• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 3 GB

MicheleM79

Hi guys,
new member here and really newbie when talking about graphics cards.
This is a great review, and I need one simple suggestion from you, regarding this card.
The main thing here is: I don't game, absolutely no games on my machine. I'm a programmer/systemadministrator
and I'm about to purchase 3 wide monitors (29" 2650x1080), I really enjoy the multi-monitor rig because
it increases my productivity a lot. Sometimes I also enjoy watching some blu-ray/MKV. The PC is really silent and
I'd like to keep it that way! :) . The current card is old and has only one digital out, so it's time to change.
So the question: considering budget's not a problem, is this card (MSI GTX 1060 X 3G) the right one for me?
Should I buy the 6GB version for a better multi-monitor setup? Better wait for the upcoming 1050 to save money?
(perhaps considering the MSI version that seems silent as fanless in idle). Or better point to AMD RX 460/470 ?

Many thanks in advance,
Regards
Michele

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Hi guys,
new member here and really newbie when talking about graphics cards.
This is a great review, and I need one simple suggestion from you, regarding this card.
The main thing here is: I don't game, absolutely no games on my machine. I'm a programmer/systemadministrator
and I'm about to purchase 3 wide monitors (29" 2650x1080), I really enjoy the multi-monitor rig because
it increases my productivity a lot. Sometimes I also enjoy watching some blu-ray/MKV. The PC is really silent and
I'd like to keep it that way! :) . The current card is old and has only one digital out, so it's time to change.
So the question: considering budget's not a problem, is this card (MSI GTX 1060 X 3G) the right one for me?
Should I buy the 6GB version for a better multi-monitor setup? Better wait for the upcoming 1050 to save money?
(perhaps considering the MSI version that seems silent as fanless in idle). Or better point to AMD RX 460/470 ?

Many thanks in advance,
Regards
Michele
1050 should be plenty for your needs (integrated GPUs from intel are enough for the job). But wait for reviews on the 1050 and then compare with 460/470.
I think what you need is something with passive or semi-active cooling and with the necessary amount of outputs. Outputs shouldn't be a problem these days, but cooling solutions vary quite a lot.
Amount of VRAM is also irrelevant, you're not going to have to store huge textures.

If you watch movies, you may want to look at video output quality. I know AMD used to have an advantage (i.e. look better), but since I'm not a movies aficionado, I don't know whether that still holds true (or where to go to get an update).

Also, if you're going to use Linux, you're looking at another decision. Nvidia had the best Linux support for a while, but AMD has recently switched to an open-source driver strategy. That driver seems to be still up and coming, but it seems to do well enough on newer hardware.

MicheleM79

1050 should be plenty for your needs (integrated GPUs from intel are enough for the job). But wait for reviews on the 1050 and then compare with 460/470.
I think what you need is something with passive or semi-active cooling and with the necessary amount of outputs. Outputs shouldn't be a problem these days, but cooling solutions vary quite a lot.
Amount of VRAM is also irrelevant, you're not going to have to store huge textures.

If you watch movies, you may want to look at video output quality. I know AMD used to have an advantage (i.e. look better), but since I'm not a movies aficionado, I don't know whether that still holds true (or where to go to get an update).

Also, if you're going to use Linux, you're looking at another decision. Nvidia had the best Linux support for a while, but AMD has recently switched to an open-source driver strategy. That driver seems to be still up and coming, but it seems to do well enough on newer hardware.

@bug Yeah, thanks bug for your suggestions.
My main needs/concerns are multiple digital outputs, silence, decent video quality (also with 4K/HEVC - monitor future upgrade/adding).
Regarding silence, yes I always had passive Asus solution cards, but this MSI GTX seems to keep 0 dB in idle (stop fans).
Another interesting point is VRAM: really I don't need 6GB for a multiple monitors rig ? (considering gaming is not a need).

Many Thanks
Michele

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
@bug Yeah, thanks bug for your suggestions.
My main needs/concerns are multiple digital outputs, silence, decent video quality (also with 4K/HEVC - monitor future upgrade/adding).
Regarding silence, yes I always had passive Asus solution cards, but this MSI GTX seems to keep 0 dB in idle (stop fans).
Another interesting point is VRAM: really I don't need 6GB for a multiple monitors rig ? (considering gaming is not a need).

Many Thanks
Michele
Nope, you absolutely don't need 6GB for multiple monitors. If you look here: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Performance_Analysis/Deus_Ex_Mankind_Divided/5.html you'll see not even games need that much (unless devs don't care and load them up with tons of textures and then load them all up).
To give you an idea, 4k is ~8MP. At 32bits per channel, you're looking at 32MB. Three monitors -> 96MB. VRAM is definitely not an issue if you're not doing 3D work (e.g. gaming, CAD).

System Name Team Crimson
Processor AMD FX 8320
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3
Cooling Corsair H80i
Memory DDR3 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 480 8GB RAM
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB / Crucial MX300 275GB
Display(s) AOC 2752H 27" 1080p
Case NZXT Source 220 Windowed
Power Supply Antec Earthworks 650W
Mouse Logitech M510/ AGPTEK T-90 Zelotes
Keyboard Logitech K360/ iBUYPOWER TTC RED Switch Mechanical
Software Windows 8.1 64 Bit
Gaming or not gaming, I would say the 3GB 1060 is not the card for anyone just based on principle. This card is deceptively titled as it is not a full 1060 chip with cut-down processors, and should be litigated as consumer fraud.

As you say budget is not an issue but you still like to save money, I would give consideration to the used card market. Particularly used EVGA cards as the 3 year warranty is transferable, even without a receipt as they will honor the warranty from the date of manufacture. Just to give an example, I just saw an used EVGA 980Ti 6GB going for $350, this card new was selling at over $700 a year ago.

If you just want to run three 1080p monitors and just play movies, you don't really need a high end card like the example I gave you, but if you go for a used card then why the hell not?
Particularly if you would like to go to higher resolutions, which I think you should if haven't yet purchased the monitors. Why? Because soon 1080p will be like today's 720p, and the prices of 1440p Freesync monitors are coming way down.
Besides future relevance, it just plain looks awesome and why not watch movies with the best visual quality?

Sounds like you are about to have a fun time shopping!

MicheleM79

Perfect,
many thanks to bug and Ungari, really some interesting things to think about!
Yeah, no problem with budget but if I could save some money and put it in other
hardware, it's only good!
Can this card (GTX 1060) keep 2560x1080 (or higher) in each of the 3 monitor at the same time? I hope it can! I think in the future I will add a 4K TV to the HDMI out.
Regarding movie video quality, I also read about AMD being superior, but it was years ago,
I don't know if today is the same.

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Perfect,
many thanks to bug and Ungari, really some interesting things to think about!
Yeah, no problem with budget but if I could save some money and put it in other
hardware, it's only good!
Can this card (GTX 1060) keep 2560x1080 (or higher) in each of the 3 monitor at the same time? I hope it can! I think in the future I will add a 4K TV to the HDMI out.
Regarding movie video quality, I also read about AMD being superior, but it was years ago,
I don't know if today is the same.

Thanks guys!

AMD was better with video, was. The new Crimson drivers hide the video adjustment settings and the only way to access them is through registry keys/values. They have done better with driver performance but haven't bothered to fix the new interface with the updates they promised long ago. So essentially they are still doing the same crap but with a different focus.

MicheleM79

AMD was better with video, was. The new Crimson drivers hide the video adjustment settings and the only way to access them is through registry keys/values. They have done better with driver performance but haven't bothered to fix the new interface with the updates they promised long ago. So essentially they are still doing the same crap but with a different focus.

Yeah I don't know, considering the raw video quality, which one is better, maybe as you said it's only a matter of drivers?
Or maybe today there's no differences. Ok guys many thanks, I think I'll wait a bit for GTX 1050, in the meantime looking for something
in the used market (however not so easy here where I live, and I always prefer new if possible).
Possibly, if I want to use the 3 displayport outputs in the card for 3 hdmi/dvi monitors, could I bump into some problem?
A simple cable DP <=> HDMI should be enough?

Many thanks,
Regards

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Yeah I don't know, considering the raw video quality, which one is better, maybe as you said it's only a matter of drivers?
Or maybe today there's no differences. Ok guys many thanks, I think I'll wait a bit for GTX 1050, in the meantime looking for something
in the used market (however not so easy here where I live, and I always prefer new if possible).
Possibly, if I want to use the 3 displayport outputs in the card for 3 hdmi/dvi monitors, could I bump into some problem?
A simple cable DP <=> HDMI should be enough?

Many thanks,
Regards
AMD is still marginally better if you spend the time to tweak the settings in the registry. With MHC and a few other programs able to use shaders/CUDA for hardware acceleration and upscaling, and now that Nvidia has corrected/added the ability to tweak output format and color depth its tit for tat if you spend the time to tweak the settings for hardware for either.

The only remaining issue is a lot of reports on the Gforce forums about black screens occasionally and video latency/popping issues with Nvidia cards, AMD has higher multi-monitor power consumption since the clock/power domains are still tied together for video output.

You may need active DP to HDMI cable adapters for either brand.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
Oh for media playback, always use madVR. "Makes SD look like HD"

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
What he said ^^^^

Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Auros Elite AX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory GSKILL 2x16gb 6000mhz Cas 30 with custom timings
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6750 XT MECH 2X 12G OC
Storage Adata SX8200 1tb with Windows, Samsung 990 Pro 2tb with games
Display(s) HP Omen 27q QHD 165hz
Case ThermalTake P3
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Titanium
Software Windows 11 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores CB23: 1811 / 19424 CB24: 1136 / 7687
Oh for media playback, always use madVR. "Makes SD look like HD"
It does more than that. It makes a low quality video download look like HD.

System Name Dell Precision T5810
Processor Xeon E5-1650 v3
Motherboard Dell X99
Cooling Dell fans x 2
Memory 8 x 4GB 2400 DDR4 ECC
Video Card(s) Asus 2070 Turbo (blower style)
Storage 860 evo 500GB / Ironwolf 4TB
Display(s) LG C1 OLED 55"
Case Dell
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Dell 685W
Mouse Logitech something
Keyboard Dell OEM
Hello W1zzard
Would it be possible to do some Folding at home testing after you finish the main 3D part and update us with the results a few days later? I mean, after all, you have all the latest and greatest hardware on hand !