expectency from roughly 30 years to what, 75-ish means that as we go past our "ancient" life expectancy, more and more errors happen. And we are getting good at treating those as well now...

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
http://scienceblog.cancerresearchuk...the-hype-10-persistent-cancer-myths-debunked/

Number one, the biggest risk is age. It's always been known that cancer just happens. It's just modern media reporting that obfuscates that not through malice but ignorance.
However, those environmental factors play significant roles in increasing the prevalence of cancer. Imagine the decreased cost of medical expenses and increase in life if people took more responsibility.
If the environmental factors are only a third, that's still a huge positive to work on.