• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Motherboard for new build

System Name EAGLE1
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master 1.1 / 1.2 I have the 1.2
Cooling Deep Cool Gamer Storm Assassin III
Memory ECC 128 GB
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster Merc 319 RX 6700XT
Storage 2TB NVME M.2
Display(s) SCEPTRE
Case Thermaltake Tempered Glass CORE X71
Audio Device(s) two speakers
Power Supply Super Flower 1600W & Be Quiet Po1200w, don't know if I'm going to use both, but definitely 1600W
Mouse wired
Keyboard wired
VR HMD none
Software Windows 10 PRO
Benchmark Scores none as of yet
Hello to everyone on this site. First off I'm new to this sits and I'm very glad I found a site that I can ask questions and get answers to them in a fairly quick manner. So with that being said this is my many questions. I will put these questions in several post that way I'm not holding anyone up by answering them. I am building my first Computer, actually it's going to be for my wife so she can play her games before she no longer can. She has Lupus and just found out last year she also has Connective Tissue Disease. No it's NOT contagious! Just to put anyone's mind at ease. The build I'm hoping will last several years with a few up grades every now and then. Enough of that. After the build and during it I will post pictures or videos of it. I have a case already It's the "THERMALTAKE TEMPERED GLASS CORE X71. It is big and I chose that so I can put all the components in it that she will need. First question sort of , First off is about the MOBO. I want to get one that I can upgrade the processor when need be. When answering my question(s) please keep in mind that it would be one that if you were to build it for your wife, mom, or family member. Also I want to thank everyone in advance for there support in helping me in this endeavor. Thanks again, have a nice day, and be safe.

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard MSI MPG X570S Carbon Max Wifi
Cooling CPU: bequiet! Dark Rock 4. Case fans: 2x bequiet Silent Wings 3 140s, 2x Silent Wings 3 120s
Memory 2 x 8 GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-4400 C19
Video Card(s) Sapphire NITRO+ RX 5700 XT
Storage 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E M.2, 1 TB SK Hynix P31 M.2, 1 TB Inland Professional, 500 GB Samsung 860 Evo
Display(s) MSI Optix MAG271CQR 1440p 144Hz, MSI Optix MAG241C 1080p 144Hz
Case Lian Li Lancool III
Audio Device(s) Philips SHP9500, V-Moda BoomPro, Sybasonic Better Connectivity USB DAC/Amp
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 80+ Gold 750W
Mouse Glorious Model D Wireless
Keyboard Custom Qwertykeys Navy QK80: Sarokeys Strawberry Wine switches, GMK CYL DMG3 keycaps
First off, welcome to TPU. We're glad to have you. Sorry to hear about your wife.

What sort of games does she play? Do you have a max budget for this build? What resolution/frame rate are you shooting for?

Before we delve into motherboards, let's talk about the case. It's a massive full tower case, designed for custom watercooling loops. I can understand reusing it if it was something you already had, but I would imagine that with this being your first build, you're just planning on a single GPU build. A full-tower case isn't necessary really. A normal ATX mobo, single GPU build will look tiny in a case like that. An ATX mid-tower, or even a micro-ATX case could accomplish the same goal while taking up much less space and making better use of the space the case provides.

As far as motherboards go, you have to start by deciding between AMD and Intel. Both have their pros and cons, and you'll find no shortage of people telling you one is better than the other. The gist is that Intel CPUs are (at this point in time) better if gaming is your only focus, and the AMD CPUs trade some gaming performance for being more well-rounded and are generally better when it comes to professional applications and multi-core workloads. Have you thought about CPU choice at all? That is needed before we can help you decide on a motherboard

System Name EAGLE1
Memory ECC 128 GB
Storage 2TB NVME M.2
Display(s) SCEPTRE
Power Supply Super Flower 1600W & Be Quiet Po1200w, don't know if I'm going to use both, but definitely 1600W
Mouse wired
Keyboard wired
VR HMD none
Software Windows 10 PRO
Thank you for the welcome. My wife plays games like: MONGOHN and things like that nothing fancy. My max budget would be about 1500-2500 when all done. I'm trying to get things a little bit at a time so that it doesn't hit to hard on the finances. I was planning on several GPU'S. WHY? It's just in case she wanted to play other games, like Warcraft, etc. I know it seams like a over kill on everything but that's how I am. EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED. I guess I get that from the service and my uncles that were in also. That being said I like AMD, just my preference. Again thanks for the welcome.

Another question unrelated to my first post. I got a thing about a trophy. For what and why?

Processor Ryzen 1600AF @4.2Ghz 1.35v
Motherboard MSI B450M PRO-A-MAX
Cooling Deepcool Gammaxx L120t
Memory 16GB Team Group Dark Pro Sammy-B-die 3400mhz 14.15.14.30-1.4v
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600 XT THICC II PRO
Storage 240GB Brave eagle SSD/ 2TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) Dell SE2719HR
Case MSI Mag Vampiric 011C AMD Ryzen Edition
Power Supply EVGA 600W 80+
Software Windows 10 Pro
Thank you for the welcome. My wife plays games like: MONGOHN and things like that nothing fancy. My max budget would be about 1500-2500 when all done. I'm trying to get things a little bit at a time so that it doesn't hit to hard on the finances. I was planning on several GPU'S. WHY? It's just in case she wanted to play other games, like Warcraft, etc. I know it seams like a over kill on everything but that's how I am. EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED. I guess I get that from the service and my uncles that were in also. That being said I like AMD, just my preference. Again thanks for the welcome.

Another question unrelated to my first post. I got a thing about a trophy. For what and why?
What is "MONGOHN" :confused:
Where do you live?

It's just forum points when you complete certain things like, list your specs, receive thanks, post so many messages etc, kinda useless really so don't worry about it.

In any case a Ryzen 3600/Intel 10400 and a 5600 XT/5700/2060/S class of GPU would seem to be ideal, able to play today's AAA games at 1080p/1440p and have enough "ooomph" for the next couple of years, paired with 16/32GB of DDR4 3200+ RAM and a 512GB SSD, I would imagine you couldn't go wrong with that kind of setup

System Name EAGLE1
Memory ECC 128 GB
Storage 2TB NVME M.2
Display(s) SCEPTRE
Mouse wired
Keyboard wired
VR HMD none
Software Windows 10 PRO
Ok I'm just starting to learn how to post and reply on here so if any one does send me a msg and I mess up on getting back to you SORRY ABOUT THAT! I'm from PA. I tried to put that in my profile but I guess it didn't go in MONGOHN is a game with all these things like domino's and you have to match them up

the first reply was to milewski1015 , the second was to xman2007

Display(s) Dell SE2719HR
Software Windows 10 Pro
Ok I'm just starting to learn how to post and reply on here so if any one does send me a msg and I mess up on getting back to you SORRY ABOUT THAT! I'm from PA. I tried to put that in my profile but I guess it didn't go in MONGOHN is a game with all these things like domino's and you have to match them up

the first reply was to milewski1015 , the second was to xman2007
I see it says PA now, didn't see it before, but maybe I just didn't notice? anyway you could play most mahjong games on a potato, so again I'd say go with a mid-tier CPU from either AMD or Intel (3600/10400 class) and a mid-tier GPU such as the 5600xt/2060 etc, more than enough for your needs but will still be fine in a few years to come, oh and it will play WOW or any other more graphically enhanced games you might want to play if that tickles her fancy, I don't think you need to spend your max budget either, you could likely build a PC with those kind of specs including monitor and OS for around the $1k mark give or take.

System Name EAGLE1
Memory ECC 128 GB
Storage 2TB NVME M.2
Display(s) SCEPTRE
Mouse wired
Keyboard wired
VR HMD none
Software Windows 10 PRO
I see it says PA now, didn't see it before, but maybe I just didn't notice? anyway you could play most mahjong games on a potato, so again I'd say go with a mid-tier CPU from either AMD or Intel (3600/10400 class) and a mid-tier GPU such as the 5600xt/2060 etc, more than enough for your needs but will still be fine in a few years to come, oh and it will play WOW or any other more graphically enhanced games you might want to play if that tickles her fancy, I don't think you need to spend your max budget either, you could likely build a PC with those kind of specs including monitor and OS for around the $1k mark give or take.
Oh ok, on everything you said on the build. What about the MOBO, X570, TR4, ?? also what is WOW?

Oh ok, on everything you said on the build. What about the MOBO, X570, TR4, ?? also what is WOW?
I was just able to put it into my profile about the state

Display(s) Dell SE2719HR
Software Windows 10 Pro

I was just able to put it into my profile about the state
You mentioned warcraft, I figured world of warcraft (WOW)

You definitely do not need TR4 this is for threadripper processors that are aimed at professionals/workstation users who need lots of processing power and CPU cores which in your case, you likely don't, even x570 might be a bit much for what you need and you could opt for a B550 motherboard with a Ryzen 5/7 CPU something along the lines of a Gigabyte B550 Aorus or Asrock B550 Pro 4 etc

System Name EAGLE1
Memory ECC 128 GB
Storage 2TB NVME M.2
Display(s) SCEPTRE
Mouse wired
Keyboard wired
VR HMD none
Software Windows 10 PRO
You mentioned warcraft, I figured world of warcraft (WOW)

You definitely do not need TR4 this is for threadripper processors that are aimed at professionals/workstation users who need lots of processing power and CPU cores which in your case, you likely don't, even x570 might be a bit much for what you need and you could opt for a B550 motherboard with a Ryzen 5/7 CPU something along the lines of a Gigabyte B550 Aorus or Asrock B550 Pro 4 etc
Thank you so much for all your feed back. About my case, I already had gotten it months ago and it's still in the box that it came in. I was waiting until I got all the parts I needed for the build before pulling it out of the box. But I think I'll save it and get her a smaller case with what I need. Thanks again for your help in this. Have a good night, be safe.

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Cooling CPU: bequiet! Dark Rock 4. Case fans: 2x bequiet Silent Wings 3 140s, 2x Silent Wings 3 120s
Storage 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E M.2, 1 TB SK Hynix P31 M.2, 1 TB Inland Professional, 500 GB Samsung 860 Evo
Case Lian Li Lancool III
Audio Device(s) Philips SHP9500, V-Moda BoomPro, Sybasonic Better Connectivity USB DAC/Amp
Keyboard Custom Qwertykeys Navy QK80: Sarokeys Strawberry Wine switches, GMK CYL DMG3 keycaps
Yeah, I agree with everything xman2007 had to say. Any decent midrange CPU/GPU pairing should cover your wife’s gaming needs just fine. TR4 is way overkill, and so is X570 to be honest. I was thinking something along these lines: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jTdKzN

System Name EAGLE1
Memory ECC 128 GB
Storage 2TB NVME M.2
Display(s) SCEPTRE
Mouse wired
Keyboard wired
VR HMD none
Software Windows 10 PRO
Yeah, I agree with everything xman2007 had to say. Any decent midrange CPU/GPU pairing should cover your wife’s gaming needs just fine. TR4 is way overkill, and so is X570 to be honest. I was thinking something along these lines: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jTdKzN
Thank you so much. As of yesterday it was going to be a surprise for her but she came to me and she told me she wanted a new pc thats when i told her what i had planed and she hugged me then told me to just get her one that's already built. those specs look great. I'll keep them in mind when I'm ordering her one On the many sites like MSI, ASUS, etc. Thanks again sir

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Case Lian Li Lancool III
Thank you so much. As of yesterday it was going to be a surprise for her but she came to me and she told me she wanted a new pc thats when i told her what i had planed and she hugged me then told me to just get her one that's already built. those specs look great. I'll keep them in mind when I'm ordering her one On the many sites like MSI, ASUS, etc. Thanks again sir
I would still opt to build it yourself personally. Generally companies selling prebuilts try and cut corners somewhere to maximize profit, make mistakes while building, or have incapable customer support. Linus Tech Tips did a whole secret shopper mini-series comparing prebuilt companies, and GamersNexus has reviewed a couple prebuilts as well.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
If you are in the mood for AMD and want to be able to upgrade there are several selections;

Cheap: Asus B450 Prime
Cheap but good: Asus B50 Prime M WIFI, MSI X570 Pro
Decent: Asus X570 Prime Pro, Asus X470 Crosshair
Overkill: As Rock X570 Taichi, Asus X570 Crosshair, As Rock B550 Taichi
TR4: 1st Gen As Rock X399 Phantom Gaming 6
2nd Gen MSI STRX TR40 Carbon

I listed these boards because they are either rock solid in terms of performance and or price. I personally have the Asus X570 Prime Pro on order. All of the boards support the current crop of CPUs. As others have said though the 3600 is the best price/performance CPU for AM4 (you cannot buy a 3300x).

System Name EAGLE1
Memory ECC 128 GB
Storage 2TB NVME M.2
Display(s) SCEPTRE
Mouse wired
Keyboard wired
VR HMD none
Software Windows 10 PRO
I would still opt to build it yourself personally. Generally companies selling prebuilts try and cut corners somewhere to maximize profit, make mistakes while building, or have incapable customer support. Linus Tech Tips did a whole secret shopper mini-series comparing prebuilt companies, and GamersNexus has reviewed a couple prebuilts as well.

thank you for your input. You gave me something to think about and talk to the wife, but ultimately it is her decision since she is the one that told me to go with it already built. Again Thank you for your input milewski1015

System Name Forgal
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Asus RoG Strix X570-E Gaming
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
Memory 4x16 GiB Crucial Ballistix PC4-28800, 16-18-18-38
Video Card(s) MSI Suprim Liquid GeForce RTX 4090
Storage 2 TB ADATA XPG SX8200Pro + 4 TB S860 + NAS
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF + LG 32UD99-W
Case Fractal Design Define 7 Compact
Audio Device(s) Audioengine HD3 + S8
Power Supply Super Flower SF-1000F14TP Leadex V P130X-1000 Pro
Mouse Razer DeathAdder 2
Keyboard Leopold FC900R OE mx-brown
I haven't used them lately, but co-workers have been satisfied with custom-built PCs ordered from CyberPowerPC. They offer a fairly decent selection of components that you can choose in the "custom configurator". They don't charge very much (usually less than $100) more for an assembled and tested system than you'd spend on the components yourself.

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Case Lian Li Lancool III
thank you for your input. You gave me something to think about and talk to the wife, but ultimately it is her decision since she is the one that told me to go with it already built. Again Thank you for your input milewski1015
Yeah, definitely not saying don't respect her wishes to just buy a prebuilt and be done with it. I just think building a PC is an extremely rewarding experience, and have seen sub-optimal prebuilts.

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
If your new or experienced, pcpartpicker is a great site to help visualize a build, it also offers a mostly reliable compatibility algorithm.