• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI Drops First Hint of AMD Increasing AM4 CPU Core Counts

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
D

Deleted member 178884

wake me when they finally break 185 points on the cinebench single thread test

Wake up - Overclock a 2700x further?
And take a look at the 7740x it's the king of single thread

System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce 3060 XC Black Gaming 12GB
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data 1 and 2), ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2
I am hoping Zen 2 surpasses Intel for IPC. That would get a fire under both manufacturers and lead to some real improvement after the CPU space has been stagnant since SKT1366.

I'd really like an IPC increase instead of moar cores. Just this once. I know that its an insane request, but that would be really cool... Leave cinebench records for TR4

There is another rumor going around that Zen 2 will have a 15%+ IPC Increase and 10% higher clockspeeds. So yeah, don't worry ;)

Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus TUF-Gaming B550-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon Rx 580 Nitro+ 8GB
Storage HP EX950 512GB + Samsung 970 PRO 1TB
Display(s) HP Z Display Z24i G2
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-5
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Ultra 650W Gold
Mouse Roccat Kone AIMO Remastered
Software Windows 10 x64
Could someone explain this IPC thing to me?
If Intel hasn't upped that for years now, is it even possible? The core count is something different, there was no push for that. But IPC... why not? People wold buy such CPU like crazy.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
If Intel hasn't upped that for years now, is it even possible? The core count is something different, there was no push for that. But IPC... why not? People wold buy such CPU like crazy.

IPC is just a buzz word over here for some reason, and just one factor in performance. I guess it makes you look smart if you can put IPC in a sentence.

Instructions Per Clock. It is the term used to refer to getting higher performance if clock speeds and core counts aren't increased.

If you were to bench an R5 2400X against a Phenom II x4 980 - the 2400X would absolutely crush it. They both have the same amount of cores and clockspeed.

P.S. Yes lol, it is possible to increase IPC. AMD increased it by ~55% between Piledriver vs Zen 1. Intel hasn't really changed architectures since Haswell (2013).

System Name Hotbox
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
IPC stands for Instructions Per Clock, which essentially means "how fast a CPU is at [task X/set of tasks Y/an approximation of all possible tasks] if core count and clock speed are equalized across comparisons".

In other words, if you compare, say, a Core2Quad, a Kaby Lake i5, a Ryzen 3 and a Phenom x4 (all of which have 4 cores and threads), over-/underclock them all to the same frequency, and then benchmark them, you'll end up with a chart of their relative IPC. Of course, this is dependent on both the benchmarks used (as different architectures perform differently in different tasks - as an example, Ryzen overperforms in Cinebench and rendering tasks compared to some other tasks when compared to modern Intel archs) and the various idiosyncrasies of the architecture. Both cache, uncore clock speeds, RAM speed, interconnect speeds and a whole host of lower-level factors affect IPC. As an example, the IPC increase between Zen and Zen+ (Ryzen 1st and 2nd gen) comes mostly from lower cache latencies and better optimized inter-chip communication.

As such, IPC is
a) always an approximation, not to mention task-dependent, and really a summary of a lot of lower-level, difficult to identify performance parameters
b) still a reasonable term for speaking of the performance of an architecture regardless of core count and clock speed.

For example, AMD's FX-series CPUs had lots of cores and sometimes crazy clock speeds, yet were trounced by Intel due to the Core architecture's significantly superior IPC. Which is how a 3.5GHz 4c4t i5 could outperform a 8c8t FX in >90% of tasks. The cores and the clock speed don't matter if the cores are processing fewer instructions per clock (cycle).

As for how/why Intel's IPC hasn't improved in years, it's due to their roadmap shakeup (going from the "tick-tock" release rythm (where one was an architecture refresh, the other a production process node improvement) to the current (yet not really followed) "PAO" or "Process, Architecture, Optimization") and their ever expanding issues with getting their next-gen 10nm process node into volume production.

To clarify: Intel is currently using the 14nm node, either in 14nm+ or 14nm++ versions. The latter two are minor improvements upon the initial 14nm process node, which was launched alongside Broadwell in 2014 (mobile) and 2015 (desktop). As such, Broadwell was a "tick" (process shrink) (although Broadwell was also architecturally different from its predecessor, but never mind that right now). Skylake, following Broadwell, was a "tock", or an architecture improvement. Architecture improvement = IPC increase, at least most of the time.

Then came the issues. 10nm was supposed to launch in 2016. That didn't happen. Instead we got Kaby Lake, which is identical to Skylake architecturally, but produced on an optimized process node (14nm+) which gives it higher clock speeds. Hence the jump in performance from the 6700k to the 7700k was tiny, due to there being only the few-hundred-MHz increase in clock speed to make it faster.

The 10nm issues and delays keep piling up. Currently, it's delayed to 2019, and some (SemiAccurate, among others) believe it won't even be ready by then. Intel has one or two gimped, barely-functional 10nm CPUs out now, which seems like an effort to calm irate investors demanding progress.

As such, Intel has launched Coffee Lake instead. Again, Coffee Lake is architecturally unchanged from Kaby Lake (and thus Skylake), at least in terms of IPC. Of course, Coffee Lake has more cores, is slightly more power efficient (but really not much), and clocks even higher. As such, Coffee Lake CPUs are faster, but their IPC is unchanged. The performance increase comes from small clock increases and a significant increase in cores and threads (i7 from 4/8 to 6/12, i5 from 4/4 to 6/6, and i3 from 2/4 to 4/4).

The reason for Intel doing this is likely that the next "process" step of their "PAO" cadence is yet to show up. As such, they're reiterating "O" (Optimization) steps to tread water until 10nm is ready. To recap, currently Broadwell/14nm was P(rocess), Skylake was A(rchitecture), and both KBL and CFL are O(ptimization). All the while, AMD is catching up, and improving both IPC and moving to smaller process nodes rapidly. If this keeps up, it won't be long until they catch up.

Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus TUF-Gaming B550-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon Rx 580 Nitro+ 8GB
Storage HP EX950 512GB + Samsung 970 PRO 1TB
Display(s) HP Z Display Z24i G2
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-5
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Ultra 650W Gold
Mouse Roccat Kone AIMO Remastered
Software Windows 10 x64
Hmm. Logic says that IPC is clearly defined, and not affected by anything. Faster cache can't make the CPU magically process five IPC instead of four, if that is how the CPU is made, can it?
I know nothing about all this, but it seems like people are incorrectly saying IPC increase instead of performance increase.

System Name Hotbox
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
Hmm. Logic says that IPC is clearly defined, and not affected by anything. Faster cache can't make the CPU magically process five IPC instead of four, if that is how the CPU is made, can it?
I know nothing about all this, but it seems like people are incorrectly saying IPC increase instead of performance increase.
Nope. IPC is a shorthand for something like "all performance parameters intrinsic to a CPU except for clock speed and core/thread count" (although some vendors include SMT as an IPC improvement, as it effectively processes more instructions per clock cycle in the same hardware).

After all, if IPC was "clearly defined, and not affected by anything", you'd either have an incredibly simple CPU or an absolutely perfect CPU with zero bottlenecks (which is both impossible and would be extremely impractical to attempt). And of course faster cache can make the CPU process more instructions per clock if the various processing blocks in the CPU are bottlenecked by cache bandwidth or latency. Pretty much all CPUs have either too little or too slow cache (as increasing cache size also increases latency), so there's always a push to optimize cache size and latency and find a sweet spot for this. And that's just one of the myriad factors affecting CPU performance internally. Pipeline length and width affects IPC, as do all the various functional blocks along the pipeline - both how many of them there are and how they work, as well as how efficiently they can be fed instructions (where the various caches come into play). Then there's branch prediction (of Spectre fame) and all the stuff attached to that - time penalties from mispredictions, time gains from caching correct predictions for repeated instructions, and all the other tricks and tweaks CPU designers have figured out over the years.

Remember, even what constitutes an "instruction" varies across CPU architectures (as they all support varying instruction sets, even within the X86 family). And different instructions require different resources and different amounts of time to be processed. IPC, in other words, is an abstraction that approximates an extremely complex set of performance parameters. Intel's inclusion of AVX-512 instruction decoding hardware on recent HEDT chips is a good example. It's an extremely useful term, as it lets us discuss performance on a less variable level than if we had to include clock speeds and core counts, which to a certain degree obfuscate the true performance of a CPU design.

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard Asrock Taichi X370
Cooling NH-C14, with the AM4 mounting kit
Memory G.Skill Kit 16GB DDR4 F4 - 3200 C16D - 16 GTZB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 480 OC 4 GB
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 850M 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer Deathadder Elite
Software Ubuntu 19.04 LTS

IPC increase, as long as clock speed is the same, equals higher performance. There are even cases such as Zen architecture (VS Bulldozer / Piledriver) where a significant drop in base / turbo clock speeds still produces much higher performance.

Higher performance doesn't necessarily mean higher IPC because you can have better performance due to higher clock speeds while not touching IPC. The more recent Intel architectures are a prime example of this: the base / turbo clock speeds increased and so did the performance but the IPC stayed pretty much the same.

Due to how Zen architecture works, if you can reduce the latency (by whatever means), the chips increases performance: it's why it's much better to pair a Zen based chip with faster memory (as long as it's supported by the board used). If AMD can manage to reduce latency (as apparently they did in Ryzen 2000 VS 1000 series) in subsequent Zen based architectures, that already translates into an IPC increase, by itself.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
I don't know how well a ten or even twelve core cpu would run on a four phase motherboard.

Depends on how power efficient it is. Given that Zen 2 is the first major redesign and is on a smaller node, I suspect that it will run just fine. Current Zen+ chips are very efficient at the same core clock as previous gen.

They'd still be slower than 8 core intels, but I bet that using 6 core ccx's can bring those 12 cores very,very close to i5 levels in gaming. Now 2700x usually gets beaten even by 8400,and I personally blame the ccx-ccx latency.

Yup,otherwise it won't bring any changes. 12 core ryzen would still get beaten by a 6 core i5 in gaming.
I bet if people could get i5 8600k performance in gaming and 7900x performance in productivity tasks at $400-$420 then most of them would not choose the 9th gen i7. Hell, I might even be tempted. Me, a known Intel shill :laugh: Let's just take it easy for now cause the bubble might burst.

Intel has yet to come out with an 8 core CPU that's on the ringbus topology. Intel's current 8 core HEDT CPUs take a performance hit from their mesh architecture and have worse IPC than Zen+. Ringbus is only good for low core counts. Intel is in a pinch right now as it either has to hope the performance hit from an 8 core ringbus isn't too bad or it has to move it's 8 core desktop part over to mesh and accept that their IPC lead is gone.

Zen 2 could have zero architectural improvements and the node shrink alone would give them enough of an IPC, die space, and power savings boost to beat Intel's upcoming offerings which look very dim.

There's a reason they brought Kim Keller on board, they need something other then the annual 3% IPC boost and the cost of increasing die sizes is getting to them.

IPC is just a buzz word over here for some reason, and just one factor in performance. I guess it makes you look smart if you can put IPC in a sentence.

IPC is really the best measure of performance for people on this forum, so that's probably why it's so popular. If you want to talk about multi-threaded performance or memory performance, there are the handbrake and microsoft certified professional forums for those respectively.

It would be great if more applications were able to tap more memory performance or more cores but as it stands right now IPC is king for consumers, enthusiasts, and gamers.

System Name Hotbox
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
Zen 2 could have zero architectural improvements and the node shrink alone would give them enough of an IPC, die space, and power savings boost to beat Intel's upcoming offerings which look very dim.
No. If the arch is unchanged, IPC won't change either. All the rest is true, though. Zen+ IPC with an extra 500MHz clock speed and better power scaling at high clocks from the improved process? That would be sweet.

Processor faster than yours
Motherboard better than yours
Cooling cooler than yours
Memory smarter than yours
Video Card(s) better performance than yours
Storage stronger than yours
Display(s) bigger than yous
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) clearer than yours
Power Supply more powerful than yours
Mouse lighter than yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
Wake up - Overclock a 2700x further?
And take a look at the 7740x it's the king of single thread

meh still sleeping, most review sites like toms, techspot, and techpowerup could not get it past the 4.3ghz base. I found guru3D gets an A for effort to get it to 4.4ghz (183 single thread) through liquid cooling.

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard Asrock Taichi X370
Cooling NH-C14, with the AM4 mounting kit
Memory G.Skill Kit 16GB DDR4 F4 - 3200 C16D - 16 GTZB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 480 OC 4 GB
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 850M 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer Deathadder Elite
Software Ubuntu 19.04 LTS
System Name Ciel
Processor AMD Ryzen R5 5600X
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming B550 Plus
Cooling ID-Cooling 224-XT Basic
Memory 2x 16GB Kingston Fury 3600MHz@3933MHz
Video Card(s) Gainward Ghost 3060 Ti 8GB + Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 8GB
Storage NVMe Kingston KC3000 2TB + NVMe Toshiba KBG40ZNT256G + HDD WD 4TB
Display(s) Gigabyte G27Q + AOC 19'
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Audio Device(s) Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Core 7.1 Wireless PC
Power Supply Aerocool KCAS-500W
Mouse Logitech G203
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11 x64
Bu.. but.. but mah single thread performance! Mah gaymes fps!

Last edited:
Processor faster than yours
Motherboard better than yours
Cooling cooler than yours
Memory smarter than yours
Video Card(s) better performance than yours
Storage stronger than yours
Display(s) bigger than yous
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) clearer than yours
Power Supply more powerful than yours
Mouse lighter than yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
Bu.. but.. but mah single thread performance! Mah gaymes fps!

My single core CPU is much more powerful core v core than your dual core. Remember that argument? It happened each step of the way from single to dual to quad. Also, there is not a whole lot of titles out there that support single thread only anymore. Atleast anything new. On most of the old stuff that does modern systems are so fast it doesn't really matter.

Lets talk about the most recent causality to the IPC argument, The 7700K. Even mondo overclocked there is simply not enough power to keep up with 6 and 8 core CPUs. That thing went into obsolescence with the quickness. I suspect the 8700K will reach the same fate if we get 12-16 cores on mainstream desktops.

System Name Ciel
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Mouse Logitech G203
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11 x64
My single core CPU is much more powerful core v core than your dual core. Remember that argument? It happened each step of the way from single to dual to quad. Also, there is not a whole lot of titles out there that support single thread only anymore. Atleast anything new. On most of the old stuff that does modern systems are so fast it doesn't really matter.

Lets talk about the most recent causality to the IPC argument, The 7700K. Even mondo overclocked there is simply not enough power to keep up with 6 and 8 core CPUs. That thing went into obsolescence with the quickness. I suspect the 8700K will reach the same fate if we get 12-16 cores on mainstream desktops.

Very good reply, but you missed the sarcasm. I'm paraphrasing the Intel fanboys.

System Name Gamer/ HTPC
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard ROG Crosshair VI
Cooling Alphacool Eisbaer 420 AIO
Memory G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3333 CL14
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aorus RX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron 480 GB
Display(s) Samsung 42" 1080p
Case Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass
Power Supply Corsair 750
Software Win10 Pro
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/johan45/
Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
I for one will certainly vouch for Johan on this being the real deal.

System Name Ciel
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Mouse Logitech G203