• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI GL65 - Thermal Pads Replacement

KurokiRyuu

Hello, I was trying to do a thermal paste replacement for my MSI GL65 laptop. I thought might as well replace the thermal pads, but then when I disassemble the laptop, I found that the vrms uses some kind of paste. I'm not sure if it's the same kind of paste you would use for CPU / GPU. I've watch a teardown of this model on youtube and that one has pads.

I've tried searching for which thickness of thermal pads I should use but didn't found any information. Is it safe to also replace the vrms paste with regular thermal paste or is there any way for me to know how thick the pads I should use?
I'm planning to use the noctua NT-H2.

System Name Blackbelt 2
Processor AMD FX 8350
Motherboard ASUS M5A99FX PRO R 2.0
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX3 evo
Memory 8GB Corsair Value Select DDR3
Video Card(s) ASUS R7260X DC2OC 2GB
Storage INTEL 530 series SSD 120 GB, Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) DELL ST 2240L
Case Cooler Master Elite 311
Power Supply CORSAIR VS Series 550W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark 11 6532
i have an asus fx504ge...i repasted the vrms with arctic silver 5...still running fine after 7 months..take care not to spill any onto the traces of the motherboard..

20200830_182655.jpg

you can see the paste just peeking out of the silver coloured metal plate beside the left side fan..

NT-H2 would work just fine...

System Name HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 3647h
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 (fan-less)
Storage 2TB Micron SATA SSD; 2TB Seagate Firecuda 3.5" HDD
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply 12V HP proprietary
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
For me the issue is not so much the thermal conductivity (twice the conductivity is not twice as good), but the longevity. I prefer paste that does not go hard, but as has been pointed out before, just because it solidifies does not mean it is not still doing a good job.

Might want to consider a graphite thermal pad to avoid spill

Attachments

• spill.jpg
    spill.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
D

Deleted member 205776

Hello, I was trying to do a thermal paste replacement for my MSI GL65 laptop. I thought might as well replace the thermal pads, but then when I disassemble the laptop, I found that the vrms uses some kind of paste. I'm not sure if it's the same kind of paste you would use for CPU / GPU. I've watch a teardown of this model on youtube and that one has pads.

I've tried searching for which thickness of thermal pads I should use but didn't found any information. Is it safe to also replace the vrms paste with regular thermal paste or is there any way for me to know how thick the pads I should use?
I'm planning to use the noctua NT-H2.
You can apply NT-H2 on the VRMs if there are no pads and just paste. It's not electrically conductive so no need to worry about that.

Processor i5-9600K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5S
Memory Micron Ballistix Sports LT 3000 8G*4
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070 XC3 Ultra Gaming
Storage Adata SX6000 Pro 512G, Kingston A2000 1T
Display(s) Gigabyte M32Q
Case Antec DF700 Flux
Audio Device(s) Edifier C3X
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Gold 650W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V2
Keyboard Ducky ONE 2 Horizon
Any non-electrical conducting thermal paste should be fine, or you could just buy thermal pads if you can get ones thin enough.

KurokiRyuu

Alright thanks for the response guys, I would get thermal pads but I don't know how thick or think they should be.
I'll try using thermal paste for now