• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MS Fix It Center beta

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
MS Fix It Center beta

The name says it all. FIX-IT.

This is a beta. So, don't look for perfection, well it is MS, so... still don't look for perfection; however, this is free and works on:
Windows XP SP3
Windows XP Pro (64-bit) SP2
Windows Vista
Windows 7 (32 and 64 bit) ( I know 'cause I ran it on both )
Windows Server 2003 SP2
Windows Server 2008
Windows Server 2008 R2
32 and 64 bit

It just might help some of the needier computer users out there with some trouble they have and can't get someone NOW.

Yes, Windows 7 has troubleshooters, but this puts it in one place.
Another person stated, in another forum, that it just wants to see if we are pirating software. I politely explained to him; quoting myself, "Don't pirate software and you won't have to worry about... it might be spying on me...oooooo paranoia." Just my opinion.:)

Check it out, try it or not, but it is here for you.:)

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
I hate it when they make things like this.

Why? Because outside of my regular job I fix peoples' PCs in exchange for beer.
If they can fix it themselves, there goes my free beer. :shadedshu

Anyway ... if someone tries this please post your experience on how helpful/useful it turns out to be.

System Name Bitch / Dogma
Processor 955 BE @ 3.8Gig / 9850 @stock
Video Card(s) 8800 GTX 512 / 4890
Storage 8 x Samsung F2 1.5TB, 8 x Seagate 500s
Display(s) Acer 24 / Dell 24
Case Lian li / Akasa
Software Win server 2008 / Win 7
I've installed and tried - very limited in what it can do at the moment (seems like an extention of the inbuilt Win 7 trouble shooter you get if something goes fubar)

Im convinced this will never replace people with the ability to debug/troubleshoot problems as it seems to concentrate on the very simple things that go wrong (incorrect IP/Gateway, corrupt/missing files etc)

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
I shutdown a couple of network items (screwed up the network bridge and turn off networking) and it did the same thing as the built in Windows 7 troubleshooter and corrected them.

It is basically for simple stuff; probably so, people will not make tech calls for something they should had read the manual about. I doubt it will fix anything taking a real thought (think flow chart) process to figure out.

Although, computers are driving cars, making things, and building themselves; does this sound eerily familiar... SkyNet.:)