• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI GS60 Ghost Pro mini review and upgrade log.

trama09

Trama09, I uploaded the instructions by editing the original post, please let me know if you have any questions, good luck!

You, sir, are a saint! Now I just need to get an M.2 and some RAM and I'll be 100% in love with this laptop!

I wanted a thin powerhouse of a laptop that could also do gaming on the go, so my choices were this, the Razor Blade, and upcoming Lenovo Y50. Obviously, I chose the GS60 Ghost (GTX870M with 1080P model), and I couldnt be happier! Well after I repaste and upgrade a couple parts. I had high expectations and this laptop definitely surpassed them with the raw power, looks, and expandability. This is one the of the best purchases I have ever made, and it was even better that my new job offered to pay for over half of it ;)

Anyways, thank you so much for all the pictures and information! I'll definitely update my progress/ results when I get around to putting the parts in!

Processor Intel Core i9 13900KF
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Hero EVA Edition
Cooling Asus Ryujin II 360 EVA Edition
Memory 4x16GBs DDR5 6800MHz G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo Series
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 4090 AMP Extreme Airo
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro OS - 4TB Nextorage G Series Games - 8TBs WD Black Storage
Display(s) LG C2 OLED 42" 4K 120Hz HDR G-Sync enabled TV
Case Asus ROG Helios EVA Edition
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S910W - 7.1 Klipsch Dolby ATMOS Speaker Setup - Audeze Maxwell
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 1300W
Mouse Asus ROG Keris EVA Edition - Asus ROG Scabbard II EVA Edition
Keyboard Asus ROG Strix Scope EVA Edition
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey VR
Software Windows 11 Pro 64bit
You, sir, are a saint! Now I just need to get an M.2 and some RAM and I'll be 100% in love with this laptop!

I wanted a thin powerhouse of a laptop that could also do gaming on the go, so my choices were this, the Razor Blade, and upcoming Lenovo Y50. Obviously, I chose the GS60 Ghost (GTX870M with 1080P model), and I couldnt be happier! Well after I repaste and upgrade a couple parts. I had high expectations and this laptop definitely surpassed them with the raw power, looks, and expandability. This is one the of the best purchases I have ever made, and it was even better that my new job offered to pay for over half of it ;)

Anyways, thank you so much for all the pictures and information! I'll definitely update my progress/ results when I get around to putting the parts in!

You're more than welcome mate! :toast:

I'm happy to hear from another happy Ghost Pro fellow, also, in case I missed it in the original post, this is the exact RAM module you need to upgrade to 16GBs, it has the correct voltage, timings and clocks:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CQ35HBQ/?tag=tec06d-20

Good luck upgrading your lappy, and please share your results and pictures with us in this thread :)

Vmonchai

I've just recently got this nice GS60 Ghost unfortunately in Thailand only available with 5,400 rpm HDD. I would like to try Linux on usb thumb drive, I tried once but my GS60 still boot as normal not recognized my Mint on usb at all.
Please advise me how to set up GS60 to start from usb drive. Thanks in advance.

Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro OS - 4TB Nextorage G Series Games - 8TBs WD Black Storage
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S910W - 7.1 Klipsch Dolby ATMOS Speaker Setup - Audeze Maxwell
I've just recently got this nice GS60 Ghost unfortunately in Thailand only available with 5,400 rpm HDD. I would like to try Linux on usb thumb drive, I tried once but my GS60 still boot as normal not recognized my Mint on usb at all.
Please advise me how to set up GS60 to start from usb drive. Thanks in advance.

You need to change boot mode from UEFI to LEGACY in bios and then choose the USB drive as your boot drive.

Good luck.

mrwackawacka

Hey!
I have the GS60 - 007 Model with the 128SSD boot drive. Besides buying an mSATA SSD ( Samsug EVO on Amazon looks amazing for the price) what else do I need to do to make it work in Super RAID and all that? Ive already filled up most of the 128 with programs and would like a little more wiggle room

Last edited:

trama09

Hey!
I have the GS60 - 007 Model with the 128SSD boot drive. Besides buying an mSATA SSD ( Samsug EVO on Amazon) what else do I need to do to make it work in Super RAID and all that? Ive already filled up most of the 128 with programs and would like a little more wiggle room
Hmmm I'd start buy buying the correct form factor SSD. It's not mSATA, it's actually M.2.

zXioNGz

Hey dude, nice review there I gotten the MSI Ghost Pro as well, but I would like to know how to actually disable the irritating 30FPS limiter? I went to the Nvidia GeForce Experience applications and under preferences>battery, I set it to OFF, but still after launching my Dota 2, it will still be limited to 30FPS.... hardly playable...

I read your first post and you mentioned you off it at Nvidia Control Panel? But I can't seem to find any options for it tho, I tried going to the 3D settings and then place it under Max Performace instead of Adaptive, but still it gives me 30 FPS lol.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Xodarap777

Hopefully, you guys are still around :)

I've been really wanting to get exactly this notebook, but I'm worried about one thing: the cooling intake from the top of the case instead of the bottom.

1. Does that prevent using the laptop while it's closed? I like to dock my laptop and run a dual-monitor setup - including for gaming. I also like to run it closed to plug into TVs, etc. I assume that with the lid closed and the air intake therefore covered, it doesn't work well closed?

2. What about my (awesome) laptop external fan cooler? It blows from the bottom, obviously. I know that there are some (small) vents on the bottom, but to they cover heatpipes effectively? Or is this a loss, creating airflow in the wrong direction?

Hopefully, you guys are still around :)

I've been really wanting to get exactly this notebook, but I'm worried about one thing: the cooling intake from the top of the case instead of the bottom.

1. Does that prevent using the laptop while it's closed? I like to dock my laptop and run a dual-monitor setup - including for gaming. I also like to run it closed to plug into TVs, etc. I assume that with the lid closed and the air intake therefore covered, it doesn't work well closed?

2. What about my (awesome) laptop external fan cooler? It blows from the bottom, obviously. I know that there are some (small) vents on the bottom, but to they cover heatpipes effectively? Or is this a loss, creating airflow in the wrong direction?

The laptop has some small vents in the bottom, and using my laptop cooler has helped reduce temps by 2~3 degrees, but I've noticed most of the airflow into the Dan's comes from the grill over the keyboard, as the fans suck air directly from this grill.

I would probably recommend another laptop like the aorus x3, blade 14 or other Asus gaming laptops that offer good performance and portability :)

verjil

hi guys....:rockout:

ihave this laptop and i plugged an external dvd driver to it so i could use a bootable dvd..:peace::peace:

but whatever i do i cannot access to the bios to change the boot option..:banghead::banghead::banghead:

i made it...hahaha..:toast:

.but steal it has no option for boot from a n external dvd driver...now what should i dooooo????:cry:
can u guide me plsssssssssssssss...:respect::respect:
ty so much

Last edited:
hi guys....:rockout:

ihave this laptop and i plugged a external dvd driver to it so i could use a bootable dvd..:peace::peace:

but whatever i do i cannot access to the bios to change the boot option..:banghead::banghead::banghead:

can u guide me plsssssssssssssss...:respect::respect:
ty so much
EDIT: just read your message again, I think you need to keep pressing F2 in order to get into the bios as the laptops boots :)

Hi, and congrats on your purchase :)

In order to boot from your DVD drive you have to go in the bios and disable uefi booting on it

I hope that helps :)

Last edited:

verjil

EDIT: just read your message again, I think you need to keep pressing F2 in order to get into the bios as the laptops boots :)

Hi, and congrats on your purchase :)

In order to boot from your DVD drive you have to go in the bios and disable uefi booting on it

I hope that helps :)

oh sry that part that i wrote" i made it" is when i edit my post after i found out how to do that:cool::cool::cool:.....we must use .dell. instead of f2

...ty man

i will try it and i will edit this post ....

ty again:):)

awsome help Warlock.....it worked....tyyyyyyy:respect::respect:

now i have 3 partition in my laptop..:pimp::roll::nutkick:

Last edited:

Solo McKilroy

I've got a GS60 as well, but need some help.

I have installed 2 SSDs, set them up as a RAID in BIOS. Then I used EaseUS Partition Manager to copy the partitions from the standard HDD to the RAID and removed the HDD.

Machine response, boot times, program launch times, etc have improved drastically, however, I have an intermittent problem now whereby when the laptop is powered down, I press the Power button and it lights up blue. The keyboard backlight comes on red. The MSI logo appears on screen. Then it powers off.

The next time I try to boot, it will boot up fine. It only seems to happen the first time I boot up. I thought it was failing a CMOS check or something, but when I enter BIOS, I don't get any errors.

The only peripheral is a Logitech USB dongle for my wireless mouse. I just unplugged that, and tried to boot - same problem, so that can't be the source of the problem.

Any ideas for troubleshooting?

Subzie

Hi all

i just stumbled across this thread and its brilliant as to what i need for in terms of a upgrade of my memory, many thanks for the information

I do have 1 question on a side note, i see that you use a coolermaster laptop cooler, which one do you use and is it any good as im prolly looking to get one myself

regards

Subzie