• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Moving a dial up connection across computers

ex_reven

Ok guys, the beatdown is that im swapping out the hardware from an old packard bell (piece of shite) with a newer IBM that i have lieing around.

The PB belongs to my grandparents who have dial up internet and it originally had Windows ME.

The IBM has XP on it and much better hardware. The one thing Ive never done before is setting up a dial up connection.

The PB has a modem that I will move across into the IBM, but I dunno what i need to do on the software end of things other than install the drivers for it. How do I set up the dial up internet?

Thankyou for your time.

Namslas90

Use the Windows internet connections wizzard, just choose the Dial-up connections checkboxes etc. It's made to be easy.

:toast:

teteous

Processor Intel Pentium D Processor 820* 2.80GHz 800MHz FSB 2MB L2 Cache
Motherboard Asus P5PE-VM LGA775, 1066/800/533MHz
Cooling 2 large fans with a mini-desktop fan blasting it cool
Memory 2x 1GB DDR-400
Video Card(s) Radeon X1950 PRO 512mb GDDR3
Storage 1x 120GB, 2x 80GB
Display(s) ASUS MW221U - 22" 16:10 widescreen HDCP 2ms response time
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster something or other
Power Supply Noisetaker II DXX 485W CrossFire™
Software Windows XP PRO
When i used to have dialup, well, i had it over a wireless connection.. with 3 computers connected it was hell, well thats off subject.. but.. Just set it up with the wizard, it should cover everything. Then a box will pop up where u must put the dialup connection details in and then it makes the very annoying dialing (you can disable the sound thank god)