1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Mozilla Admits Security Breach, Promises Fix by February 5th

Discussion in 'News' started by zekrahminator, Feb 1, 2008.

1. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Jan 29, 2006
    9,113 (2.32/day)
    Thanks Received:
    My house.
    It would appear that running any of 600 add-ons in Mozilla Firefox opens up a terrible hole. When exploited, this hole allows a hacker to steal "session information, including session cookies and session history". Mozilla promises a fix by February 5th, with the release of Firefox version While Mozilla classifies this threat as a "high risk", there is some controversy in the hacker world as to how bad this threat really is. According to a hacker, via "hiredhacker.com", this isn't as big a problem as people have made it out to be. However, it is certainly more serious than "leaking a few variables", and should definitely be patched as soon as possible.

Source: Neowin.net
    10 Year Member at TPU
  2. 1c3d0g

Dec 9, 2007
    730 (0.23/day)
    Thanks Received:
    Well, as long as it's patched up quickly, no problem. :) This is why I like Mozilla and Open Source software in general, every issue is resolved as fast as possible to minimize any inconvenience they may cause. That's more than I can say of some *other* software company... :mad:
  3. qwerty_lesh

Jul 26, 2007
    534 (0.16/day)
    Thanks Received:
    Melbourne, Australia
    altho i can see how thats a good thing, admitting its responsable for the developers to announce the discovery of flaws and risks in their software. i am personally doubtfull that this will get patched very quickly, ive know mozilla to sit on their hands about previous security flaws for firefox. ( i beleve one flaw didnt get patched for 24months )
    (not trying to start flame blah) just imho.