• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

(MSI G66 Stealth 3080 laptop 95 -> 155W TDP VBIOS Flash 20% perf boost) DisplayPort over Alt Mode stopped working. Share a VBIOS rom please?

zorrobyte

Howdy!

I flashed a 155W TDP VBOIS on my MSI G66 Stealth 3080 16GB and ever since, Displayport over Thunderbolt 3 "DisplayPort over Alt Mode" has stopped working.

I've tried multiple USB to Displayport dongles, multiple cables, and multiple monitors. It just doesn't work, even after a clean reinstall of Windows 10. I've also tried flashing the original VBIOS with no luck.

I'm loving the performance, I'm getting 20%+ higher framerates and after a repaste, the tempatures of the CPU and GPU are very nice. There's no doubt in my mind that this laptop can handle the 155W TDP, even the power delivery and MOSFETs are actively cooled by the heatsink. The adapter is 230W and GPUz is showing that I'm being limited by "pwr" which I'm assuming is the power brick, or power delivery.

However, I'm stuck at 60hz refresh on my ultrawide now with an HDMI cable. MSI doesn't offer another 3070/3080 laptop with Thunderbolt 3 with DisplayPort over Alt Mode, but I would be happy to try a VBOIS from a 3080 that does.

Sadly, my original VBIOS backup got deleted after updating the BIOS, the RAID array gets corrupted and a clean reinstall is required if using a NVME RAID 0 array every single time. Could someone share a backup of their G66 3080 VBOIS, or maybe I'm missing something? I would have thought that the factory VBIOS from MSI's website would have fixed it.

System Name Chip
Processor Amd 5600X
Motherboard MSI B450M Mortar Max
Cooling Hyper 212
Memory 2x 16g ddr4 3200mz
Video Card(s) RX 6700
Storage 5.5 tb hd 220 g ssd
Display(s) Normal moniter
Case something cheap
VR HMD Vive
Does ut gave a bios switch?

System Name Chip
Processor Amd 5600X
Motherboard MSI B450M Mortar Max
Cooling Hyper 212
Memory 2x 16g ddr4 3200mz
Video Card(s) RX 6700
Storage 5.5 tb hd 220 g ssd
Display(s) Normal moniter
Case something cheap
VR HMD Vive
I don't understand. No, the laptop doesn't have a BIOS switch that I'm aware of.
i was unaware it was a laptop thought it was prebuilt

tjflash

howdy sir! I think we can help each other out! although I don't have a 155w bios I do have a working gs66 bios and it has a working display port. On another note do you mind linking or telling me where you got a working 155w bios. I would love to try it out!

Last edited:

zorrobyte

howdy sir! I think we can help each other out! although I don't have a 155w bios I do have a working gs66 bios and it has a working display port. On another note do you mind linking or telling me where you got a working 155w bios. I would love to try it out!
Perfect!

First off you’ll need a patched version of NVFlash.

This overrides the pci mismatch.
Second, you can flash any MSI vbios with a 3080 https://www.notebookcheck.net/Compr...U-along-with-corresponding-TGPs.517977.0.html

I’m using this one: https://www.notebookcheck.net/MSI-GE76-Dragon-Tiamat-10UH.534384.0.html

Your turn could you share a vbios backup from GPU-Z?

zorrobyte

hey bud I guess i need your permission to access the file but I got you covered. here is the link to the rom file! https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1GzrV65DD-Yqi2V1s6Ixn1dbgM4ESeXNt?usp=sharing also if you ever lose your file I think msi has access to them on their support page.
Thanks!

For whatever reason even with the Vbios on their website and flashed stock, the DisplayPort over thunderbolt no longer works. Just keep this in mind before you experiment if that’s important to you. I’d love to hear of your results!

Hi, sorry, I know this thread is old, but ive ended up in the same boat flashing my gs66 3080 vga bios, and losing the backup, after a long discussion with msi tech support, theres no way i can get the vbios from them, would someone mind sharing their gs66 stealth 3080 original rom file?