• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI 5700 Gaming X flash to XT incompatable subsystems?

havard2782

Hey people. Just looking for some advice please. I have been trying to flash my graphics card to no avail at the moment. I am using the GUI version of amdvbflashWin and I have tried both of the MSI gaming X bios off techpower up bios downloads. Both of them display unmatched subsytem. I would prefer not to go the other route of forcing the flash. Has anyone else had difficulties with this? I have seen some threads from past few years but nothing specifically with this card. I can't see any other bios there that are comaptibile so i'm a little confused. Any help would be great. Thanks in advcance for any help. I've attached my GPUz to confirm the bios. The XT bios' I have been trying are MSI.RX5700XT.8192.200115 and MSI.RX5700XT.8192.190903. I believe the one ending 115 is the correct one for my card.

Attachments

• gpuz.gif
    gpuz.gif
    27 KB · Views: 199
System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Why exactly do you want to flash the XT BIOS? Because someone on reddit told you it would give you more FPS? I bet that person didn't tell you that doing so will void your card's warranty, as well as possibly bricking it if the flash goes wrong or you flash a BIOS that doesn't match.

Regardless, if you had done even the most basic research, you would know why you get a subsystem ID mismatch and it would not be a surprise to you. Actually you don't even need to do research, just use your eyes and engage your brain:

1596375803873.png

1596375829389.png

Do you see the difference? Do you understand the error message now?

If you do, you'll know that the only way around it is to force the flash. That's why the error message is there, it's telling you you're about to do something that's possibly dangerous.

Finally, if you do the flash, do not, for the love of all that is holy, use a Windows tool because there is a higher chance of bricking the graphics card. Get the DOS version of ATIFlash, copy it and the BIOS to a bootable flash drive, boot off the flash drive and do the flash from there.

havard2782

Why exactly do you want to flash the XT BIOS? Because someone on reddit told you it would give you more FPS? I bet that person didn't tell you that doing so will void your card's warranty, as well as possibly bricking it if the flash goes wrong or you flash a BIOS that doesn't match.

Regardless, if you had done even the most basic research, you would know why you get a subsystem ID mismatch and it would not be a surprise to you. Actually you don't even need to do research, just use your eyes and engage your brain:

View attachment 164316

View attachment 164317

Do you see the difference? Do you understand the error message now?

If you do, you'll know that the only way around it is to force the flash. That's why the error message is there, it's telling you you're about to do something that's possibly dangerous.

Finally, if you do the flash, do not, for the love of all that is holy, use a Windows tool because there is a higher chance of bricking the graphics card. Get the DOS version of ATIFlash, copy it and the BIOS to a bootable flash drive, boot off the flash drive and do the flash from there.

Well thanks for the rudeness in your comment. Is that how your talk to all new members that are new to flashing and come to the place where the tutorial was created?

I appreciate the "help" though.

Edit - I understand the concept of the mismatch. I was asking what the options were.

Last edited:
System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Is that how your talk to all new members
Yes, and to current old members too ;)
The option is force flash a mismatched Bios as they are different cards and you won't find an identical subsystem ID.

Processor Ryzen 1600AF @4.2Ghz 1.35v
Motherboard MSI B450M PRO-A-MAX
Cooling Deepcool Gammaxx L120t
Memory 16GB Team Group Dark Pro Sammy-B-die 3400mhz 14.15.14.30-1.4v
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600 XT THICC II PRO
Storage 240GB Brave eagle SSD/ 2TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) Dell SE2719HR
Case MSI Mag Vampiric 011C AMD Ryzen Edition
Power Supply EVGA 600W 80+
Software Windows 10 Pro
You can use the cmd line .exe that is included in the atiflash download from within Windows, as mentioned you need to use the force cmd

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Well thanks for the rudeness in your comment. Is that how your talk to all new members that are new to flashing and come to the place where the tutorial was created?

I appreciate the "help" though.

Edit - I understand the concept of the mismatch. I was asking what the options were.

Ah, you didn't mention you were using W1zzard's tutorial (https://www.techpowerup.com/review/flashing-amd-radeon-rx-5700-with-xt-bios-performance-guide/). If you'd said that I would have understood immediately the issue you were having, because it doesn't tell you about subsystem mismatch, because it's only concerned with the reference 5700/XT cards which don't have different subsystems.

So please accept my apologies. It's just that we get a lot of people asking things here that would be better answered with a simple Google search.

Back on topic:

It appears, based on the info you've provided, that you have the correct 5700 XT BIOS for your model of 5700. (There should be no real difference between MSI.RX5700XT.8192.200115 and MSI.RX5700XT.8192.190903 except that the former is newer - the last 6 digits are the date in YYMMDD format). But because MSI (and indeed all manufacturers) don't like people flashing BIOSes, they change the subsystems between different levels of SKUs precisely so that people will receive this error message and be dissuaded.

The only way to get around this error is to force flash the BIOS, and AFAIK the GUI version of AMD' flashing tool won't let you do that, hence why you need the DOS version.

Before you do that, though, let's make sure that your card is correct. Please click the "Lookup" button in GPU-Z and provide the URL of the GPU that it takes you to. IAlso take a picture of the white sticker on the back of the card that contains the name and model number (as shown in the 3rd picture in this thread: https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/how-to-recover-from-a-bad-video-bios-flash.265939/).