• We've upgraded our forums. Please post any issues/requests in this thread.

MSI Announces A75MA-G55 Military Class Socket FM1 Mainboard

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name Long shelf-life potato
Processor Intel Core i7-4770K
Motherboard ASUS Z97-A
Cooling Xigmatek Aegir CPU Cooler
Memory 16GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3-1866
Video Card(s) 2x GeForce GTX 970 SLI
Storage ADATA SU800 512GB
Display(s) Samsung U28D590D 28-inch 4K
Case Cooler Master CM690 Window
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D PCIe
Power Supply Corsair HX850W
Mouse Razer Abyssus 2014
Keyboard Microsoft Sidewinder X4
Software Windows 10 Pro Creators Update
World famous mainboard and graphic card manufacturer MSI today officially announces their brand new AMD A75-Series mainboard A75MA-G55 with Military Class II components to equip the mainboard with the best quality and highest stability. The amazing graphical performance of the A-Series APUs is complimented by the implementation of USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s ports to give the fastest performance when you're playing games, video editing, transferring files from mobile devices. With support for HDMI, DVI and 7.1 channel audio, the A75MA-G55 in its small MicroATX form factor is the perfect choice whether it is as a complete and powerful desktop PC or a versatile and efficient HTPC. MSI's A75MA-G55 is truly the best choice in high quality, high performance and high convenience.

Show full news post

System Name ODIN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 1800X @ 3.9 GHz (all cores)
Motherboard ASRock TaiChi X370
Cooling Cryorig Universal R1
Memory 16 GB G.Skill FlareX @ 2933 MHz 14-14-14-34
Video Card(s) Nvidia EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC 8 GB
Storage WD M.2 1TB SSD :: 4 TB RAID 1 Array of 2 drives
Display(s) Dell S2716DG 27" 144 Hz G-SYNC
Case NZXT H630
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio
Power Supply Antec HCP 850 80+ Gold
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores I don't benchmark.
Yeah, Winki's back!

System Name Dark Silence 2
Processor Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.5 GHz (1.15V)
Motherboard MSI X99A Gaming 7
Cooling Cooler Master Nepton 120XL
Memory 32 GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX Fury 2400 MHz @ 2666 MHz 15-15-15-32 1T (1.25V)
Video Card(s) AORUS GeForce GTX 1080Ti 11GB (1950/11000 OC Mode)
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 2TB SSD (3D V-NAND)
Display(s) ASUS VG248QE 144Hz 1ms (DisplayPort)
Case Corsair Carbide 330R Titanium
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5 + Altec Lansing MX5021 (HiFi capacitors and OPAMP upgrade)
Power Supply BeQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 750W
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard Cherry Stream XT Black
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Fall Creators Update)
When will they ditch stupid PCI slot in favor to another PCIe... It's 2011 for god sake and even though they got rid of IDE connector, this ancient PCI really has to go away.
If you use a discrete graphic card you instantly lose two (and only) extra PCIe slots. Rubbish and pointless.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name A dancer in your disco of fire
Processor i3 4130 3.4Ghz
Motherboard MSI B85M-E45
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
Memory 4 x 4GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1400Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 760 DCU2OC 2GB
Storage Crucial BX100 120GB | WD Blue 1TB x 2
Display(s) BenQ GL2450HT
Case AeroCool DS Cube White
Power Supply Cooler Master G550M
Mouse Intellimouse Explorer 3.0
Keyboard Dell SK-3205
Software Windows 10 Pro
When will they ditch stupid PCI slot in favor to another PCIe... It's 2011 for god sake and even though they got rid of IDE connector, this ancient PCI really has to go away.
If you use a discrete graphic card you instantly lose two (and only) extra PCIe slots. Rubbish and pointless.
I like to have at least one PCI slot, but on this board it's kinda useless yes.

System Name TheRig
Processor AMD Phenom II x4 970 @ Stock
Motherboard Asus Crosshair IV
Cooling Cooler Master V8
Memory Crucial Ballistix Tracer Red LED 2gb x 4
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon 6950 2gb
Storage 1x Crucial 64gb C300, 2x Seagate SV35.5 500gb
Display(s) 24" LG LED 1080p
Case Lian Li Lancool K62R1 (Red Interior)
Audio Device(s) On Board Soundblaster X-Fi
Power Supply Cooler Master SilentPro 850w
Software Windows 7 64 bit
Well, chances are if someone were to get this board they would probably only go with one lower end discrete card to take advantage the asymetric crossfire. Most of those types of card would probably be single slot as well, and being that this is only a mATX board, having two PCIe x16 slots would make for a decent single slot crossfire rig, I wonder if asymetric crossfire is compatable with two discrete cards for a nice little three way. :)

Thatguy

the list of pci audio cards in use and are still available today new is mind numbing. Thats the reason there are still pci slots. I have a need for 2 pci slots on every motherboard I use.

faramir

the list of pci audio cards in use and are still available today new is mind numbing. Thats the reason there are still pci slots. I have a need for 2 pci slots on every motherboard I use.
Plus there are TV tuners and other niche products people use in their computers that are still stuck with PCI. Heck, I own a communication board which requires ISA so I still keep an old Pentium machine around :)

Plus there are TV tuners and other niche products people use in their computers that are still stuck with PCI. Heck, I own a communication board which requires ISA so I still keep an old Pentium machine around :)
Holy crap!

I remember upgrading my trident isa video card to a PCI bus card. Difference was mind blowing. Cheers to you, sir!

Thatguy

I have a machine that needs 2 isa slots, I have 5 motherboards and 5 cpus and a pile of ram and ide hardrives to keep it going. Sucks balls to.

System Name ODIN
Case NZXT H630
Mouse Corsair M65
I threw all that old crap away because replacing it all with better, faster solutions was just too damn easy. Seriously, if it doesn't involve the phrase "I need it for work" why would anyone still be using old ass coms boards or anything on an ISA?

Rumor has it llano will overclock really well.. In the 4.4Ghz range. Pity is still a Phenom II core with Die shrink to 32nm

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel G4400
Motherboard MSI B150M Bazooka D3
Cooling Stock ( Lapped )
Memory 16 Gb Team Xtreem DDR3
Video Card(s) Nvidia GTX460
Storage Seagate 1 TB, 5oo Gb and SSD A-Data 128 Gb
Display(s) LG 19 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case HP dx6120 MT
Audio Device(s) Stock
Power Supply Be Quiet 600 Watt
Software Windows 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
and thats marketing says military class bla bla bla
every one talk about it has many features. higher price. and makes their board looks like abrams tank and your recent board looks like rusty fiat 500

faramir

I threw all that old crap away because replacing it all with better, faster solutions was just too damn easy. Seriously, if it doesn't involve the phrase "I need it for work" why would anyone still be using old ass coms boards or anything on an ISA?
There are no faster alternatives. The board in question is a communication interface for two particular HAM radio "modems" (transceivers; modulator/demodulator bit is part of the board itself). Back when this board was developed and built one could only dream of speeds it was able to achieve over air (over 1.2 mbps on lower microwave band), plus the entry cost was negligible compared to (slower !) professional gear. Mind you this was back in the days when people used PSTN line modems (28.8 and 33.6 kbps were top stuff back then) to connect to the Internet via dial-up with ISDN (64 kbps per B channel) just starting to take off, majority of computer networks (LAN) were still stuck to 10 mbps and thin coax was found in many places. The setup isn't limited to short range (WiFi-like) operation either so the two aren't directly comparable (WiFi, which came many years later, is faster).

PCI bus (and its successors, including PCI-e) bring their own set of problems, two of the more important ones are vastly more complicated bus interface and PCI ID requirement, which costs real money (though honestly I'm not sure whether this can be sidestepped by the use of a suitable bridge chip). It would take a heap of money to "fix" something that was never really broken to begin with and - seeing how it's an amateur effort - isn't very likely to happen ;)

It isn't really needed for work though but neither are my completely maxed-out Vaxstation 4000/M96 (100 MHz CPU before even first 60 MHz P5 came out, full 128 MB of RAM, Turbochannel adapter board with quite some TC cards, plus I have a choice of different graphics boards) or other gadgets I keep around :)

System Name ODIN
Case NZXT H630
Mouse Corsair M65
I am not sure how you can consider increased complexity and PCI ID as "problems". For one a ISA slot is limited to 16-bit bus communications and the PCI is up to 64-bit. It being more complex is a requirement. That is like saying a Pentium 2 processor is better at certain things than a i7-920 because the i7 is more complicated. And neither of which cost any additional money. It does waste space in a monolithic style kernel and softare interconnection layer, but most modern computers have enough storage to ignore that.

A HAM radio transceiver? Does anything still support that as a PC communication system? <- actual curiosity.

I simply do not believe you are using a HAM radio modem to access the Internet right now. Regardless of speed, lack of support, bus limitations, range, and availability of far better solutions vastly out weight the non-existent list of advantages of ISA.

Don't get me wrong, if old tech is a hobby, cool. I have no issue with you loving an old system or working with them just cause. But to say you NEED them is a long long long stretch.

faramir

I am not sure how you can consider increased complexity and PCI ID as "problems".
Have a closer look at interface specifications. With ISA you've got simple (essentially) addressing and DMA without multiplexing (Z85C30, the serial chip that handles the traffic, is essentially connected directly to the bus). PCI on the other hand complicates the interface, resource allocation and startup immensely and as mentioned before, there's the issue of acquiring suitable PCI IDs before you can even consider building a PCI card. It's not a hobbyist domain anymore unless said hobbyist has large budget at his disposal.

A HAM radio transceiver? Does anything still support that as a PC communication system? <- actual curiosity.
Yes, there is [and has been for a long time now] a Z85C30 driver in Linux kernel. Board does all the modem stuff while RTXes take care of actual transmission and reception.

I simply do not believe you are using a HAM radio modem to access the Internet right now.
I'm not, I never stated as much ? What I said was that I keep certain bits of old hardware around (as a hobby). I don't use my old computers to access the Internet either but I figured mentioning one of them might put things into perspective and perhaps trigger some fond memories in other board visitors :)

But to say you NEED them is a long long long stretch.
This started with the comment stating that PCI should go. I mentioned an example of PCI hardware that I use daily (Gigabyte P8000 DVB tuner) and I pointed out (with a smiley face :) ) there are still dinosaurs among us who'd prefer ISA was still around - for convenience's sake rather than necessity - because there are bits of hardware that have no modern replacement (on PCI or PCI-e) that we still keep and use.