• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI Betrays AMD's Socket AM4 Longevity Promise: No Zen2 for 300-series?

The thing is you have been provided with a source you just refuse to read it . I don't know what kind of official confirmation you are waiting for ......
Official article on either AMD's or mobo makers' website. Normal stuff.
UPDATE AGESA 0072 FOR THE UPCOMING PROCESSORS is pretty much self explanatory , you can read the same message when bios got updated to AGESA 1071 for Zen+ ( obviously it didn't say Zen + ) , it's a generic message they are not going to list you all the Zen 2 processors supported since that info is still under NDA .
I'm not sure how AMD community forum works.
The author "black_zion" is not an AMD employee, right?
https://community.amd.com/thread/238039
Is this the only source that connects those AGESA and Zen 2? That's pretty weak.

If I posted a thread that this AGESA provides Zen 3 compatibility, would someone from AMD come to correct it? :)

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
MSI will be coming out with a proper statement to clarify the position soon.
Stay tuned to your reputable news sites/MSI for info. ;)

Hint: it supports them...but what exactly?

Last edited:
System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
But the promise of unlimited upgrade potential is no longer true, is it not?

Well, unlimited? No, certainly not. I believe what they said was that they were using AM4 through 2020. Unlimited would carry past 2020, would it not?

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/r...-older-300-series-due-to-bios-limitation.html

TPU "news" staff, y'all should be extremely ashamed that Guru3D just did a better job than you.

While the wording is unprofessional, the 16MB bios arguement is horsecrap.

I'm not just talking out of my rear either, bios modding is something I do and did for Ryzen. I know how much free space is on these boards, and it is a lot.

True Guru 3D did some proper work instead of simply calling MSI greedy but still doesn't explain why Asus has already pushed bios with Zen 2 support on their 300 series so the chip limitation argument can't explain everything !

As I said, that arguement is factually false. Do ya'll need a layout screenshot or something?

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
If I posted a thread that this AGESA provides Zen 3 compatibility, would someone from AMD come to correct it?

No, but every bios modder in town (myself included) would likely call you out. I personally haven't checked the microcode yet but will do so now.

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
While the wording is unprofessional, the 16MB bios arguement is horsecrap.
I'm not just talking out of my rear either, bios modding is something I do and did for Ryzen. I know how much free space is on these boards, and it is a lot.
What was the deal last summer with some motherboards dropping Bristol Ridge support and 4xx series boards getting 256mbit chips?

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
What was the deal last summer with some motherboards dropping Bristol Ridge support and 4xx series boards getting 256mbit chips?

Bristol ridge? That's the APU right? Probably GOP tables and sub-vbios for the igpu. Those can be a little hefty actually.

That is an interesting theory. It could be they are so insistent on cramming igpu support in there that they are filling the chips literally with OTHER vbioses for many subtypes of igpus that may or may not be installed.

That'd be astonishingly inefficient, but would explain the arguement and also why I don't see it... I always rip the igpu bioses out!

As for "why 256mbit chips?" it's not due to size needs I think as much as manufacturing has largely shifted to them and they are cheap now.

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/bdv775 tl;dr
Wrong info.

Translation by someone in Reddit thread:
"Sadly the informaton regarding the support of upcoming AMD CPUs on the X370 Titanium was wrong.
We want to shed light on this situation.
Currently we are testing our current mainboard portfolio with MSI 300 and 400 chipsets for compability with upcoming AMD Ryzen processors. Of course we want to provide support for upcoming AMD Ryzen processors on as many mainboards as possible.
Before AMD launches the next generation of CPUs MSI will provide a comprehensive list of compatible MSI AM4 mainboards. We are sorry for the misunderstanding."

@btarunr you might want to add that to the story ;)

Last edited:
I don't see how this is an improvement over the earlier rumor.
They're testing compatibility.
They want to support upcoming Ryzen processors on as many motherboards as they can.
They will provide a list of compatible AM4 motherboards.

This is miles away from "all Ryzen work on all AM4" that many here hoped for. It seems there is in fact a big probability that some existing AM4 mobos won't work with at least some of Zen2 CPUs.
"Upcoming processors"? ;-)
... and this turned out to be correct! :-D The "official response" doesn't mention neither "Zen 2" nor "Ryzen 3000-series".

This is miles away from "all Ryzen work on all AM4" that many here hoped for.
It's also approximately the same distance away from "betrayal" and "greed".

It's a shame the direction TPU is going in with news and some reviews. Grammar mistakes (some not corrected after it was mentioned), blatent misrepresentation (and no retraction) of information, copy/paste news, zero follow up by a reviewer when a user asks a question. My RSS feed just got leaner. Terrible.

Wait for MSI to officially respond, not round 2 of Tier 1 muppet support. :)

This is miles away from "all Ryzen work on all AM4" that many here hoped for. It seems there is in fact a big probability that some existing AM4 mobos won't work with at least some of Zen2 CPUs.
And now you've gone into the "I know it's not possible, yet I'll say it anyway" territory. That's never been the case especially with high end CPUs, ever - not with FX9590, 1950x, 2990WX, 9900k, 9990XE nor W3175x :rolleyes:

It's also approximately the same distance away from "betrayal" and "greed".

It's a shame the direction TPU is going in with news and some reviews. Grammar mistakes (some not corrected after it was mentioned), blatent misrepresentation (and no retraction) of information, copy/paste news, zero follow up by a reviewer when a user asks a question. My RSS feed just got leaner. Terrible.
Well... TPU is what it is. Nothing we can do about it.
I mean: in the end they even won the software key case. Close few threads, remove few posts, give few warnings. Very basic measures clearly worked. There's hardly any reaction to the key news they posted today. :)
Wait for MSI to officially respond, not round 2 of Tier 1 muppet support. :)
The only thing I'm interested in is the official CPU compatibility list. Until the add rows there (even temporary ones like "Ryzen 3000-series") it's all just curiosities.

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
Unless you have a credible citation, I'm calling BS on this...
Oh, boy, are you judging me by greenboi standards?

1555432022636.png

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/msi-ceo-interview-intel-shortage-amd,38473.html

The notebook part is amazing on its own.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 24505

Well... TPU is what it is. Nothing we can do about it.
I mean: in the end they even won the software key case. Close few threads, remove few posts, give few warnings. Very basic measures clearly worked. There's hardly any reaction to the key news they posted today. :)

The only thing I'm interested in is the official CPU compatibility list. Until the add rows there (even temporary ones like "Ryzen 3000-series") it's all just curiosities.

Egg and face, seems you were wrong, and 300 series will support zen2. This is the reason why Asus and the others updated the 300 MB's as they must have been pretty darn confident they were compatible.

Go climb back under your rock......

Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
nothing to be upset about.
Yeah, not like we didn't see something like that before, and with Compaq, no less, and when AMD was offering them CPUs for free.

1555432609787.png

Just a market Jaggernaut having certain kind of influence, ya know. It's MSI itself kinda concluding that, nobody forced them to, right?

You said......
MSI's CEO has claimed commitment to get Intel's market share up.
Hurting own AMD mainboard sales might be part of the grand plan.
I highly doubt they will shoot themselves in the foot to bring back Intel. All this is saying is that they will CONTINUE to use Intel chips in their laptops and such which, by his own admission, isn't having supply issues since laptops come before desktop. You also neglected to list the other reasons why they currently do not use AMD processors in their laptops... let's go ahead and post those.

• Experimentation: MSI is a smaller company than some and can't afford to experiment with different platforms right now. "I always say 'we are not big enough to make it so complicated,'" he told us. He cited all of the different gaming laptop SKUs MSI makes, from the high-end GT series to the budget GLs, when saying that their lineup is already pretty complex. He also posited that it, given the company's focus on optimizing the user experience, going with AMD adds another layer of complexity.
  • Prior bad experience: MSI has used AMD processors in its systems before, but apparently had a bad experience. "At that time, their product was not right and their support was not that good," Chiang said. He didn't say which AMD CPU he was referring to, but we know that 2012's MSI GX60 had an AMD A10 chip inside. Our sister site, Laptop Mag, reviewed that laptop at the time and really liked the performance and battery life.
They will not sacrifice their current breadwinner on the mobo side of things to go all in with Intel to gain market share when they get their shit straight. Surely they will run a promo or something, that's normal. Otherwise, your assertion leaves a lot to be desired from the quoted text.

Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Software Windows 10
I highly doubt
What to do, when MSI CEO literally states he'd "sit down with" Intel, once supply issues are resolved, on "how to get their market share back"?
Or when MSI CEO says, doing notebooks wouldn't be that nice, because of those special relationships with Intel?

Try to downplay it with own invaluable "doubts".
Cool.

So, after all, he wouldn't want to ruin his own company, would he? And figure, when there is next shortage, he gets none of those goddamnawfulgamingperf Intel notebook chips?
So it's pure and clear business. Nothing to be alarmed about.
Basic capitalism.

Oh, boy, are you judging me by greenboi standards?

View attachment 121184

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/msi-ceo-interview-intel-shortage-amd,38473.html

The notebook part is amazing on its own.
Wow, context much? Not only that statement, but the rest of the interview. What you did earlier is called "cherry-picking" a statement to fit your personal narrative. Chiang did not imply that MSI was going to help Intel raise it's market share at the cost of it's own AMD business.

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Software Windows 10
"cherry-picking" a statement
On which bloody planet is this "cherry picking a statement", the whole f*kcing conversation was cited verbatim:

Chiang did not imply that MSI was going to help Intel raise it's market share at the cost of it's own AMD business.
-MSI is working on getting Intel's share back
-No way, I call BS!
-<citation>
-Oh, oh, that, but that's not at MSI's expense!

Pathetic.