• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Motherboard/CPU Compatibility.

ex_reven

Im in the market for a third computer and Im wondering how exactly you work out what CPU's are compatible with which Motherboards and vice versa.

I dont want to ask you what motherboards I can get for such and such a CPU, i want to LEARN so that I know in the future :).

Is it the chipset that determines compatibility?
Eg - I was looking on intels website and their processor information didnt seem to show what chipset they are, if thats what I need to know.

Or are there a number of determining factors?

System Name Xbox 360 Super Elite
Processor 3.2GHz PowerPC Tri-Core Xenon
Memory 512MB 700MHz GDDR3 RAM
Video Card(s) ATI Xenos @ 500 MHz
Storage 250GB
Display(s) 26" Samsung LCD HDTV
Case Super Elite (COD:MW2 Edition)
Audio Device(s) 5.1
Power Supply 120w
Software NXE
yes it is the chipset, but these can be upgraded to allow further support for future technology if the hardware allows.

most electronics web site have motherboards and cpu's split into catalogues that can help you choose the correct cpu & MoBo combo.

Processor AMD's 6400+ Black, 5000+ Black
Motherboard MSI K9A2 Platinum, MSI K9A2 CF
Cooling Scythe Ninja, both of them
Memory 2 X 2 Geil PC6400, 2 X 1 Patriot PC6400
Video Card(s) MSI HD 3870, and ATI X1900 XT
Storage 500 Gig Seagate , and 320 Gig Seagate
Display(s) ACER AL2216W LCD, and Hyundai L90D+ LCD
Case Antec P-160 (Aluminum), and Antec 1650
Audio Device(s) Onboard AudioMax, and Audigy 2 Value
Power Supply Antec 850 Quatro, and Seasonic S-12 500
Software Vista Ultimate 64; Vista Home Premium 64,
For AMD AM2 platforms, you typically have Nvidia chipsets for the bulk of the boards, and you would need Nvidia for SLI (Two Video cards working as one). Then there are ATI chipsets, which seem to be very good and are necessary if you do Crossfire (Again two video cards of the ATI variety)

Then there is ULI (Bought last year by Nvidia) I have four Uli boards.... I guess I like them pretty good

SIS still does some somewhere?

And all make something for the Intel boards, but Intel is the big fish in that chipset pond.

Most setups for AMD are determined by the Socket, Socket A (Extinct) 754 and 939 (Going the way of the Dodo Bird) And now socket AM2, and F. Intel boards had many sockets 370, 478 and now seem to be going toward one .... LGA 775 so the chipsets make a big difference with Intel

I know you are in Australia, but www.newegg.com (A stateside site) offers a lot of pure information about a board you might be looking at. The US version is not always the same as the global version, but usually is and they have a lot of quick navigation feature that allow you to home in on a board to your liking. You can read the user reviews etc. just for your research and then go to you favorite shopping site to buy.