• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Motherboard for I5 3570K

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard B550 Aorus PRO V2
Cooling Corsair H115i RGB Platinum
Memory Gskill Trident Z Neo 3600 2x16GB
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3070 Trio X
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB NVME/Supertalent Teranova 2x1TB
Display(s) Acer XV340CK
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Logitech G513 Tactile
Software Windows 10 Pro
Simply find the Z77 motherboard that has all the expansion slots,features you need(good onboard audio if you dont have an audio card for example)and that has good reviews.

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
Honestly, I don't see the point of the ROG boards...

Super high price, an overabundance of confusing BIOS features, and they look good :)

I do have to add that the older ROG boards (I have two, an X38 and x48) are awesome and bullet proof. However, things seem to have changed.

Processor 8700k Intel
Motherboard z370 MSI Godlike Gaming
Cooling Triple Aquacomputer AMS Copper 840 with D5
Memory TridentZ RGB G.Skill C16 3600MHz
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 Ti
Storage Crucial MX SSDs
Display(s) Dell U3011 2560x1600 + Dell 2408WFP 1200x1920 (Portrait)
Case Core P5 Thermaltake
Audio Device(s) Essence STX
Power Supply AX 1500i
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win10
System Name Intel® X99 Wellsburg
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-5820K - 4.5GHz
Motherboard ASUS Rampage V E10 (1801)
Cooling EK RGB Monoblock + EK XRES D5 Revo Glass PWM
Memory CMD16GX4M4A2666C15
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 1TB /850 EVO 1TB / WD Black 2TB
Display(s) Samsung P2450H
Case Lian Li PC-O11 WXC
Audio Device(s) CREATIVE Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply EVGA 1200 P2 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G900 / SS QCK
Keyboard Deck 87 Francium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
My vote Maximus 5 Formula without ThunderFX.
For 250e board is not expensive at all for what offer and like top Intel motherboard.
So good sound card is always welcomed.
Because of that Maximus 5 Formula is for me better gaming board and for overclocking under air and water. Extreme is without 3 graphic card and LN2 more than you need.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800x @ 4,85Ghz
Motherboard AORUS MASTER X570
Cooling Costume External Water Loop 1080 Rad
Memory Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-3600 16GB @3800 mhz cl16
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Water
Storage Raid0 4 x Sasmsung 850 EVo, 980 1TB M.2
Display(s) ASUS Swift
Case Open test bench
Power Supply Be quiet! 850 P10
Mouse G703
Keyboard Old USB Dell Keyboard x2
VR HMD Rift S
Software Windows 11
I do have to add that the older ROG boards (I have two, an X38 and x48) are awesome and bullet proof. However, things seem to have changed.

My old Asus Striker Extreme (680i ) is still and even today under daily use working like a charm also my ASUS K8N4-E in an old Pc works still as well !

cadaveca

My name is Dave
My old Asus Striker Extreme (680i ) is still and even today under daily use working like a charm also my ASUS K8N4-E in an old Pc works still as well !

And neither run Windows8. :p

Older ASUS boards are fine, X79 is fine, P67 and Z68 are fine, only Z77 when combined with Windows8-supporting BIOSes are problematic in my testing.

What some product from 3 years ago was like hardly dictates what current ones are like...specifically in the case of ASUS since they contract completely different companies now to manufacture their products compared to 3 years ago, when they used Pegatron.

My vote Maximus 5 Formula without ThunderFX.
For 250e board is not expensive at all for what offer and like top Intel motherboard.
So good sound card is always welcomed.
Because of that Maximus 5 Formula is for me better gaming board and for overclocking under air and water. Extreme is without 3 graphic card and LN2 more than you need.

I have the ThunderFX version. The ThunderFX unit is really great, but this device has compatibility issues with other USB audio devices that I use, so the ThunderFX sits in the board's box. :p

As to the board, it worked GREAT when I did the review, but since updating BIOS to get proper Windows8 support, things have quickly gone downhill in regard to how well it works. I have the EXACT SAME PROBLEMS on the Gene and Extreme boards as well, and the Gene itself was one of the very first Z77 boards I reviewed, many many months ago. Again, update to most recent BOIS, and it's a useless paperweight now.

I don't pay for my boards, so to me, it's not a big deal...but if I had paid for them, and they did this, I'd be outright pissed. I won't recommend these products to others based on that, and that's quite difficult to admit, really, since my reviews of the Maximus V Gene and Maximus V Formula report a very different opinion than what I present here. If I reviewed them now in their current state, they'd get a 2/10, since that's about how often booting those boards actually works. :roll:

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 7 5800x @ 4,85Ghz
Motherboard AORUS MASTER X570
Cooling Costume External Water Loop 1080 Rad
Memory Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-3600 16GB @3800 mhz cl16
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Water
Storage Raid0 4 x Sasmsung 850 EVo, 980 1TB M.2
Display(s) ASUS Swift
Case Open test bench
Power Supply Be quiet! 850 P10
Mouse G703
Keyboard Old USB Dell Keyboard x2
VR HMD Rift S
Software Windows 11
And neither run Windows8. :p

Older ASUS boards are fine, X79 is fine, P67 and Z68 are fine, only Z77 when combined with Windows8-supporting BIOSes are problematic in my testing.

Windows 7 works fine on the Striker so i would presume so would windows 8

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Windows 7 works fine on the Striker so i would presume so would windows 8

Unfortuantely, that's not the case. I ran Windows7 perfectly fine too, but Windows8 is a different beast, that requires a BIOS update for proper support.

That BIOS update, broke the boards. And yes, flashing back to previous BIOS fixes some issues, but not all of them. Sad state of affairs, IMHO, since the worst issue left is that SSDs(both SATA 2 and SATA 3 SSDs, SATA and mSATA) are not recognized on cold boot, and it can take several boots before they are recognized.

Untitled.jpg

That BIOS was available for all three boards, and this is when problems began(August BIOS updates, you'll find each board got an update for this), and then got worse and worse with each successive version. The Extreme board has a newer version than the Gene and Formula (1501), and that's the worst of the bunch, at least, for me.

Really, in the end, I don't care what anyone buys. This is what I have experienced, and that is all. If I can save a user some frustration, I'm gonna let them know how to avoid it, and for now, that means ignoring ASUS.

Hopefully we'll see a new BIOS soon, and my opinion will go back to what it was before, that the ROG boards are the best there is.

Last edited:
System Name Thunder
Processor Intel I5 3570K
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V Pro
Cooling Thermalright Archon
Memory Gskill Ripjaws X 2*8Gb 1600MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD7950 Vepor X
Storage Seagate 500Gb + WD 3Tb
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster S22B370
Case Cooler Master HAF 912 Adv.
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar STX
Power Supply Corsair TX650M
Software Windows 7 64Bit
Unfortuantely, that's not the case. I ran Windows7 perfectly fine too, but Windows8 is a different beast, that requires a BIOS update for proper support.

That BIOS update, broke the boards. And yes, flashing back to previous BIOS fixes some issues, but not all of them. Sad state of affairs, IMHO, since the worst issue left is that SSDs(both SATA 2 and SATA 3 SSDs, SATA and mSATA) are not recognized on cold boot, and it can take several boots before they are recognized.

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=49604&stc=1&d=1357685041

That BIOS was available for all three boards, and this is when problems began(August BIOS updates, you'll find each board got an update for this), and then got worse and worse with each successive version. The Extreme board has a newer version than the Gene and Formula (1501), and that's the worst of the bunch, at least, for me.

Really, in the end, I don't care what anyone buys. This is what I have experienced, and that is all. If I can save a user some frustration, I'm gonna let them know how to avoid it, and for now, that means ignoring ASUS.

Hopefully we'll see a new BIOS soon, and my opinion will go back to what it was before, that the ROG boards are the best there is.

Okk. So no Asus . Then which one i buy ?

System Name Intel® X99 Wellsburg
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-5820K - 4.5GHz
Motherboard ASUS Rampage V E10 (1801)
Cooling EK RGB Monoblock + EK XRES D5 Revo Glass PWM
Memory CMD16GX4M4A2666C15
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 1TB /850 EVO 1TB / WD Black 2TB
Display(s) Samsung P2450H
Case Lian Li PC-O11 WXC
Audio Device(s) CREATIVE Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply EVGA 1200 P2 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G900 / SS QCK
Keyboard Deck 87 Francium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
If man with Maximus 5 Formula say that than listen.
I didn't know that but I have my favorite board and for now serve me well.
I recommend Maximus 5 Formula because I didn't know that, because I would ROG ALWAYS before ASRock, GIGABYTE, MSI and because if I recommend EVGA people will jump on me.

System Name Old Fart / Young Dude
Processor 2500K / 6600K
Motherboard ASRock P67Extreme4 / Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 DDR3
Cooling CM Hyper TX3 / CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 16 GB Kingston HyperX / 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1050 Ti / INNO3D RTX 2060
Storage SSD, some WD and lots of Samsungs
Display(s) BenQ GW2470 / LG UHD 43" TV
Case Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced / Thermaltake Core v31
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1/Denon PMA500AE/Wharfedale D 10.1/ FiiO D03K/ JBL LSR 305
Power Supply Corsair TX650 / Corsair TX650M
Mouse Steelseries Rival 100 / Rival 110
Keyboard Sidewinder/ Steelseries Apex 150
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 Pro

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Okk. So no Asus . Then which one i buy ?

Really, even a Biostar board will let you clock your CPU fairly well.

If you want to 24/7 OC, then you should try to get a board designed for that. IF you are running a single VGA, then your choices are many...pick the colours you like, find a board with them, spend a bit over $150 USD, and you'll have a great product, no matter what brand. Each brand have very similar performance, although some boards are better than others, marginally. If you take a look at my Gigabyte Z77X-UP7 review, you can see how close they all are together.

If you have ZERO intention to run Windows8, then you could go for an ASUS ROG board. Just please be wary when updating BIOS. Many OEMs had issues with Windows8 BIOSes, which makes me think there was a new UEFI base code update for that, but some board makers are having issues still. Some aren't clocking memory as well as they did before, while ASUS, for me, has much larger problems. As long as you are aware of the issues, and are willing to deal with them, they really aren't that bad, but they do exist.

If you want to run multiple cards, then that story changes a bit, where some boards are really better than others, as much as 8%.

Overall, the Intel Z77 Express platform is really really good, clocks well, sips the power, and gives amazing performance.

Crap Daddy's suggestion of the ASRock Z77 OC Formula is a great one...Nick Shih is available to help end users with any issues, gives really good answers to problems, and if the board itself needs some work to fix a problem, he WILL get it done. I gotta say, right now I have the utmost respect for Nick and the crew over at ASRock, so they are going to get my vote pretty damn often, for sure.

System Name Thunder
Processor Intel I5 3570K
Software Windows 7 64Bit
Really, even a Biostar board will let you clock your CPU fairly well.

If you want to 24/7 OC, then you should try to get a board designed for that. IF you are running a single VGA, then your choices are many...pick the colours you like, find a board with them, spend a bit over $150 USD, and you'll have a great product, no matter what brand. Each brand have very similar performance, although some boards are better than others, marginally. If you take a look at my Gigabyte Z77X-UP7 review, you can see how close they all are together.

If you have ZERO intention to run Windows8, then you could go for an ASUS ROG board. Just please be wary when updating BIOS. Many OEMs had issues with Windows8 BIOSes, which makes me think there was a new UEFI base code update for that, but some board makers are having issues still. Some aren't clocking memory as well as they did before, while ASUS, for me, has much larger problems. As long as you are aware of the issues, and are willing to deal with them, they really aren't that bad, but they do exist.

If you want to run multiple cards, then that story changes a bit, where some boards are really better than others, as much as 8%.

Overall, the Intel Z77 Express platform is really really good, clocks well, sips the power, and gives amazing performance.

Crap Daddy's suggestion of the ASRock Z77 OC Formula is a great one...Nick Shih is available to help end users with any issues, gives really good answers to problems, and if the board itself needs some work to fix a problem, he WILL get it done. I gotta say, right now I have the utmost respect for Nick and the crew over at ASRock, so they are going to get my vote pretty damn often, for sure.

Asrock Z77 OC formula out of race . It is EATX . My CM Haf 912 adv doesnt support EATX :(

In future i will be add another HD 7850, so need bettr mobo for 24*7 oc n multi GPU setup . So which one is gud for me ? How is Asrock Z77 Extreme 6 and Asus Z77 Sabertooth ?

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I haven't had either of those boards, so have no opinion on them. I imagine that the Sabertooth may have similar issues to the ROG boards, since it seems most ASUS boards share main BIOS code. Extreme6 should be good...I have the Z77 Extreme11 sitting here waiting for me to review, that's an interesting one, but I think that might be outside the form factor you need.

Gigabyte, you could go for the UD3 or UD5H, both are pretty good, and the UD3 is a sleeper OC board.

MSI Z77 MPower is very good too, although I have heard some users with MSI usual problem of BIOS limiting OC in some instances.

Personally, I really like the Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH. It's not a top performer, but having dual Thunderbolt ports is a nice thing, to me. Not everyone is interested in Thunderbolt yet though.

Biostar TZ77XE4 is great too, Crazyeyesreaper has one and cannot say enough good things about it. It won't clock memory as well as the bigger brands though, of course.

System Name Senile
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Case Rosewill
Mouse Logitech G5
Software Win 10
Huh, no leaning towards Gigabyte. The UDH5 is awesome and the price is right. Only minor downside is no dual 16x PCIe lanes if you were to go SLI/CF.

LOL Dave, as soon as I posted, you were right above me.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Huh, no leaning towards Gigabyte. The UDH5 is awesome and the price is right. Only minor downside is no dual 16x PCIe lanes if you were to go SLI/CF.

Same can be said for any Z77 board, really, except a few. I do not see it as something to really worry about, even though I have found that the boards that have PLX PEX8747 and offer x16 to dual slots perform better than x8/x8 boards.

I did mention the Gigabyte above a few times as well. That brand wasn't in his list of choices in the outset.

System Name Thunder
Processor Intel I5 3570K
Software Windows 7 64Bit

I dont want Gigabyte . Having veryyyyyyyyyy bad RMA experience . Pathetic after sales support :mad:

System Name Senile
Case Rosewill
Mouse Logitech G5
Software Win 10
System Name Thunder
Processor Intel I5 3570K
Software Windows 7 64Bit
Same can be said for any Z77 board, really, except a few. I do not see it as something to really worry about, even though I have found that the boards that have PLX PEX8747 and offer x16 to dual slots perform better than x8/x8 boards.

I did mention the Gigabyte above a few times as well. That brand wasn't in his list of choices in the outset.

That explains it.

Pls Chk this thread :-

http://www.techenclave.com/consumer-feedback/gigabyte-ga-890fxa-ud5-rma-143811/#post1772263

System Name Senile
Case Rosewill
Mouse Logitech G5
Software Win 10