• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Motherboards and BCU

Bald Eagle

One thing I have experienced is that certain Motherboard suppliers infest their users with BCU (Browser Configuration Utility), a parasitic implant that does absolutely nothing for the unfortunate user but hog the memory and generate a huge number of events. It is also said to slow down the computer and dominate browsing freedom.

My Firewall logged over 10,000 BCU records in no time at all under "Processes Detected", a massive log of irrelevant events, all due to BCU activity.

My Motherboard is supplied by Gigabytes Technology but another Motherboard that infests the poor user with this BCU plague is Asus, there may be others.

I uninstalled BCU with Revo Uninstaller, getting rid of all leeching remnants of it and life is now good, not a wisp of operational efficiency detected in being without this BCU parasite and my FW is no longer trying to burst it`s capacity (and my memory) keeping up with those thousands of insignificant and useless BCU event logs.

Conclusion :- If you have BCU contaminating your PC, then DUMP IT quick !

Bo$$

Lab Extraordinaire
System Name Desktop | Server
Processor Intel i7 2700k @ 4.6GHZ | AMD 5350 @ 2500MHZ
Motherboard Asus P7Z77-V Pro | Asus AM1I-A
Cooling Corsair H60v2 | Stock Air
Memory Crucial Ballistix 2x8GB CL8 1600MHZ | Corsair Vengence 2x4GB CL9 1600MHZ
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 6GB | PNY GTX 750Ti
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + 4TB WD Red | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Display(s) Samsung S27D390H + Asus VE276Q | Headless
Case Fractal Design R5 | CM Elite 110
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1 w/Otone Stilo 5.1 and Creative Fatal1ty headset
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 850 G2| Corsair CX430M
Mouse Razer Imperator 2012
Keyboard Corsair K90
Software Windows 7 SP1 X64 | Ubuntu 16.04LTS
What the hell is it? what applications contain this?

System Name PC-Chips
Processor Ryzen 5 5600x
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming.
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Air Cooler 6 heat pipes.
Memory Patriot Viper 32gig dual channel 3600mhz
Video Card(s) PowerColor HellHound RX 7900 GRE OC
Storage 2X Samsung 860 EVO SSD's 500gig / 2TB crucial P3-NVME / WD-BLUE SN550 1TB M.2 / SP A55 512gig
Display(s) Panasonic 40-inch 4k TV
Case Modded NZXT H510
Audio Device(s) Realtek S1220A - Yamaha A-S501 AMP - 4 x Wharfedale diamond 9.1 speakers - Wharfedale SW150 sub
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G6 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse Some cheap wireless thing
Keyboard Razer Cynosa lite
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2 128gig version
Software Windows 11 pro 64bit
Not even heard of it before but then again i do not install all the crap that comes on ther mobo cd/dvd as most of it is useless.
If people have probs with what ever it is your on about then its there own fault for installing the program and not the fault of the mobo manufaturers.

None of us are forced to install the crapware.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Not even heard of it before but then again i do not install all the crap that comes on ther mobo cd/dvd as most of it is useless.
If people have probs with what ever it is your on about then its there own fault for installing the program and not the fault of the mobo manufaturers.

None of us are forced to install the crapware.

On the other hand it's the makers that ship the crap/bloatware in the first place. Take bloatware, a friends brand new (at the time) HP six-core Phenom II system with 6GB of RAM was fiendishly slow because HP have massive amounts of bloatware on their systems. I very much blame the OEM's for that, and I kinda do the same with "crapware".

Bald Eagle

With great respect, I am amazed that posters are saying "What the hell is it? What applications contain this? and "Not even heard of it before but then again I do not install all the crap that comes on their mobo cd/dvd ".

I thought this was a knowledgeable Forum. Obviously my optimism was premature. I am quiet disappointed.

It is widely known throughout the computer user world that BCU really does exist and the web is full of users trying to get rid of it. My OP makes it clear how to "get rid of it" with the sheer artistry of an amateur magician.

Again with great respect, I clearly explained HOW this BCU parasite gets onto users systems, you appear not to have read it or completely misunderstood it.

It is NOT the USER who installs this useless piece of crap with some Death Wish Gung-Ho enthusiasm, it is the SUPPLIER of the Motherboard who infests our PC with it, completely unknown to us. The first time we ever know that BCU is on our system is when we see some evidence of it (Over 10,000 FW events is sure eye catching). Then WE start asking "What the hell is it?" and hit the web and all kinds of Forums with that very question, in our angry hundreds.

The purveyors of this useless piece of software ardently state that the beast speeds up browsing and some gullible users actually believe it. Of course it does not, it hogs memory and CPU, then profusely clutters up the system with thousands of unwanted log records.

Rumour has it that all this piece of BCU crap does is provide a monumental cache to store all the websites in, so that it speeds up access when the user needs them again. An ever growing and non-deletable monster memory devourer. But Hey chaps ! Is`nt that what EVERY browser provides - a cache - as routine to "speed" up site access ? Of course they do and THEIR caches can be deleted on browser closure. My Firefox is rigged to clear the cache on browser shutdown.

It is said that this BCU maggot comes with the Motherboard installation CD, so possibly users could omit it if they are lucky or experienced enough to spot it. But like toolbars, users often miss an unscrupulously included tiny box which is checked by default and simply carry on. My Motherboard was installed by others, I had nothing to do with it.

If you have never had the privilege of meeting this nuisance in your long experience of plonking the PC keyboard, then surf the web and you will be inundated with a mass of BCU information, questions, answers and general comments, not all good. But your life will be enhanced by the rich experience of actually brushing shoulders with the infamous but obviously unknown to some people - BCU.exe.

I placed this widely known issue on here in the interest of any unfortunate victim of the BCU maggot who may read it and possibly be overjoyed to take the same action as I have. Also I hoped for some constructive comments which could supplement my own experience and knowledge.

Ah well, I tried. Can`t win `em all can you ?

PS - I offer you a thousand sincere apologies for using the computer buff`s abbreviated slang of "BCU". That is what we all call it to save precious breath, the actual maggots fancy party name for PC technical use and surfing is "BCU.exe". Entering just "BCU" will get you everything from Builders Construction Union to God knows what else.

Last edited:

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
@OP
You might want to try not to insult members on the forum.

You did not explain why BCU.exe is terrible; except to give a very brief FUD post.
And, by your first few lines, you make it sound... as if, it is embedded in the motherboards, themselves.

You state that and I quote:
It is NOT the USER who installs this useless piece of crap with some Death Wish Gung-Ho enthusiasm, it is the SUPPLIER of the Motherboard who infests our PC with it, completely unknown to us.

Which, is false. You, even, state, that you uninstalled it and that shows it is installed at some point by the user. Might be unknowingly, which would show, that, the user did not read the readme files or use the custom install of the disk that comes with the motherboards.

The vendors of these type of products, either, add what they think/believe the consumer wants or would be of a benefit.
Or, they add it, because they can profit from it and, also, offset some manufacturing costs.
Do you, really, think they are doing it to piss of their users/customers?

Your second post clarified your OP a little, but not before you insulted the posters and forum.

Yes, BCU.exe is useless, to most, but some find it works properly with the setup they have or have never looked to test it.
Some versions, also, had a bad memory leak.
It was originally developed by DeviceVM, which was absorbed into Splashtop.

If it is not to your liking; then, by all means uninstall it!

Just, don't insult the members, because some ask questions. Asking questions and being answered is how they become informed and knowledgeable.

Some info here for anyone interested:Splashtop info at Wikipedia

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
From what I know it installs Google as your search engine. BCU is something limited to Gigabyte products. This isn't something most people even bother thinking about because it really isn't much of an issue.

Of course, many people here are educated enough not to install useless programs on their computers from the usually outdated motherboard install CD.

:toast:

Bald Eagle

From what I know it installs Google as your search engine. BCU is something limited to Gigabyte products. This isn't something most people even bother thinking about because it really isn't much of an issue.

Of course, many people here are educated enough not to install useless programs on their computers from the usually outdated motherboard install CD.

:toast:

Now THAT is one of the most diplomatic posts I have ever read. I am overwhelmed with respect.

I would like to say to Viper, that it was not my intention to insult anybody, just to adequately reply to the rather terse posts which I received. I would also add that excluding the personal comments, Viper did offer a constructive extract of the BCU controversy, for which I thank him dearly.

Me ? Having shot BCU with the requisite silver bullet, I would sincerely like to wish you all a Very Happy New Year.