• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI Big Bang Xpower II Watercooling Loop

H 3 L L S M A N

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-3930K
Motherboard MSI® Big Bang Xpower ||
Cooling Custom Liquid Cooling
Memory G.Skill® Ripjaws Z Series 1866Mhz 9-11-10-28 32Gb Quad Kit
Video Card(s) ASUS® EAH6950 DCII 2Gb CrossfireX
Storage Corsair® Force GT 120Gb
Display(s) Dell® UltraSharp U2410
Case ModRight® Mod Matt v2
Power Supply Enermax® MAXREVO 1350
Software Windows 7 64Bit/ Soon Windows 8 64Bit
Finally here it is, The MSI BigBang Xpower II motherboard. As soon as I get back with it I will put all the parts in and Take another picture. Still no confirmation on the shipment for my processor, but I have decided to change my ram kit to a 32 gig kit and run the ram slower either 1866 cas 8 or 2133 cas 9. Anways here are some images of the Motherboard.

I may also look into another 7.1 system because a problem with the one I was looking at was brought to my attention. But I will get what I get I am not necessarily looking to spend over 500 for this 7.1 setup.

Edit: I just saw Newegg got some stock of the i7-3930K but it can only be purchased in a combo, this means that mine should be shipping out pretty soon here I paid $609 USD which isnt too bad.

Last edited:
System Name Vulcan
Processor i6 6600K
Motherboard GIGABYTE Z170X UD3
Cooling Thermaltake Frio Silent 14
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix GTX 970
Storage Mushkin Enhanced Reactor 1TB SSD
Display(s) QNIX 27 Inch 1440p
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Cooler Master V750
Software Win 10 64-bit
That board is loaded. :laugh:

H 3 L L S M A N

Almost ready for first boot!

Here it is with the parts, no processor shipment yet and 32Gb 1866Mhz CAS 9 RAM kit will be in shortly. Here is some pictures! Going to be adding a water chiller to the loop to make sure I hit 5Ghz. The chiller I am getting can make 60 gallons of water 30ºF cooler!!!! Wonder what it will do with only 1.3 Gallon of distilled water, if it can get it negitive I will dump the loop and think of something to do with the rad (Insulate it) in that case or keep the temp exactly at ambient so the rad does not become pointless.

Last edited:

H 3 L L S M A N

I will be making my own mother Board tray out of a thick peice of either Aluminum or Copper and thread my own mounting holes to acomidate any size of board. (20" x 24") This way I can evelivate the board in the air to my liking and let the AirKing blow underneath it and around it.

So a solid peice of metal with standoffs will be my custom made test bench case. polished copper would look pretty good or I will just stick with some brushed Aluminum and leave it as is or paint it a matte black or red.

Here are some examples
Vestil AMD-3618 Mini Dockplate
Aluminum 6061-T651 Sheet, 1" Thick, 24" x 24"
Copper C110 Sheet, ASTM-B152, 0.250" Thick, 12" Width, 24" Length

user21

why didnt you bought another nvidia card and combine it with radeon. i heard the lucid X mode is actually better then CF and SLI

H 3 L L S M A N

why didnt you bought another nvidia card and combine it with radeon. i heard the lucid X mode is actually better then CF and SLI

I am not 100% but I believe that was discontinued and replaced with something else due to issues and complaints, plus it is not available on this motherboard anyways this is the MSI Bigbang Xpower II X79. That was on the Bigbang Xpower Marshal. Since Nividia is as almost proprietary as Apple I would not want to go that route due to complications with driver updates.

Last edited:

user21

I am not 100% but I believe that was discontinued and replaced with something else due to issues and complaints, plus it is not available on this motherboard anyways this is the MSI Bigbang Xpower II X79. That was on the Bigbang Xpower Marshal. Anyways since Nividia is as almost proprietary as Apple I would not want to go that route due to complication with driver updates.

Lucid Hydra200 bridge chip and later it was replaced with another feature power by lucid that was switch-able graphics in windows just like nvidia optimus technology in notebooks. Sorry for the confusion i thought MSI made another breakthrough in there BIG BAND series with x79 chipset combined with lucid hydra200 bridge chip. It had flaws because it was not a total agreed functioning thing from both amd and nvidia and many games could not determine this unique technology so i guess may be it got rusty. no? anyway best of luck with the built i would really like to see the new sandy-X clocking high. and the ram drive of yours need to know how its gona work.

H 3 L L S M A N

Water Temp + Update

I have finally received confirmation of my processor shipment, it will be arriving on the 28th. I have also run my pump for 5 hours to see if it dumps any heat into the loop and did not see a change in temperature, if it does generate heat it is too minute too measure.

I have chilled my room down to 60°F or 15.5°C I could easily get it down more but then it becomes a little to cold for me. I will be purchasing the water chiller soon here but will not be adding it until I save up some cash to water cool other components like GPU's (Not my current GPU's) and RAM.

My first boot will be with Windows 8 Consumer Preview unless I have issues I will not be going back to Windows 7. I will post some screens of benchmarks at default clock and read and write speeds with the RAM drive using the 2400Mhz RAM kit only because it has not sold yet.

And later on post benches with the 32Gb RAM kit and the processor being overclocked as high as it can go with the current set-up of the Rad and block with the Air King 9175 1/3 HP fan. And then later on performance with the water chiller added to the loop + some Enermax LED fans on one side with the AirKing fan doing the pushing.

Here is the shot with the thermometer I think I will be leaving it in there permanently, I like the way it looks in there but that was not my original intention.

Last edited:

H 3 L L S M A N

Sorry for the late update I am very busy playing games lol, amazingly both my cards unlocked the shaders to 6970 spec, very nice. The HTPX tech station/ or metal slab and water chiller will come summer time, the AirKing 30" fan and some other goodies should be coming in shortly. When the fan comes in the CPU and GPU overclocking will begin and I will post up some bench marks.

As for the CPU temps at stock this setup is Amazing goes 2-5 degrees above ambient using AIDA64 testing for 30 Mins. Here are some shots of the OS and computer colours were faded for some reason when saving the image.

Edit: Just saw that the text cannot be read on GPU-Z so here is a window snip.

CPU-Z

Last edited:
System Name Vulcan
Processor i6 6600K
Motherboard GIGABYTE Z170X UD3
Cooling Thermaltake Frio Silent 14
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix GTX 970
Storage Mushkin Enhanced Reactor 1TB SSD
Display(s) QNIX 27 Inch 1440p
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Cooler Master V750
Software Win 10 64-bit
Very nice pictuers.

Looks like you've been getting ready for Mass Effect 3. Tuesday is the day. :D

H 3 L L S M A N

Very nice pictuers.

Looks like you've been getting ready for Mass Effect 3. Tuesday is the day. :D

Oh ya, although I just saw a website that guides you through important selection choices and lets you download the appropriate game save, could of saved 10 bucks and time because I know Mass Effect inside and out can picture every scene in my head.

It is one of the few games that I truly feel connected the character just amazing. I will wait a month or so for patches and the price to come down before I get it, I do not like to pirate games any more used too though.

System Name Rigger
Processor i7 6700k
Motherboard MSI Z170 M5
Cooling CM SEIDON 240mm
Memory 16GB 3200
Video Card(s) 2x EVGA GTX 970 SSC
Storage 4TB WD Black/512 GB M2 SSD
Display(s) Acer M230HD
Case CM Storm Stryker
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply OCZ Fatality 850
Software WIN 10
fire those bullets .......................

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
There is heat dump from the pump, but it is negligible really. If your pump runs at 18W there is ~18W dumped in the loop. Its not an if...it is. ;)