1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Motherboard/PSU Issues

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by HossHuge, Feb 1, 2009.

1. HossHuge

HossHuge

Thanks Received:
    I recently bought a MSI K9A2-CF motherboard and for some reason it won't work with my PSU. It works with others but not mine. With mine, it turns on and off in about 1 sec. I left the computer at the shop where I buy all my stuff so the guy can talk to the PSU salesman about it. The PSU is only 4 months old and when tested, works.

Has this happened to anyone before or do you think you know what could be causing this?

This is my PSU. Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  2. Damian^

Damian^ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Could be a dead psu, try it out on a different computer and see whats up.

HossHuge says thanks.
  3. HossHuge

HossHuge

Thanks Received:
    It has been tested and works fine. The guy tried a brand new PSU like mine and it didnt work either.

4. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Hello,

First, if that Phenom 9850BE is 125W make sure your as using a version 2 motherboard, supposedly, the version 1 motherboard does not support 125W processors. I have read that it will overheat the mosfets.

That board seems to be picky from what I read, about the power supply. So, if the guy at the computer shop, will; see if he will trade you or sell you, at a discount, a power supply that will work...

1. Now, try resetting the bios (remove the battery and let it set for a hour or so)
    2. try booting with no other devices connected except basic setup
    3. Swap , rearrange, memory and use the minumum amount to get going
    4. If you get going update your bios to the latest version. I think it is 1.8...
    5.If, all else fails try the cpu and mem in another board and or try another cpu or mem in yours.

Hopefully, some one else will have experience with this and help. As, I can only go by what I read. I do not have experience with this motherboard.

HossHuge says thanks.
  5. HossHuge

HossHuge

Thanks Received:
    I haven't checked what bios it is running yet, So I will ask him to do that. He did try it with different companies PSU and it booted up fine.

6. sweeper

sweeper New Member

Thanks Received:
    If he tried different PSU's and it booted up fine ... there's your answer. Swap out that PSU with one that works correctly.

10 Year Member at TPU