• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MPAA Threatens to Cut Google from Internet

vbx

Processor E8500 Core 2 Duo
Motherboard ASUS P5Q-EM
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper Z600
Memory Gskill 4gb DDR2 1066
Video Card(s) HIS 4670
Storage WD 320gb black
Display(s) Asus MS226H 21.5 monitor
Case Antec P180 Mini
Power Supply Antec NEO ECO 620C
Software Windows 7 x64
jesus read the story before jumping with, YOU CANT TAKE DOWN GOOGLE shite,

google operates a free wifi service and people were using it to download torrents so google got warned about this and they would be liable as they operate the service.

THATS ALL! just read it, its a simple couple of letters that is just a standard procedure.......nothing more, its just the media making a story out of nothing, but i guess you already know that as your have read the above post correctly.

at the worst Google may be forced to add a BitTorrent-related filter to its hotspot service, thats all!

NO ONE IS TRYING TO TAKE DOWN GOOGLE! jesus sometimes people remind me that we evolved from apes.

So what if google provided hotspots and people used them to download torrents? You can't sue GOOGLE for that.

What next? Sue Time Warner Cable because their subscribers are using their services to download torrents?
What's after that? Sue Newegg.com for selling laptops, and PC that consumers used to download torrents?
Then what? Sue HP, Apple, Dell, for making laptops and PC that people used to download torrents?
What then? Sue Blank CD / DVD manufactures? Sue Hard Drive Companies?

They are only going after google because Google has money.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64

And that probably isn't the best idea since Google has the money to hand them their ass on a silver platter with all the trimmings. But then again the MPAA/RIAA has never really been that sane in their actions...

Processor Intel i7 970 // Intel i7 2600K
Motherboard Asus Rampage III Formula // Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Cooling Zalman CNPS9900MaxB // Zalman CNPS11X
Memory GSkill 2133 12GB // Corsair V 2400 32GB
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080 // MSI GTX1070
Storage Samsung 870EVO // Samsung 840P
Display(s) HP w2207h
Case CoolerMaster Stacker 830se // Lian Li PC-9F
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Seasonic X 850w Gold // EVGA 850w G2
Mouse Logitech G502SE HERO, G9
Keyboard Dell
Software W10 Pro 22H2
It's not about Google at all, it's about MONEY. The Artists get very little per song, etc.., the bulk of the funds go to those who run the business of selling the music or movies.

Nobody wants to take down Google. They want to get paid. If they can't control their product then they want to exert pressure through Google to stop the stealing.

System Name Vegnagun
Processor Ryzen 5950x
Motherboard Asus B550 Gaming-E
Cooling Noctua NH-U14
Memory 4x8 G. Skill 3800mhz CL14
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
Storage WD SN850 2tb
Display(s) Viotek 1080p 120hz
Case Fractal Design Define 7
Power Supply Corsair AX850
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Logitech 815 tactile
Software Windows 10 Education
Benchmark Scores top 1% in the world for weekly score in Killzone 2 :)
Who writes this crap? They make it sound like there is one big plug somewhere on the internet with Google's name on it. :shadedshu

They may not have that... But they do have all of these things!!!

Attachments

• evil google.jpg
    evil google.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 358
Display(s) HP w2207h
Audio Device(s) onboard
Keyboard Dell
Software W10 Pro 22H2
That's how lawsuits work, name everbody and let the Courts decide.

So what if google provided hotspots and people used them to download torrents? You can't sue GOOGLE for that.

What next? Sue Time Warner Cable because their subscribers are using their services to download torrents?
What's after that? Sue Newegg.com for selling laptops, and PC that consumers used to download torrents?
Then what? Sue HP, Apple, Dell, for making laptops and PC that people used to download torrents?
What then? Sue Blank CD / DVD manufactures? Sue Hard Drive Companies?

They are going after Google because they have the means to stop this kind of theft.

Display(s) HP w2207h
Audio Device(s) onboard
Keyboard Dell
Software W10 Pro 22H2
Google is a facilaitator to the crime

Yes, but google isn't hosting anything copyrighted. The MPAA is trying to shut down google because random people on their network downloaded movies illegally. The MPAA doesn't understand the concept of private networks, and that multiple people can be using the same public IP at the same time. There is no content for the ISP to block or take down.

If I sell you a gun, knowing that you are going to use it to commit a crime...am I quilty of anything?

KetelOne

System Name Black Beauty
Processor AMD Phenom II X6 1090T - 4.2 Ghz
Motherboard ASUS M4A89GTD Pro/USB3
Cooling MPC355 W/ XSPC Res Top|Enzotech Sapphire|Swiftech MCR320|3 Thermaltake AF0026-Push|3/8"ID, 5/8"OD
Memory 4GB OCZ Reaper DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD6950 - Core: 880MHz Memory: 1375 MHz
Storage WD Caviar Black 1TB
Case Corsair Obsidian 800D
Software Windows 7 64Bit Enterprise
wtf? so there is not a single giant router somewhere in America with Google's name on it that can just be unplugged and instantly kill all Google services planet wide? :roll::p

There sure is! See my proof, keep in mind this is a top secret photograph just for TPU.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
It really isn't anyone going after google. This is how things went down:

MPAA tracks IPs of people using torrents to download certian copyrighted material.
MPAA contacts the ISP that owns those IPs and request who was using those IPs.
The ISP responds with Google and Google's contact information.
The MPAA, being braindead idiots, doesn't even look at the contact information, it just pastes it into a standard form letter and mails it out to the "offender".
In this case it just happens to be that the offender is Google.

This really is a huge oversite on the MPAA's part, because Google definitely has the resources to fight the MPAA and set a legal precident that the MPAA actually has to prove the person that was assigned the IP actually downloaded the content and not someone else on the private network. Which would absolutely kill the MPAA's cases against pirates.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x, Ryzen 9 5980HX
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4(With Noctua Fans)
Memory 32Gb Crucial 3600 Ballistix
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3080, Asus 6800M
Storage Adata SX8200 1TB NVME/WD Black 1TB NVME
Display(s) Dell 27 Inch 165Hz
Case Phanteks P500A
Audio Device(s) IFI Zen Dac/JDS Labs Atom+/SMSL Amp+Rivers Audio
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G502 SE Hero
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Mk.2
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey Plus
Software Windows 10
these companies are just looking to put the blame on some physical entity they can catch, I mean times have changed, I remember back in the 90's I used to buy every CD I bought fro top dollar in stores, that dosen't really happen anymore because more people buy individual songs, its the same for movies, they sit back and they have to point the finger somewhere, piracy does cause some of the problem but as time moves on people want to pay less but they want more so sue google and make some cash, hell sue everyone and cut them off the internet to make more money.

Display(s) HP w2207h
Audio Device(s) onboard
Keyboard Dell
Software W10 Pro 22H2
It really isn't anyone going after google. This is how things went down:

MPAA tracks IPs of people using torrents to download certian copyrighted material.
MPAA contacts the ISP that owns those IPs and request who was using those IPs.
The ISP responds with Google and Google's contact information.
The MPAA, being braindead idiots, doesn't even look at the contact information, it just pastes it into a standard form letter and mails it out to the "offender".
In this case it just happens to be that the offender is Google.

This really is a huge oversite on the MPAA's part, because Google definitely has the resources to fight the MPAA and set a legal precident that the MPAA actually has to prove the person that was assigned the IP actually downloaded the content and not someone else on the private network. Which would absolutely kill the MPAA's cases against pirates.

MPAA wants to enter into an agreement with Google to download/distribute copyrighted material.

In good faith, should Google try to protect MPAA rights by cutting off the illegal downloads?

The only other remedy would be for Google to pay for the lost illegal downloads because Google is the distributor and has the capacity to stop illegal activity.

MPAA is looking for the show of good faith on Google's behalf.

Overall it's bad policy for Google to let piracy slide but when their own employees are doing it..., don't you think that kills legitimate business ventures/opportunity for all Vendors who want to do buisness with Google? Thats a bad precident!!!

Why does Google want to fight MPAA? Google is in the IT Business, not MPAA, so shouldn't Google take care of that end of things?

How should Google AND MPAA Track illegal downloads?

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
MPAA wants to enter into an agreement with Google to download/distribute copyrighted material.

In good faith, should Google try to protect MPAA rights by cutting off the illegal downloads?

The only other remedy would be for Google to pay for the lost illegal downloads because Google is the distributor and has the capacity to stop illegal activity.

MPAA is looking for the show of good faith on Google's behalf.

Overall it's bad policy for Google to let piracy slide but when their own employees are doing it..., don't you think that kills legitimate business ventures/opportunity for all Vendors who want to do buisness with Google? Thats a bad precident!!!

Why does Google want to fight MPAA? Google is in the IT Business, not MPAA, so shouldn't Google take care of that end of things?

How should Google AND MPAA Track illegal downloads?

I've already explained that this is not a concious decision by the MPAA, it is them being braindead morons and sending one of the largest IT companies in the world a form letter threating to have their ISP cut off service.

If the MPAA wants to start up a business venture with Google, threatening them with legal action and denial of services is probably a bad business move...

Last edited:

vbx

Processor E8500 Core 2 Duo
Motherboard ASUS P5Q-EM
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper Z600
Memory Gskill 4gb DDR2 1066
Video Card(s) HIS 4670
Storage WD 320gb black
Display(s) Asus MS226H 21.5 monitor
Case Antec P180 Mini
Power Supply Antec NEO ECO 620C
Software Windows 7 x64
If I sell you a gun, knowing that you are going to use it to commit a crime...am I quilty of anything?

So why go after Google? Why not go after other High Speed Internet provider?

I'm pretty sure most illegal downloads happens at the home, and not at some free Internet "Hot Spots"..

What's next? The MPAA will now demand that Consumers get only "limited" internet speeds? Back to the 56k day? I mean, that's the main problem right? You want to stop illegal downloading of movies? You take way the High Speed internet. Who going to download movies if it's going to take them a week?

BinaryMage

System Name Igne Mortis
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E8500
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
Cooling Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro LGA775
Memory 4GB OCZ Platinum DDR2 1066
Video Card(s) ASUS HD4850 TOP
Storage Seagate 500GB
Display(s) Dual 1280x1024
Audio Device(s) Integrated
Power Supply Antec NeoPower 550
They won't do that - no lawmaker is that stupid (I hope)! Anyway, they're missing the point - read this article.

I'm pretty sure most illegal downloads happens at the home, and not at some free Internet "Hot Spots"..

What's next? The MPAA will now demand that Consumers get only "limited" internet speeds? Back to the 56k day? I mean, that's the main problem right? You want to stop illegal downloading of movies? You take way the High Speed internet. Who going to download movies if it's going to take them a week?[/QUOTE]

They don't want to slow down the net just charge for data usage instead of bandwidth. This would really take a bit out of any P2P or streaming sites. Already if you read into most broadband contracts theirs a limit at which they can slow down or cut your service for over use, mine is 10GB but have never had it happen.

Display(s) HP w2207h
Audio Device(s) onboard
Keyboard Dell
Software W10 Pro 22H2
They won't do that - no lawmaker is that stupid (I hope)! Anyway, they're missing the point - read this article.

I read the article and I find it very very biased.

You can not argue effectively without offering legal solutions to "improving" or "innovating" upon someone else's intellectual property.

If that's the case you should never get paid for any work you do...because your just building on someone else's efforts.

Most people I know want to get paid when they work.

Just because some kid can hack a system doesn't mean he is innovative. Clever yes. Why is he working on property belonging to others. He should be making something new, not borrowing ideas and tearing down. Was he paid for his effort?

There are legal avenues one can take when being truly innovative and one should get paid for those efforts and be able to protect them.

Those that want to live without laws may find themselves at the mercy of others without recourse... Do you want to live there?

System Name Black Death
Processor Intel Core i7-6700K
Motherboard Asus Maximus VIII Gene
Cooling NZXT Kraken X62
Memory Team Delta DDR4 3000 8GBx2
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GTX Titan X
Storage Plextor M6G+ 256GB + WD 1TB x3 + WD 750GB x1
Display(s) Dell U2715H
Case Phanteks P300
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5
Power Supply SilverStone ST75F-GS
Mouse Razer DeathAdder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech G810
Software Windows 10 64bit
Fuck mpaa because they are stupid!

Display(s) HP w2207h
Audio Device(s) onboard
Keyboard Dell
Software W10 Pro 22H2
So why go after Google? Why not go after other High Speed Internet provider?

What's next? The MPAA will now demand that Consumers get only "limited" internet speeds? Back to the 56k day? I mean, that's the main problem right? You want to stop illegal downloading of movies? You take way the High Speed internet. Who going to download movies if it's going to take them a week?

BANG...your loved one is now deceased.

Gun Seller: Judge, I only sold him the gun...I didn't sell him the bullets.

Now what?

ISP's throttle network activity now and no one has advocated for slower speeds or reverting to 56k. Speed is not the issue. Lack of higher speeds, on par with those in Japan, is an issue.

Why would MPAA advocate for slower speeds and rob themselves of marketing streams?

Would it be better for ISP's to suddenly halt service until a fine is imposed and recovered, covering the cost of the theft? No letter or nothin...just gustapo style shutoff...who needs laws anyway, certainly not the criminals.

MPAA has a right to sell movies. It also has a right to protect its investments. If you really want to do away with MPAA, don't buy any products they sell. (Don't steal either.)

Google is the target because that's were the tracks stop. Maybe it's not right and the system needs revision.

Google should be on the forefront of these issues and be able to see in advance what's needed to steer us in a positive direction. Win Win for Everybody.

As it is now, they are reactionary to these kinds of issues. They waste too many legal dollars that could better be spent proactively.

Buy the way, Google's legal self protection probably stifles innovation.

Last edited:
Display(s) HP w2207h
Audio Device(s) onboard
Keyboard Dell
Software W10 Pro 22H2
System Name Black Death
Cooling NZXT Kraken X62
Display(s) Dell U2715H
Case Phanteks P300
Keyboard Logitech G810
Display(s) HP w2207h
Audio Device(s) onboard
Keyboard Dell
Software W10 Pro 22H2
System Name Black Death
Cooling NZXT Kraken X62
Display(s) Dell U2715H
Case Phanteks P300
Keyboard Logitech G810
Mint condition. Never been opened!

i'm not French Army
besides, i bought hundreds of CDs,DVDs,Game Disks in the last decade and had been feeling nuts about stupid things like mpaa

Last edited:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
BANG...your loved one is now deceased.

Gun Seller: Judge, I only sold him the gun...I didn't sell him the bullets.

Now what?

ISP's throttle network activity now and no one has advocated for slower speeds or reverting to 56k. Speed is not the issue. Lack of higher speeds, on par with those in Japan, is an issue.

Why would MPAA advocate for slower speeds and rob themselves of marketing streams?

Would it be better for ISP's to suddenly halt service until a fine is imposed and recovered, covering the cost of the theft? No letter or nothin...just gustapo style shutoff...who needs laws anyway, certainly not the criminals.

MPAA has a right to sell movies. It also has a right to protect its investments. If you really want to do away with MPAA, don't buy any products they sell. (Don't steal either.)

Google is the target because that's were the tracks stop. Maybe it's not right and the system needs revision.

Google should be on the forefront of these issues and be able to see in advance what's needed to steer us in a positive direction. Win Win for Everybody.

As it is now, they are reactionary to these kinds of issues. They waste too many legal dollars that could better be spent proactively.

Buy the way, Google's legal self protection probably stifles innovation.

You are correct that the MPAA has the right to sell movies and protect its investmenst. Where you are wrong is that other companies are not obligated to do anything to help them. The ISP is not obligated to shut off service at the MPAA's request w/ no real proof, Google is not obligated to shut off service to it's customers/employees, google is not obligated to disipline their employees for things that do not involve google.

Saying Google should be the one that is on the forefront is asinine, Google has nothing to gain from that. They aren't the ones having their product ripped off.

If the MPAA wants to protect their interested, then they should do it themselves and stop trying get everyone else to do it for them. Using your own gun example, it would be idiototic to try and get the gun seller to completely stop selling the one gun that was used in the murder, wouldn't it? And it isn't the gun seller's fault, it is the fault of the person that pulled the trigger. Now the gun seller can, and probably will, help the family and authorties find the person that did it, but he doesn't have to completely stop selling guns.

Last edited:

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
System Name My Comp | Fiancees Comp
Processor i7 5820k @ 4.6Ghz 1.285v| i5 2500k
Motherboard MSI x99 SLI Plus | AsRock Z77 Pro 3
Cooling Watercooled
Memory 16GB DDR4 2400 @ 2666 | 12GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) AMD R9 290x | MSI 5850 OC
Storage 128gb SSD + 2x 2TB | 2TB
Display(s) Asus 27" LCD | 25" Hanns G
Case CM Storm | CM Elite 430
Audio Device(s) Creative Recon 3D PCIe
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy 1250W | Rosewill 630w
Mouse Logitech G700s | Logitech G100s
Keyboard Logitech G901 | Logitech G105
Software Win 8.1 Ultimate x64 | Win 8.1 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark - Fire Strike Extreme - 4403
BREAKING NEWS! Google employees are human...

System Name Vegnagun
Processor Ryzen 5950x
Motherboard Asus B550 Gaming-E
Cooling Noctua NH-U14
Memory 4x8 G. Skill 3800mhz CL14
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
Storage WD SN850 2tb
Display(s) Viotek 1080p 120hz
Case Fractal Design Define 7
Power Supply Corsair AX850
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Logitech 815 tactile
Software Windows 10 Education
Benchmark Scores top 1% in the world for weekly score in Killzone 2 :)

false, look at what they use to recharge. I contend that google is soon becoming skynet

System Name HOMECOMPUTER
Processor Intel i9 - 9900k @ 5.1Ghz - 1.31v
Motherboard Asux ROG Maximus XI Hero Wifi
Cooling ek supremacy evo full nickle, 2xEK 360 Radiators, ek d5 pump/res combo, ek full cover 2080ti block
Memory 16GB DDR 3600 Trident Z RGB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 2080TI
Storage 1xWD black NVME 500GB, 1xSamsung 970 Evo Plus NVME 1TB
Display(s) 2 Dell Gaming 27" 1440P Gsync
Case Lian LI PC-011 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Evga P2 1200Watt
Mouse Zowie FK1+
Keyboard Corsair Strafe rgb silent
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores i'm working on that
BREAKING NEWS! Google employees are human...

LOL right. Honestly... shit like this hitting the forums and news serves only one purpose... it gives me something to laugh about at work throughout the day. Any statement that proclaims the overtake of Google is complete horseshit. Plain and simple, MPAA disconnecting Google from the web.... Laughable at best. The MPAA can't hold a stick to Google on their best day. So by putting all this effort into the whys and hows of this statement, you've all inevitably wasted time out of your day while at the same time ignoring some basic facts.

1. The MPAA does blindly send take-down notices based on the "Owner" of the IP address in question, which means they quite possibly sent this to Google without knowing shit<but i doubt it>
2. MPAA is that stupid, they do think they can sue anyone and anything into the ground and they're going to win every time<wrong, they loose almost all the time for some good reasons>
3. Your isp does not tell the MPAA who you are, COX specifically has a policy of responding to the MPAA/RIAA by simply turning off you internet, requiring you to call so they can tell you to delete the copyrighted material, and you get a warning about downloading pirated material. THEY DO NOT TELL THE MPAA WHO YOU ARE. after 3 warnings they shut you down, go find another isp.
4. The MPAA doesn't really care about downloaders so much as they do hosters, you can see this int he ratio of loss/wins in their lawsuits, they win all cases against unloaders and lost most again'st downloaders. There are many reasons for this, most because the MPAA cannot tell if your downloading a copy of something you already own, in which case you can fight said piracy in the courts, which becomes more pricey for the MPAA which is already losing money on legitimate pirates. Hosting on the other hand, is a sure thing, its just illegal
5. Google operates one of the largest businesses in the world and depends on the internet 100%, the government wouldn't allow them to be taken offline for the sole fact that that's a lot of lost jobs if Google just suddenly"went away". So that's never going to happen, we are in a poor state of being as far as finance and jobs go... letting the measly MPAA take down a large corporation.... BULLSHIT!!!

Just my 2 cents on the matter, no go back to work people, nothing to read here!!!