1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI GTX 660 testing

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by TheGoat Eater, Sep 13, 2012.

1. TheGoat Eater

TheGoat Eater

Thanks Received:
    MSI GTX 660 testing

*so far I was testing the card with a review driver since Nvidia just released 306.23 today, which is meant to include the 660. The driver I was using seemed to have issues in older versions of DirectX ( 9 and below - as well as some shakiness in 10 ), For this reason I am retesting with the version that released today and will be updating this as I go along.*

For the current post I will post some pictures while I get some results re-ran instead of posting up pre-release driver tests.

The unit I have is an OC variant, with Afterburner I am able to get the card to its max for Unigine Heaven (DX11) and 3DMark11 @ a base/boost clock of 1118/1183 (MHz) and a memory clock to 1757MHz - this is over the stock 1033/1098 core and 1502 on mem. During the benchmarks that I was able to run with the pre-release driver I found it was happy chugging along at 1200MHz (a few ticks under1200 up to 1228 depending on the part of the scene)

Specs:

Product Name: N660 TF 2GD5(/OC)
    Model: V287
    GPU Codename: GK106
    CUDA Cores: 960
    Core Base Clock: 980 MHz (OC: 1033 MHz)
    Core Boost Clock: 1033 MHz (OC: 1098 MHz)
    Memory Clock: 6008 MHz (OC: 6008 MHz)
    Memory Size: 2GB GDDR5
    Memory Bus: 192 bits
    Outputs: DisplayPort / HDMI / DL-DVI-I / DL-DVI-D
    TDP: <150 W
    Card Dimension: 235x125.2x35.8 mm
    Form Factor: ATX
    DirectX: 11
    OpenGL: 4.2
    PCI Express: 3.0
    CUDA: Yes
    SLI: Yes ~ 2-way
    PhysX: Yes
    PureVideo HD: Yes
    3DVision Surround: Yes, 3 outputs per card

To be updated soon - will be a as soon as I can do it :) (Very Tired with a long night of testing done and more to do asap ;) )

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Test Results

I will be running many more tests - these are just the beginning :) - It does take a while to run each test a few times and do a lot of them for fine tuning card settings, edit them, make the posting easy to look at, and get rested for it again lol.

Stock @ 1033/1098MHz default base/boost 1502MHz memory

Max Overclocked Limits (stable) @ 1118/1183 default base /boost 1757MHz memory
    Specifics: core voltage +100mV / power limit @ 110% / GPU Core offset @ +85MHz / memory offset @ +510MHz w/ auto fan​

3DMark11 Entry @ Stock
    [​IMG]

3DMark11 Entry @ Overclocked Limit
    [​IMG]

3DMark11 Performance @ Stock
    [​IMG]

3DMark11 Performance @ Overclocked Limit
    [​IMG]

3DMark11 Extreme @ Stock
    [​IMG]

3DMark11 Extreme @ Overclocked Limit
    [​IMG]

Unigine Heaven

Basic DX9 @ Stock
    [​IMG]

Basic DX9 @ Overclocked Limit
    [​IMG]

Extreme DX11 @ Stock
    [​IMG]

Extreme DX11 @ Overclocked Limit
    [​IMG]

Moar tests on the way :)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  2. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    Nice pikkies, looking forward to the results.
    :toast:

3. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    tip: don't use a background with high contrast patterns, especially not repeating ones

you seem to be getting some lens distortion, you can avoid this by moving away from the subject and using optical zoom instead

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    lol ikr.. I think this is a trick.. If you read this topic, he will control your mind..
    Run away! :laugh:

5. TheGoat Eater

TheGoat Eater

Thanks Received:
    I hastily did that and I should have known better :/ - I am getting some new material for background this week and will be getting my tent and studio items soon.... Plus a canon DSLR loaner (family camera store - so I should have known better :'( ) sorry - next pictures should be far better

Results also added - these are with the official driver and I will be doing more benchmarks and test over the next few days

6. W1zzard

Thanks Received:
    With most cams you want to use mode AV, set aperture to a reasonable value like 8 to 12, use a tripod, set iso low manually, manual white balance, no flash and you'll have pro review pics :)

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. TheGoat Eater

TheGoat Eater

Thanks Received:
    yeah I usually know how to do good pictures (always manual settings guy here LOL), was just a bad set - my lamps, tripod and the like were/ are at my father's place until he can get them to me - also a tent to shoot inside of :) . Needless to say I wanted to get the pictures taken and get to the good stuff - testing the card. I need to work on my patience lol, I do admit that

8. W1zzard

Thanks Received:
    Same here :)

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. Black Mesa New Member

Thanks Received:
    Tip 3Dmark etc are useless benckmarks use real games or nothing at all please and thanx.

10. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Tip. They are not useless. 3DMark has a score rating that is consistent with various hardware configurations that serve as a baseline of what other hardware configurations should score. Hence, why it is called a benchmark.

10 Year Member at TPU
  11. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Synthetic bench tools CAN compare the raw power of one GPU to another, but the problem is it doesn't translate to any kind of consistent ratio as far as how they compare in real world gaming, and THAT is why most gamers skip through the bench tool reviews and go straight to the game reviews.

I've been looking at the GTX 660 reviews a lot, and was tempted to go for one, but I think I've changed my mind. The Guru3D review on this card kinda woke me up, and never did I expect it would be on a bench of Sniper Elite V2 on all Ultra settings. In that scenario it helps to have at least something like the Giga 660 Ti OC, which is the one I'm now considering.

BTW, why are there suddenly no more ASUS 660 Ti TOPs around?

12. nikostntt New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi guys..!!
    i got same gpu..but your chip is samsung..my chip is Hynix!!
    :O
    Why?
    thank you..!! :D