1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI GTX 670 TFIV PE heat problems

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by Diymhoshei, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Diymhoshei New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi all,

Basically my temps go up to and sometimes above 85 when gaming with this card! I know that its perfectly safe for it to do so, but considering its supposed to be one of the quieter, cooler cards on the market I think this is a bit odd, do you? Its a lot louder and hotter than my old stock 5870 and my room temp is around 16-20 most of the time, with the card idle temp about 27-29. I have a Antec 902 case with air cooling only, but surely this card shouldn't be running this hot/loud?! I was playing SC Blacklist earlier and it got to 86!

Many thanks,

Diym

2. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    Have you checked for a build up of dust in the cooler?

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. kn00tcn

kn00tcn

Thanks Received:
    it's actually louder than a stock 5870? what fan % & rpm is it?

4. Diymhoshei New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the replies,

The card is only 4-5 weeks old, and I gave my case a good clean out when I first installed the card. The fans go up to 75%, with the rpm around 3300-3500. Its weird, because when I first used the card on Metro LL with all the settings maxed out, it went no higher than 70-72 degrees and was perfect noise wise, even after extended amounts off gaming. Now it just keeps getting hotter an hotter?!?

Cheers,

Jonny

5. buildzoid

buildzoid

Thanks Received:
    probably badly mounted cooler or crap thermal paste so if you can take the cooler of without voiding warrant take the cooler of replace the thermal paste and remount the cooler

6. dhdude

Thanks Received:
    What drivers are you running?

7. Diymhoshei New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't trust my technical skills to reapply the thermal paste my self, so I think it's gonna have to be an RMA job! I'm using the latest drivers and had the same problem on the old one, but I am right in thinking that the card isn't running properly? Don't want to send it back and them say there's naf all wrong with card!

Cheers,

Diym