• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI 4870 1gb T2D1G bios errors

adrianh

Hi all,

I extracted the bios for my MSI 4870 T2D1g card using gpu-z v0.3, but am getting errors when i load the bios with RBE v1.18

The error given by rbe is invalid file specified. Error given by RABIT is "Found ati 'ATOM' a new bios, unsupported now"

Any help would be appreciated. :toast:

Attachments

• 48701gb.zip
    45.5 KB · Views: 345

jcusimano2

I have bios for you this is your exact bios stock untouched

Attachments

• RV770.zip
    45.5 KB · Views: 457
Last edited:

ls

Hi all,

I extracted the bios for my MSI 4870 T2D1g card using gpu-z v0.3, but am getting errors when i load the bios with RBE v1.18

The error given by rbe is invalid file specified. Error given by RABIT is "Found ati 'ATOM' a new bios, unsupported now"

Any help would be appreciated. :toast:

I have this same card and the same problem.

Also the Fan Speed is erratic and not accurate, as read by GPU-Z and in CCC. It is set to either 0%, 84%, or a random % in between depending on the load. Which you would think would be the accurate number, but it is not. When that number is at 20% the fan is going 2300RPM which is wrong. 20% should be about 1800RPM.

When read on the GPU graph the fan speed is constantly going up to 84% and down to 0% every second. Although the fan RPM is steady, based on that in between %.

I tried the BIOS that was posted above and although that BIOS can be loaded by RBE the fan is still acting the same.

If I set the fan to manual in CC it reads steady at where it is set.

I just bought the card and am wondering if it is defective or just a weird MSI BIOS.

@ adrianh.....was your fan behaving llike this on the shipped BIOS? On this posted BIOS?

@ jcusimano....was your fan acting like this on the shipped BIOS? And is the posted above BIOS the BIOS that shipped on your card? As it has a different BIOS Description than mine. I saw on another post you modded the BIOS' fan settings from the original lookup funtion to the Tj function. Are the above fan problems I am having the reason you did this?

Last edited:

adrianh

hi ls,

Yes the fan rpm was bouncing between 84% and something else, not sure if its meant to do that, but the fans definitely do not sound like its bouncing around.
Didn't manage to play around with the fan settings, the stock cooling assembly was replaced with an ek block almost immediately.

Btw i used to get driver crashes (but will recover without rebooting) when using the stock cooling, at stock clocks. Are you getting that as well? Temps never broke 60C.

Its not crashing now after it got water cooled (load temps around 40-45C)

ls

Thanks adrianh for your reply.

So far so good as far as crashes, although I have had the card only two days and have played only COD4, Crysis and Grid. Mostly COD4.

Sounds like the fan is supposed to be weird like this then, or we both have bad cards. I would be interested to hear from jcusimano2 about his. I need to decide whether to RMA it or not. I am leaning towards it being normal.

I think the original BIOS, the one that RBE won't load, is supposed to be that way too. I noticed when flashing the card that the Atomxxx was preceded with MSIxxxx.800 which is unusual from the cards I have seen. I think that's what is throwing RBE off. I posted a reply in the RBE bugs thread so hopefully BAGZZlash can fix RBE to work with it.

jcusimano2

I have this same card and the same problem.

Also the Fan Speed is erratic and not accurate, as read by GPU-Z and in CCC. It is set to either 0%, 84%, or a random % in between depending on the load. Which you would think would be the accurate number, but it is not. When that number is at 20% the fan is going 2300RPM which is wrong. 20% should be about 1800RPM.

When read on the GPU graph the fan speed is constantly going up to 84% and down to 0% every second. Although the fan RPM is steady, based on that in between %.

I tried the BIOS that was posted above and although that BIOS can be loaded by RBE the fan is still acting the same.

If I set the fan to manual in CC it reads steady at where it is set.

I just bought the card and am wondering if it is defective or just a weird MSI BIOS.

@ adrianh.....was your fan behaving llike this on the shipped BIOS? On this posted BIOS?

@ jcusimano....was your fan acting like this on the shipped BIOS? And is the posted above BIOS the BIOS that shipped on your card? As it has a different BIOS Description than mine. I saw on another post you modded the BIOS' fan settings from the original lookup funtion to the Tj function. Are the above fan problems I am having the reason you did this?

My fan was acting jacked up too. I know how to fix it though. If you want me to I will upload you a fixed bios. I have used a lot of bioses on this card & have finally come up with a good one. I will give you my overclocked one that I use all opf the time & a stock one with a fan fix if you don't want to oc your card. This overclocked bios id rock solid stable with 11 hours of 3dmark06 to prove it.

jcusimano2

I will say that you might need to force flash this bios with ati flash because it is from another card. Do not flash in windows!! Flash in DOS with ati flash. I have tested these bioses extensively so they are safe/compatible. I have spent about 4 months perfecting my msi card & am happy now I guess I am kind of a perfectionist.

Again flashing to oc bios will require command:atiflash -p -0 800925.rom (Enter)
& flashing to reg bios (Both of these have my fan fix implemented) atiflash -p -0 780900.rom (Enter)

enjoy

remember flashing to a mod bios will void your warranty

Please download atiflash 3.60 from this website put that plus bios onto a floppy created by this utility that I will include in this post also

Attachments

• Ati-Radeon.zip
    91 KB · Views: 385
  • drdflash.zip
    138.7 KB · Views: 364

jcusimano2

@ IS
It seems to me (Although it doesn't make much sense to me) that the companies that create the fan behavior for these bioses, some of them don't know what they are doing. I mean how come the stupid fan will act all crazy up & down up & down but after I fix it with RBE it now acts as it should?!?!

Your card will idle @ 50-53C & load @ 65-77C with a very tolerable fan noise.

ls

Thanks jcusimano2 for your post and all your help. I will try the BIOS when I have a chance.

It seems my card is probabaly OK then, just a goofy MSI BIOS.

Is the BIOS you posted first above (RV770.bin) the BIOS that shipped on your card? As mine, like adrianh's, can not even be read by RBE. So if that RV770 BIOS is your orginal MSI is using more than one.

Thanks again for the help and Best Wishes!
LS

jcusimano2

Thanks jcusimano2 for your post and all your help. I will try the BIOS when I have a chance.

Is the BIOS you posted first above (RV770.bin) the BIOS that shipped on your card? As mine, like adrianh's, can not even be read by RBE. So if that RV770 BIOS is your orginal MSI is using more than one.

LS

Yes that bios was shipped on my msi card

jcusimano2

Well guys I just bought another MSI 4870 1Gb exact same model so I can run in crossfirex & on my rampage formula the cards will run at their full 16x/16x. Instead of some motherboards while enabling crossfirex they will slow down your bus to 8x/8x, so the rampage formula is the perfect board to have 2 4870's. This machine is gouing to scream now plus I just bought an X-FI pci-e x1 soundcard to replace this crappy, crappy supreme fx2 that comes with the rampage formula. Does anyone else here think that the soundcard that comes with the rampage formula sucks?

jcusimano2

LS

You are not using atiWINflash are you?? Don't use the windows based flasher it is dangerous use ati flash 3.60 to flash in true dos & you will most likely never have a bad flash due to the flasher or pc stability :eek:

jcusimano2

Now I really wish I could've got a hold of 2 hIs IceQ + 4 4870's 1Gb cards. Man these are oc'd @ 770/1000out of the box. Do you think that these are stable at mem clock 1000?? I just read an article where people are saying that these cards with the memory clocked @ 1000 out of the box are unstable?? Could this be true that the company would actually sell unstable clocked cards??