• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

motherboard jack out suddenly popping and crackling

Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard asus ROG Strix B-350I Gaming
Cooling Deepcool LS520 SE
Memory crucial ballistix 32Gb DDR4
Video Card(s) RTX 3070 FE
Storage WD sn550 1To/WD ssd sata 1To /WD black sn750 1To/Seagate 2To/WD book 4 To back-up
Display(s) LG GL850
Case Dan A4 H2O
Audio Device(s) sennheiser HD58X
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse MX master 3
Keyboard Master Key Mx
Software win 11 pro
Hi,
The jack out of my strix B350-I used to work fine for several months, then out of nowhere, I've started to heard pop, crackling and distorted sound from it. Sometimes it works fine again, but that doesn't last long.
The front jack out work fine. I'm using the drivers from asus website. Any clues at what's happening there ?

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO 360 - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
Could be from the software. If you enable any kind of volume control like SVM in a creative driver you can get random cracking sometimes.

Disable any features you might use one by one.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F
Cooling Dark Rock 4, 3x Corsair ML140 front intake, 1x rear exhaust
Memory 2x8GB TridentZ RGB [3600Mhz CL16]
Video Card(s) EVGA 3060ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Display(s) 27" MSI G27C4 FHD 165hz
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Power Supply Corsair RM650x v2
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores ask your mother
Could possibly be software related, but since you say the front jack works fine, it sounds like the jack may be going out. I had a strix b350-f for 6-7 months and as far as I can tell the driver treats front and rear the same, though it can mute the rear output when you plug headphones into the front if you want it to. It detects when you plug something in and gives you a choice, right?

I don't see that affecting one or the other separately, though. If something went wrong on the software end I'd assume both outputs would suffer for it.

Could just be bad contact inside the jack... ...loose solder joint... ...potentially a bad capacitor somewhere in the output section, though that's not as likely. Hallmark signs of a bad connection are as you describe. And you can verify it by gently wiggling the cord when it's plugged into the back. Movement will sometimes trigger it, though a bad connection doesn't always need movement to be set off, which might be why it comes and goes. Could also be that when you first plug-in it may seat just right, but as gravity sets in, it pops out again and the noises return.

Could just have crud in it. You could try canned air.

The other thing it could be is the cable. It may be hanging by a thread on the inside. In that case, the connection gets loose when it's hanging horizontally and switching it to a vertical orientation (by using the front jack) simply allows it to settle into forming a better connection. Try plugging something else into the back and see what happens.

Just some easy things to verify/rule-out. I do still think you should also try natr0n's advice, too.