• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI B450-A PRO - mediocre or decent?

Processor Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X670E-F Gaming WiFi
Memory F5-6000J3038F16GX2-FX5
Hi there, I am thinking of building a PC based on Ryzen 2400G with no discrete GPU until RTX 2050/2060 not only gets released but also starts to cost what it should as a new series of GPUs and not as an extention to the GTX 1000 series (if they had followed the logic that when a new piece of hardware gives more performance than an old one then it should cost more - CPUs and GPUs would have costed tens of thousands of dollars already, because every newer CPU/GPU is more powerful than an older one), and only after that I will probably buy some new 8/10/12-core Zen2/Zen3 CPU.

As for CPU overclocking - I'm not sure, probably if it's 2700X or its 10/12-core successor then it should be OK without manual overclocking so I would just keep it at its factory frequencies and rely on PB/XFR/whatever.
As for RAM overclocking - I definitely want to buy two 8 GB Samsung OEM (B-die) sticks and overclock them to 3200 CL16, so I need a motherboard that's capable of doing it.

I was thinking of Asus Prime X470 Pro, but seeing what they did to Prime X370 Pro (broke RAM overclocking) and how they worsened the VRM and its cooling, I was ready to buy overpriced X470-F, but then I found out there was that cheap MSI B450-A PRO that by the way has an inbuilt VGA port (which is good for me until I get a discrete GPU), and now I really much wonder what is better to buy given what I've just said.

X470-F pros:
- pretty good VRM
- better ethernet card (for online gaming)
- probably will not be forgotten by the ASUS support soon, so will get many BIOS updates
X470-F cons:
- around here costs only ~18$ cheaper than Crosshair VI Hero (like what the actual ???)
- not very effective VRM cooling
- who knows if it will support all new Zen 2/Zen 3 features that may significantly improve their performance
- unknown RAM overclocking efficiency
- no VGA port, so I very well may not see BIOS at all thus I won't be able to change any frequencies, timings, features etc.

B450-A PRO pros:
- cheap, so even if I replace it in a year I won't lose really much money (~104$)
- has a VGA port
B450-A PRO cons:
- no offset (although I've no idea why it may be important)
- probably MSI won't care about it much so it may not get many BIOS updates and Zen 2/3 features support
- no idea if it will overclock the Samsung OEM (B-die) RAM to at least 3200 CL16
- no idea if its VRM will handle 2700X and its successors even without manual overclocking (see the offset absense part)

I don't know...