• We've upgraded our forums. Please post any issues/requests in this thread.

motherboard power switch leads are fried!

Oh SoS

So my old board died (I wasn't 100% sure, but it turns out I was right)

I wanted to quickly boot test the replacement (open box deal), so I got a needle nose screwdriver, to close the circuit across the power switch pins...I've done this dozens of times in the past w/out incident.
Well this time, sparks flew...I'm not positive, but it's very likely I shorted across the USB pins right next to the power switch pins.

At any rate, the board would not power off when I closed the circuit again, and now won't power on...and that corner also has the very recognizable "burnt electronics" odor.
sucks.

ATX form factors have used this design for over a decade now (that is, the use of a temporary switch to close the circuit over those leads to power the board)...I've never heard of this happening before, but now that it has, it kind of seems like a weak design...anybody know of a work around?

Processor Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell Quad-Core 3.6GHz LGA 1150 84W
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-H87-D3H LGA 1150 Intel H87 HDMI
Cooling CPU - Cooler Master Hyper T4 / Case - cooler master 120mm rear case fan (Air cooling)
Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX660-DC2O-2GD5 2GB 192-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI support
Storage Samsung 500 GB 840 EVO SSD Drive
Display(s) ASUS 23" LED Monitor
Case COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 (silver & black)
Audio Device(s) (onboard audio) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply CORSAIR SU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit Edition
rma it and play dumb, its not the right thing to do since you were the one who destroyed it but it is the only remedy short of buying a new board