1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MS Activation - Wow that was easy

Discussion in 'General Software' started by EnglishLion, Mar 14, 2006.

1. EnglishLion

EnglishLion New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've just reinstalled XP Home on my PC after replacing the mobo, CPU, case and psu and in the past have replaced the HDD and graphics card. So my PC is practically all new and XP activation wouldn't work.

I was semi dreading having to ring Microsoft as I expected to have hassles about it not being the same PC etc etc.

WOW - to my suprise the procedure was painless and suprisingly fast. No waiting for a customer service representative, no explaining anything, just given a new ID number there and then!

As it happens it is my copy of XP Home but it could easily have not been!

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. OOTay

OOTay New Member

Thanks Received:
    wow lucky you... i had no clue that they have acually taken that into play now. crap that means next time i get a new mobo i might be runnin linux for a while becuase i might not be able to get a new copy of windows lol..

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. EnglishLion

EnglishLion New Member

Thanks Received:
    Seems you don't need a new copy of windows. All you do is ring the number and when the guy asks 'how many other PCs is the software installed on', just say none except this one. He also asked if this was the first install and I told him it was a reinstall.

I gave him no more details than that really - except my initial code. Just get a code off someone and answer the questions correctly and you get a new code! Really not a type of security, not in my mind!

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. Polaris573

Polaris573 Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    They may deactivate the old code, so if you were to borrow it from a friend he/she would be quite upset.

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. G.T

G.T New Member

Thanks Received:
    /never rings M$ up when he reinstalls his OS

If you just keep hitting the Activate Windows thing, after XXX amount of attempts and being fucked off and being told to ring M$ to validate your licence number it always gives in and auto-activates. >:E

I've done that at least 4 times now, I cannot be arsed ringing them, so just kept hitting it over a few days till it gave in.

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. gygabite

gygabite New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just wonder whether the new installation of my windows eXPensive home edition will go as easy as yours...

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. drade

drade

Thanks Received:
    Similar-same thing happened to me, I had all new stuff except for the hd, and I didnt have an O.S. cd, so I bought xp home, didnt work till about 2 hours, all because it didnt match the code, luckly it worked, if not i had to go buy a hd at that time when I was on my budget, But I have a new one now!

Thing I hate is their support, I mean yea I call in a different region then america, One time they had some mexican, who didnt know my fluint language, it was a pain, thats what took about an hour!!:banghead:

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    How many times do you have to push on average?

10 Year Member at TPU