1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Motherboard hunting.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Toothless, Jul 14, 2014.

1. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Erm a mobo change would cost less considering he can get a sli capable board and 2 vc for less than a cpu, Board and 2 vc considering intel fetches a riduculous price for something that only shows perf gain in synth tests but real world isnt better than a Sandybridge chip...

2. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    thats just dreaming dude. you can never get more than 80% sli scaling on a good day. expect 50-70% as an average. also. nvidia cards have their sudden death issue which will mean 2x the chance of failure with SLI.

i bought a sli/crossfire board. but decided single cards are worth way more.

also when you finally upgrade from an sli you will not get back your investment as its already too old or probably broken.

3. Toothless

Toothless

Thanks Received:
    I think changing to a 4690k would probably be best. I just gotta find a AM3+ board to see if my FX-6300 is dead or not.

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. GorbazTheDragon

Thanks Received:
    Any news about that RMA? Asus not accepting it?

5. Toothless

Toothless

Thanks Received:
    I've gotta go and check up on it. I'll do that now.

EDIT: Nope. It's over the 30-day thing so NewEgg won't RMA it.

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. XSI

XSI

Thanks Received:
    i had litteraly 100% Sli scaling in many games with 8800gt (crysis 20 one 40+ in sli, cod4 40+ one 70-80+ for sli. ut3 same. world in conflict 90+% ). it was 6 years ago. so please dont tell me they got worse over the years. if scaling is 50-70% something else in the system has an effect. so maybe i got lucky but i had wonderful experience with my sli setup. except for micro stuttrler.

7. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    Should be able to go to the manufacturer for an RMA then. So you need to open a ticket with Asus.

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    explain this please
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/2365/12
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

XSI says thanks.
  9. GorbazTheDragon

Thanks Received:
    CPU Bottleneck

XSI says thanks.
  10. Toothless

Toothless

Thanks Received:
    Well my laptop charger just came in, so no more AIO bs. (Yay)

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. Toothless

Toothless

Thanks Received:
    Okay, so a family friend might be able to get me an i7 for cheap. So now I need a motherboard that'll go with an i7 4770k/4790k with a budget of $125.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. XSI

XSI

Thanks Received:
    "explain this" cpu bottleneck and another reason very early test even before crysis was out. i used my system with e8400@3.8 and about 6-8 month after this review.OP enjoy your new system.

13. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    Yes. In doubt it. You probably haven't heard of an and tech. But their scores are as reliable as can be. Look at the test setup. Its not being bottle necked.

14. GorbazTheDragon

Thanks Received:
    Anandtech make great reviews, but at least for the CoD4 one I am 100% certain it is a CPU bottleneck. The game runs on a single thread and an X6800 is far from great in single thread performance. My 3.2GHz ivy bridge CPU struggles to keep the game running at over 150FPS, so taking into account the older architecture of the CPU used in the benchmarks, and the fact that they don't seem to have overclocked it (so it runs at 2.93GHz) I would be surprised if that is not the bottleneck.

It also coincides with the fact that the lower 3 resolutions tested the SLI setup gives about the same FPS, while the single cards are already falling off slightly.

15. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    i doubt its a CPU bottleneck the core 2 duo extremes were great in their day. if there is something wrong it might be drivers. nothing else. and i doubt a good driver will make a huge difference.

you are comparing mobile CPU with desktop. which are very very different. your mobile CPU never gives peak performance because it is thermally restricted and it keeps throttling down.

and in any case newer cards arent supplied with as good drivers as before. neither are the newer games coded as efficiently.
    hence 80% max at best. that too subjected to high resolutions.

since most cards can already play the demanding games at ultra at 1080p for a very reasonable price of around 200$ i dont think SLI is specially useful. not at this time.

16. GorbazTheDragon

Thanks Received:
    During the tests I was running I had the CPU pinned to 3.2GHz and it was not by any means thermally restricted. Maximum temperatures in game were rarely over 65c. The only game I have played that the CPU can't maintain 3.2GHz is BF3, where I have to downclock it to 3.1GHz to avoid a TDP throttling scenario.

The x6800 is a dual core, but since ioquake is single threaded that doens't really make a difference (I think it is safe to assume that there were no background programs eating up CPU time), but given that the architecture has lower IPC than ivy bridge and runs at a lower clock speed than my CPU, on top of the possibility of other restrictions (memory bottlenecking, PCIe, etc) I would not at all be surprised if it is something other than the GPUs that is limiting the SLI (and even the singe card) setups at the lower resolutions.

Now for the OP, I would suggest getting a single card later on (GTX 870 or AMD equivalent) rather than another 660. I don't really see the point in having SLI outside the top end GPUs.

For the board I would suggest spending $15 extra and getting a Z97x-UD3H, Z97x-gaming5, or Z97-A. Even though you are not a big overclocker, it is so easy on Haswell that there is no excuse not to.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  17. XSI

XSI

Thanks Received:
    "and in any case newer cards arent supplied with as good drivers as before. neither are the newer games coded as efficiently.
    hence 80% max at best"
    that's a good point. anyway there were few games that liked 3.5Ghz+ on the cpu 3.0 and 3.5+ had some difference.
    you backed your point with proof, but that straight line with 2x8800gt surely CPU bottleneck. I think we can finish this, it doesn't really matter as OP decided to go for new platform and our sli debate is not worth it anymore.

18. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    If you want to save cash and don't mind losing overclocking, sli, and other features you could go with the cheaper chipsets.

XSI and de.das.dude say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  19. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    the clocks are straight does not mean that its running at full potential. you can lock a chip to 3GHz and it will only consume full power when it is needed not when its not under load. what happens in laptop is they lay back the load a bit. not just underclock.

also as i mentioned before mobile hardware and desktop hardware cannot be compared.

my laptop too runs a quadcore at 2.4ghz, an a crossfire of 7670m. but comparing that to real 7670 cfx is just foolish. it can only run things in high not ultra.

20. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    look at the graph! the 8800gt sli at 1280x1024 is just a few frames higher than 2560x1600! ie it is just barely faster at 1.3 megapixels than it is at 4 megapixels! 3x the pixels to generate!

So yeah at everything up to 2560x1600 a CPU bottleneck is present. This is normal, GPU's have outpaced CPU's ever since the Voodoo, Geforce, and Radeon lines launched. So you would need a newer cpu to go with the older 8800gt sli to avoid a cpu bottleneck. That being said I don't think there is much of one at 2560x1600 at which point the single 8800gt is hovering just above 50 and the sli is hovering just above 80. 60% for unreal, ~ 50% for COD4. Drivers could make up for the difference, but I still think 80% for 8800gt sli would be max. I have seen up to 90% on my GTX 480 sli, but that's several generations more that they've had to refine it.

XSI says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  21. Toothless

Toothless

Thanks Received:
    There goes the main topic. :(

Crunching for Team TPU
  22. GorbazTheDragon

Thanks Received:
    7670m =/= 7670... The same way the GTX 670m is not the same as the desktop 670, They are based on completely different chips.

The CPU performance of my laptop (when it is not throttling) is exactly the same as any other ivy bridge quad core with HT running at 3.2GHz. The way it works is that if there is thermal headroom it will boost from its base clock (2.4) to anywhere up to 3.2GHz. When the CPU is under load and I am not putting a very heavy load (furmark like) on the GPU the CPU runs at 3.2GHz and performs like a 3.2GHz ivy quad with HT. When there is not enough power (for example when I suck up too much power with the overclocked dGPU) the CPU will throttle to where it can fit within the power limits imposed by the BIOS

23. Toothless

Toothless

Thanks Received:
    Thread title changed. Have fun.

manofthem says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  24. XSI

XSI

Thanks Received:
    make some decisions: do you need sli/crossfire. plans to OC. other special features. prices going from 100-400$ so less you need cheaper you can get it

25. Toothless

Toothless

Thanks Received:
    No SLI/Xfire. Mild OCing. All I need is two PCIx16's and @x16/x4. One for my GPU and one for my sound card. I'll be running an i7 4770k or 4790k.

de.das.dude says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU