• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Moviemans: Let's Make a Supercomputer! May1-May8,2010

Processor 5800x(2)/5700g/5600x/5600g/2700x/1700x/1700
Motherboard MSI B550 Carbon (2)/ MSI z490 Unify/Asus Strix B550-F/MSI B450 Tomahawk (3)
Cooling EK AIO 360 (2)/EK AIO 240, Arctic Cooling Freezer II 280/EVGA CLC 280/Noctua D15/Cryorig M9(2)
Memory 32 GB Ballistix Elite/32 GB TridentZ/16GB Mushkin Redline Black/16 GB Dominator
Video Card(s) Asus Strix RTX3060/EVGA 970(2)/Asus 750 ti/Old Quadros
Storage Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB/WD Black M.2 NVMe 500GB/Adata 500gb NVMe
Display(s) Acer 1080p 22"/ (3) Samsung 22" 1080p
Case (2) Lian Li Lancool II Mesh/Corsair 4000D /Phanteks Eclipse 500a/Be Quiet Pure Base 500/Bones of HAF
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 850G(2)/EVGA Supernova GT 650w/Phantek Amps 750w/Seasonic Focus 750w
Mouse Generic Black wireless (5)
Keyboard Generic Black wireless (5)
Software Win 10/Ubuntu
When XS site went down, some of them did fold/crunch and post for TPU. Give credit where due.

Of course they did, and it was very appreciated. I have nothing but respect for many of those guys. However, CP's post above explains why I will not go out of my way to participate in their competition.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Agreed. While they helped I do not think they expect us to join them. This is more of a site thing. Like if TPU went down I would fold for them if I went to XS. Like they folded for us when they were here. Their good guys and people just like us. They respct us we respect them. However in the case of "compititions" for lack of a better term. I dont think either of us (TPU/XS) would expect anything from the other.

BUCK NASTY

4P Enthusiust
System Name Main Rig
Processor AMD FX-4130 @ 4.8Ghz
Motherboard ASUS M5A99X Evo
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper 212+
Memory 8GB GSkill DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX 970 Strix @ 1503Mhz Core
Storage Corsair Force 90gb SSD/ WD Caviar Blue 750gb
Display(s) ASUS 24" IPS
Case Coolermaster Centurion 590
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Antec TP750 80+
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64
I agree with CP. I am all too familiar with the cold shoulder of XS. We are good on our own. Better yet, if anyone is feeling philanthropic, why not focus their efforts on helping promote small teams as Rammie has done.

Movieman

Hi Guys,
Maybe time for me to explain the details of what you saw.
First thing is that my intent was just aimed at the XtremeSystems guys.
No thought at all of taking any people from other teams and in fact when I posted a link to what we were attempting over at IBM's WCG forum a guy from another team said we'll come and help and I told him no, that wasn't what we were trying to do.
It's just to get the regular XS guys who aren't into DC to come and see if all the machinery we have at XS equals the worlds great supercomputers.
I happen to think it does. I know the IBM WCG developers, they told me they could give close estimates of teraflops( hopefully petraflops) and it seemed like a good way to go with the added benefit of getting extra work down for WCG..
That simple, no sneaky crap, just that black and white.
Now I saw here that someone came to Xs from TPU asking for help and they got a cold shoulder? I wasn't aware of this.
I know 123bob and others came here to help with your WCG team and that was good of them.
I didn't but it wasn't because of any animosity to TPU, it was because I'm very closely ascoiated with Xs WCG team and that is my home and I don't travel from it.
Not personal at all and I have nothing but respect for the TPU guys here.
Thanks for reading,
Dave

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Hi Guys,
No thought at all of taking any people from other teams and in fact when I posted a link to what we were attempting over at IBM's WCG forum a guy from another team said we'll come and help and I told him no, that wasn't what we were trying to do.
It's just to get the regular XS guys who aren't into DC to come and see if all the machinery we have at XS equals the worlds great supercomputers.
I happen to think it does. I know the IBM WCG developers, they told me they could give close estimates of teraflops( hopefully petraflops) and it seemed like a good way to go with the added benefit of getting extra work down for WCG..
Now I saw here that someone came to Xs from TPU asking for help and they got a cold shoulder? I wasn't aware of this.
I know 123bob and others came here to help with your WCG team and that was good of them.
I didn't but it wasn't because of any animosity to TPU, it was because I'm very closely ascoiated with Xs WCG team and that is my home and I don't travel from it.
Thanks for reading,
Dave

:toast: well said.

System Name SynChron
Processor Intel Core i7 3820
Motherboard ASROCK X79 Extreme 9
Cooling CoolerMaster Hyper 212X with 2 Noctua NF-F12 fans in push/pull
Memory 4x2gb Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 CL9
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 770 DCu2
Storage Samsung 830 128gb SSD, 1TB Western Digital Velociraptor, Seagate Barracuda 320gb 7200rpm SATAIII
Display(s) HP x2301 LED
Case Corsair Obsidian 750d
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply Seasonic X - 660Watt Gold
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Whatever the misunderstanding that XS and TPU has, in the long run we are all helping in our own "small way". WCG becomes "big" because each of the hundreds of thousands of members contribute individually.

As for team XS's project, much props to you guys!:respect: As Movieman has already clarified, the project was intended for XS members. And I wish them good luck on this task! I know they would meet their objective or maybe even surpass it given their "projected computing power"!;) If they achieve this goal then It would be a greater "Win" for those Cancer, AIDS, and MD patients!:)

Again, much thanks to XS's help to TPU!:rockout:

To XS on their upcoming Project! Go beat them SuperComputers! :toast:

Crunch on!

System Name Hogan's Crap
Processor Intel i3-2120 Crap!
Motherboard Dell POS Crap!
Cooling Stock Crap!
Memory 4 GB Kingston DDR3 10600 Crap!
Video Card(s) Stock Crap!
Storage 500 GB 5400 rpm Crap!
Software Windows 10 64bit
Hi Guys,
Thanks for reading,
Dave

GL to you all at XS. Crunch on! :toast:

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair X670E Hero
Cooling EK FLT 240 DDC, x2 Black Ice Nemesis 360GTX, x1 EK-Quantum Surface P240, Phanteks D30-120 fans x9
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo RGB Series (AMD Expo) DDR5 RAM 32GB (2x16GB) 6000MT/s CL30
Video Card(s) ZOTAC Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 AMP Extreme AIRO
Storage Samsung Pro 980 2TB NVMe (OS and Games) // WD Black 10TB HDD (Storage)
Display(s) Samsung 49" Ultrawide Gaming Monitor
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply ASUS Rog Thor 1200 Certified 1200W
Software Windows 11 64 Bit Home Edition
Hi Guys,
Thanks for reading,
Dave

Hey Dave, thanks for stopping by and clearing this up. I knew it was for XS as I am a member and I received the email, but this got posted here and you know how that goes anywhere. Don't worry dude, nobody here has anything personal against you, and we all know the kinda person you are. As I said in previous post, good luck to you guys and I wish you'll the best with this little project you'll are trying to get going. :toast:

Whatever the misunderstanding that XS and TPU has, in the long run we are all helping in our own "small way". WCG becomes "big" because each of the hundreds of thousands of members contribute individually.

As for team XS's project, much props to you guys!:respect: As Movieman has already clarified, the project was intended for XS members. And I wish them good luck on this task! I know they would meet their objective or maybe even surpass it given their "projected computing power"!;) If they achieve this goal then It would be a greater "Win" for those Cancer, AIDS, and MD patients!:)

Again, much thanks to XS's help to TPU!:rockout:

To XS on their upcoming Project! Go beat them SuperComputers! :toast:

Crunch on!

There was not really a misunderstanding, just wanna make sure we are all on the same page. Actually, there wasn't a misunderstanding.

When XS site went down, some of them did fold/crunch and post for TPU. Give credit where due.

You bet we do, check my previous post :toast:
http://forums.techpowerup.com/showpost.php?p=1855758&postcount=15

I agree with CP. I am all too familiar with the cold shoulder of XS. We are good on our own. Better yet, if anyone is feeling philanthropic, why not focus their efforts on helping promote small teams as Rammie has done.
RAMMIE :respect:

System Name SynChron
Processor Intel Core i7 3820
Motherboard ASROCK X79 Extreme 9
Cooling CoolerMaster Hyper 212X with 2 Noctua NF-F12 fans in push/pull
Memory 4x2gb Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 CL9
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 770 DCu2
Storage Samsung 830 128gb SSD, 1TB Western Digital Velociraptor, Seagate Barracuda 320gb 7200rpm SATAIII
Display(s) HP x2301 LED
Case Corsair Obsidian 750d
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply Seasonic X - 660Watt Gold
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
There was not really a misunderstanding, just wanna make sure we are all on the same page. Actually, there wasn't a misunderstanding.

Good to know that Cap'n!:respect: This is why I love TPU! The people here rocks!:pimp:

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair X670E Hero
Cooling EK FLT 240 DDC, x2 Black Ice Nemesis 360GTX, x1 EK-Quantum Surface P240, Phanteks D30-120 fans x9
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo RGB Series (AMD Expo) DDR5 RAM 32GB (2x16GB) 6000MT/s CL30
Video Card(s) ZOTAC Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 AMP Extreme AIRO
Storage Samsung Pro 980 2TB NVMe (OS and Games) // WD Black 10TB HDD (Storage)
Display(s) Samsung 49" Ultrawide Gaming Monitor
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply ASUS Rog Thor 1200 Certified 1200W
Software Windows 11 64 Bit Home Edition
Good to know that Cap'n!:respect: This is why I love TPU! The people here rocks!:pimp:

no problem bro, we owe a big part of our success to them and I do acknowledge that :toast:

RAMMIE

I don't think any of you know but when XS went down I was a long time member of XS WCG.I had already taken walkabouts to other teams but always returned to XS.Just so happened that when XS went down I discovered that TPU had just started a team and thought what a great place to park my rigs for awhile.The rest is history.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
The entire BOINC project recently broke 5.0 PetaFLOPS.

The world's fastest super computer as of Novemeber 2009 was at 1.7 PetaFLOPS.

If more than 34% of all computers on BOINC are not working for XS (which they are not), it will not beat the world's fastest super computer. Even then, that 1.7 PetaFLOPS is CPU power only (LinPACK tested) where the 5.0 figure includes GPUs.

System Name Phobos/Cronus/Janus
Processor 3950x/1950x/3700x
Motherboard Auros Ultra/Auros Gaming 7/Fatal1ty ITX/ac
Cooling Custom Water
Video Card(s) 2x1070ti/4x2070 Super/RX5700
Case STH10/TH10/Nano S
Power Supply SeaSonic 1200w/SeaSonic 1200w PRIME + SeasSonic 1000w/eVGA 850 Bronze
The difference is not how many machines, but rather how much power the machines at XS have. Movieman is talking about getting more machines, than they currently have, from XS to crunch for at least a week to see if they can do it.

No matter how you spin it, it's not bad.. at least not for WCG. ;)

I'd like to see if they can do it, I know they have some powerful machines(that many people don't have)...

Processor 5800x(2)/5700g/5600x/5600g/2700x/1700x/1700
Motherboard MSI B550 Carbon (2)/ MSI z490 Unify/Asus Strix B550-F/MSI B450 Tomahawk (3)
Cooling EK AIO 360 (2)/EK AIO 240, Arctic Cooling Freezer II 280/EVGA CLC 280/Noctua D15/Cryorig M9(2)
Memory 32 GB Ballistix Elite/32 GB TridentZ/16GB Mushkin Redline Black/16 GB Dominator
Video Card(s) Asus Strix RTX3060/EVGA 970(2)/Asus 750 ti/Old Quadros
Storage Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB/WD Black M.2 NVMe 500GB/Adata 500gb NVMe
Display(s) Acer 1080p 22"/ (3) Samsung 22" 1080p
Case (2) Lian Li Lancool II Mesh/Corsair 4000D /Phanteks Eclipse 500a/Be Quiet Pure Base 500/Bones of HAF
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 850G(2)/EVGA Supernova GT 650w/Phantek Amps 750w/Seasonic Focus 750w
Mouse Generic Black wireless (5)
Keyboard Generic Black wireless (5)
Software Win 10/Ubuntu
Hi Guys,
Thanks for reading,
Dave

I truly appreciate the explanation. Good luck with the competition! :toast:

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Everyone who crunches knows that we have teams. The teams are the fun we have competing, but they are not the reason that we crunch. It does not matter who crunches for whom, in the end we all win when it produces results.

Everyone jump over to the XS team for their attempt to see what we can do. They will all jump over here if we need them for something.

Crunch on.

Hi Guys,
Thanks for reading,
Dave

:eek:I say we keel haul em:eek:

:D