• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI 6800 XT Gaming X Trio: not a good buy

ir_cow

Staff member
You got a new card and things worked good for a while. Once things started to go bonkers you blame the card....that just sounds odd.

I'd strongly suggest doing some proper troubleshooting before instantly laying blame on a dGPU that has zero impact on the system's need to read/write data to your drives.

PSUs could be the problem, do you have a spare PSU to test with?
The GPU is a new piece of hardware. Do you have a spare GPU to test with?
I've personally had finicky issues with Windows 10, even after a fresh install, where things just crashed (BSOD) and I had to re-install again. I even had to unplug all other storage devices and only leave the drive that the OS would be installed on plugged in before Windows 10 would successfully install.

It sounds odd to outright blame a GPU when you yourself said, "...I immediately went to work on enjoying all the latest games."
I agree. It seems like no testing was to done to narrow down the problem. Its not to say the card isn't bad. But I would also troubleshoot before straight up blaming MSI.

System Name ASUS TUF F15
Processor Intel Core i5-10300H
Motherboard ASUS FX506LHB
Cooling Laptop built-in cooling lol
Memory 24GB @ 2933 Dual Channel
Video Card(s) Intel UHD & Nvidia GTX 1650 Mobile
Storage WD Black SN770 NVMe 1TB PCIe 4.0
Display(s) Dell 27 4K Monitor S2721QS; Samsung Odyssey G55 Curved 2K 144 Hz LC27G55TQWRXEN
Audio Device(s) LOGITECH 2.1-channel
Power Supply ASUS 180W PSU (from more powerful ASUS TUF DASH F15 lol)
Mouse Logitech G604
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 7 TKL
Software Windows 11 Pro
RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
the perfect one, i have 1660s gam x too, super cool and solid.
while old now 1050 and 1050ti msi dual was crap with cheapest fans which fail super quick like in gigabyte lol

Wait wait wait... You have a 6 year old PSU in that system that was iffy when it was new. How does a GRAPHICS CARD corrupt a hard drive?!? That is very unlikely since these are two components that basically do not interact. Graphics cards do not corrupt SSDs.

Also the drivers are stock AMD drivers - I get all the hate for MSI here but you literally had an SSD die on you and are now having blank screen issues with the system... Could it be that your power supply is about to take a dirt nap due to the additional load and is taking components out in the process? That seems much more likely than the 6800xt... and that does require like 2x more power than the 1060 did.

The only thing that can 'kill' an ssd is bad power. Bad power will also hang a system and force restarts/ safe mode. Maybe time to ditch that 6 year old PSU:
View attachment 217933

[Discussion] The Corsair AX760i PSU, and why you should avoid it. : buildapc (reddit.com)
yeah doesn't sound right to me either. I do know someone who built a brand new AMD5000 series rig with that very card from MSI with no issues, despite what one may think about MSI.

System Name ASUS TUF F15
Display(s) Dell 27 4K Monitor S2721QS; Samsung Odyssey G55 Curved 2K 144 Hz LC27G55TQWRXEN
Mouse Logitech G604
Software Windows 11 Pro
Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Cooling Thermalright Perless Assassin 120 SE
Memory 32GB Fury Beast DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 3060 ti gaming oc pro
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1TB, WD SN850x 1TB, plus some random HDDs
Display(s) LG 27gp850 1440p 165Hz 27''
Case Lian Li Lancool II performance
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
that's just amd drivers usually crapiness, and before you say i hate amd, i'm just stating facts, i too suffered lot's of system crashes, black screens and random shit because of those shitty drivers.
It's not the PSU, it's not MSI (how does MSI prefers nvidia would have any impact on the system performance?) or any random peace of harware.

This time around because of the on par performance there a lot more people buying AMD, not realizing those aren't plug and play cards, more like plug and troubleshoot cards.

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
that's just amd drivers usually crapiness, and before you say i hate amd, i'm just stating facts, i too suffered lot's of system crashes, black screens and random shit because of those shitty drivers.
It's not the PSU, it's not MSI (how does MSI prefers nvidia would have any impact on the system performance?) or any random peace of harware.

This time around because of the on par performance there a lot more people buying AMD, not realizing those aren't plug and play cards, more like plug and troubleshoot cards.

I have a 6800xt (gigabyte gaming OC model) and I use AMD drivers on it, so far so good. Nothing that killed a hard drive or anything.

I would wager it is the PSU as well. Could be wrong, but it may be worth to rule out.

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Corsair h115i pro rgb
Memory 16GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14 @3800Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6900 XT Red Devil 1.1v@2400Mhz
Storage M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500MB/ Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD69 UHD / LG 27GN950
Case Fractal Design G
Audio Device(s) Realtec 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic 750W GOLD
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Software Windows 10 64 bit

It is no longer a fact brother. The AMD driver works great and I been using it since Vega64 through RX 5600XT and now 6900XT. Never had a problem. My only problem was PSU which has made my Vega suffer and my 5600XT. After changing the PSU all problems that I had went away.

For the OP, I'd really look for a PSU because the one you have may be the problem. Mine PSU was 8y old and it was the same one you have Corsair AXi860. It has damaged my Vega 64.
I'd strongly suggest get a new one like Seasonic.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red, 2TB SSD & 4TB SSD
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64

My brother runs his 5700XT without issues. When he first got it it took a couple of drivers to find a working one without any issues. I've had similar issues with Nvidia before, new card and find there's an issues with the latest driver, so I go back one or two drivers and no longer have any issue.

Both Nvidia and AMD have issues. Some are with the cards themselves (but that would probably fall on the AIB manufacturer if the card isn't directly from Nvidia or AMD) and some issues are with drivers. Neither side is perfect.

I can easily say I've had a ton of driver issues with Nvidia cards over the years. Issues ranging from:
  • screen going black
  • flickering screen in games
  • monitors not waking up from sleep
  • bad video playback streaming videos
  • bad video playback in game cutscenes
  • green showing up in games where the color should be black
  • fans not spinning up correctly or at all
  • fans running to fast when they should be low or off
  • issues running multi monitor setups
  • random driver crashes to desktop
  • issues with SLI builds....I had so many graphical issues with one SLI setup that I didn't both upgrading the GPU driver for almost 1.5 years because every new driver that came out caused issues (it was driver 182.50, if memory serves me right, that ran my 8800GTS 512 cards in SLI without a hitch and any driver after that for about a year or more caused graphical issues in games. This is where I learned that if it isn't broke, don't fix it...if my current drivers are working, don't upgrade.)
It still baffles me that folks will outright praise Nvidia and blast AMD about driver issues. However, there are is a smaller group of people that blast Nvidia drivers and praise AMD, but it's kind of rare to read about.

People need to understand that not all drivers will work with all configurations. There are millions of configurations of hardware, software and firmware out there. To expect a driver to work perfectly with all of them...., I hate to break it to you, but it's not going to happen.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
My brother runs his 5700XT without issues. When he first got it it took a couple of drivers to find a working one without any issues. I've had similar issues with Nvidia before, new card and find there's an issues with the latest driver, so I go back one or two drivers and no longer have any issue.

Both Nvidia and AMD have issues. Some are with the cards themselves (but that would probably fall on the AIB manufacturer if the card isn't directly from Nvidia or AMD) and some issues are with drivers. Neither side is perfect.

I can easily say I've had a ton of driver issues with Nvidia cards over the years. Issues ranging from:
  • screen going black
  • flickering screen in games
  • monitors not waking up from sleep
  • bad video playback streaming videos
  • bad video playback in game cutscenes
  • green showing up in games where the color should be black
  • fans not spinning up correctly or at all
  • fans running to fast when they should be low or off
  • issues running multi monitor setups
  • random driver crashes to desktop
  • issues with SLI builds....I had so many graphical issues with one SLI setup that I didn't both upgrading the GPU driver for almost 1.5 years because every new driver that came out caused issues (it was driver 182.50, if memory serves me right, that ran my 8800GTS 512 cards in SLI without a hitch and any driver after that for about a year or more caused graphical issues in games. This is where I learned that if it isn't broke, don't fix it...if my current drivers are working, don't upgrade.)
It still baffles me that folks will outright praise Nvidia and blast AMD about driver issues. However, there are is a smaller group of people that blast Nvidia drivers and praise AMD, but it's kind of rare to read about.

People need to understand that not all drivers will work with all configurations. There are millions of configurations of hardware, software and firmware out there. To expect a driver to work perfectly with all of them...., I hate to break it to you, but it's not going to happen.
Ive had those same troubles with nvidia

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64

You just bought an Nvidia card and literally said you favored their tech now. I suppose there is only black and white in your world, going by this post and your recent others your credibility has quickly dropped below zero. You picked a camp in your head and its you against them now. Why? You dont gain anything here...

On the current topic you are now flame baiting with no basis whatsoever. Its very likely to be a PSU problem and almost all signs point to it.

Reflect.

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Cooling Thermalright Perless Assassin 120 SE
Memory 32GB Fury Beast DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 3060 ti gaming oc pro
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1TB, WD SN850x 1TB, plus some random HDDs
Display(s) LG 27gp850 1440p 165Hz 27''
Case Lian Li Lancool II performance
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
You just bought an Nvidia card and literally said you favored their tech now. I suppose there is only black and white in your world, going by this post and your recent others your credibility has quickly dropped below zero. You picked a camp in your head and its you against them now. Why? You dont gain anything here...

On the current topic you are now flame baiting with no basis whatsoever. Its very likely to be a PSU problem and almost all signs point to it.

Reflect.

i'm not going to say anything more. When in doubt blame the PSU, it's a classic.

"The screen will go blank with feed, forcing a need to restart" this is not a PSU issue. This is the problem people have been having for ages with AMD drivers.

I'm out, i promisse.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
i'm not going to say anything more. When in doubt blame the PSU, it's a classic.

"The screen will go blank with feed, forcing a need to restart" this is not a PSU issue. This is the problem people have been having for ages with AMD drivers.

I'm out, i promisse.

Selective reading happened, then because there are numerous other problems...

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD

I'm out, i promisse.
Nothing about drivers derp

System Name ASUS TUF F15
Mouse Logitech G604
Software Windows 11 Pro
Never had a problem with ATi/AMD not being plug n play, it just worked, @Bomby569 stop the trolling and FUD.

Yes Really
ok, maybe, but in premium section. looking at their cheapest mobo series, i wouldn't try getting HOT gpu with cheapest cooler lol

las

System Name Obsolete / Waiting for Zen 5 or Arrow Lake
Processor i9-9900K @ 5.2 GHz @ 1.35v / No AVX Offset
Motherboard AsRock Z390 Taichi
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32GB G.Skill @ 4000/CL15
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX 4090 Phantom / Undervolt + OC
Storage Samsung 990 Pro 2TB + WD SN850X 1TB + 64TB NAS/Server
Display(s) 27" 1440p IPS @ 280 Hz + 77" QD-OLED @ 144 Hz VRR
Case Fractal Design Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Asus Essence STX / Upgraded Op-Amps
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x / Native 12VHPWR
Mouse Logitech G Pro Wireless Superlight
Keyboard Corsair K60 Pro / MX Low Profile Speed
Software Windows 10 Pro x64

Funny post but partly true. When you are not only playing popular titles (titles that AMD actually optimizes drivers for), you simply see more strange shit using an AMD card, thats for sure. Many times AMD don't even have a launch driver ready for a new game. Nvidia always have drivers ready for game releases and even beta releases. Nvidia has far more staff, thats the reason for this.

You will simply see far better overall performance on a Nvidia card (early access titles, lesser known titles - these especially runs better on Nvidia).

Since Nvidia dominates the dGPU PC market, optimizing for (and testing with) Nvidia cards, is what most dev's do. This is just the way it is. Nvidia sits at 83% dGPU market share as of now, and climbing quarter for quarter, up from 80-81% in Q4 last year. Logically most dev's will focus on Nvidia optimization.

AMD barely delivers any chips to AIB partners or reference cards for that matter. They are downplaying their GPUs to deliver CPUs and APUs for consoles, why? Because all chips are using TSMC 7nm and they can't focus on all, because they have limited capacity.

It's very simple. And soon Intel will join the dGPU market, and aim for AMDs primary segment; Low to mid-end. This could be a big problem for AMD GPUs going forward, especially if Intel wants to grab marketshare fast and sell their dGPU's with low margins.

Last edited:
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red, 2TB SSD & 4TB SSD
Mouse Logitech G502
Funny post but partly true. When you are not only playing popular titles (titles that AMD actually optimizes drivers for), you simply see more strange shit using an AMD card, thats for sure. Many times AMD don't even have a launch driver ready for a new game. Nvidia always have drivers ready for game releases and even beta releases. Nvidia has far more staff, thats the reason for this.

You will simply see far better overall performance on a Nvidia card (early access titles, lesser known titles - these especially runs better on Nvidia).

Many times I've never upgraded my Nvidia driver for a new game and I saw good performance with no issues.

New drivers doesn't always mean you're getting good/improved performance for a new game that's coming out. Always upgrading your driver isn't necessarily a good thing, either. If it isn't broke, don't fix it. I only upgrade my video driver if a) I've done a re-install of Windows, so I just install the latest driver or b) if I'm playing a game and there is some kind of graphical issue.

There are times I will go a year or two without upgrading drivers because there are no issues, even when trying newer games that released after the current driver I'm using.

las

Cooling Custom Water
Many times I've never upgraded my Nvidia driver for a new game and I saw good performance with no issues.

New drivers doesn't always mean you're getting good/improved performance for a new game that's coming out. Always upgrading your driver isn't necessarily a good thing, either. If it isn't broke, don't fix it. I only upgrade my video driver if a) I've done a re-install of Windows, so I just install the latest driver or b) if I'm playing a game and there is some kind of graphical issue.

There are times I will go a year or two without upgrading drivers because there are no issues, even when trying newer games that released after the current driver I'm using.

If you play new games on release, you better install the gameready driver or you will see more bugs or loose performance. They are released for a reason;

If you play the same old games, you don't need to.

Just because you have "no issues" does not mean you are not leaving performance on the table. Thats mostly what game ready drivers improve on.

Last edited:
System Name Ryzen 1
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB Patriot Viper 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) AMD RX 7800 XT 16GB
Storage SSD's
Display(s) HP X32 32" 1440p 165Hz
Case Phanteks P400A
Power Supply Superflower Leadex III 750w
Mouse Logitech G502
If you play new games on release, you better install the gameready driver or you will see more bugs or loose performance. They are released for a reason;

If you play the same old games, you don't need to.

Just because you have "no issues" does not mean you are not leaving performance on the table. Thats mostly what game ready drivers improve on.

My personal experience tells me otherwise. If a newer game runs without issues and at a frame rate that doesn't hinder performance, why would I upgrade drivers just to get a few more fps that won't be beneficial in any way, shape or form?

As I said, if it isn't broke, don't fix it.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD

Ive used report functions, sometimes it takes several months to fix a problem

Yet MSI had the best bang for buck AM4 boards in the tomahawk series which were wildly popular.

Talk about an over engineered cooler.

Id take a steel legend thanks

las

Cooling Custom Water
My personal experience tells me otherwise. If a newer game runs without issues and at a frame rate that doesn't hinder performance, why would I upgrade drivers just to get a few more fps that won't be beneficial in any way, shape or form?

As I said, if it isn't broke, don't fix it.

If I can get free performance and/or fewer bugs and more features in the games, you can be sure that I will install a new driver. You might be a casual gamer, I'm not. Nvidia releases new drivers for a reason.

System Name Ryzen 1
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB Patriot Viper 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) AMD RX 7800 XT 16GB
Storage SSD's
Display(s) HP X32 32" 1440p 165Hz
Case Phanteks P400A
Power Supply Superflower Leadex III 750w
Ive used report functions, sometimes it takes several months to fix a problem

Id take a steel legend thanks
I guess if you like VRM thermals 20-30c hotter, go for it.
1632924726690.png