• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI GTX560Ti Overheat

DeityLoki

System Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
Processor Intel i5-2500k
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth P67
Memory Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1600MHz
Video Card(s) 2x MSI GTX560Ti 1GB SLi
Storage 120GB (2 x 60GB) Intel X25M SSD RAID 0
Display(s) LG W2343T
Case CoolerMaster Storm Scout
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Hello friends. I've come here because I've been banging my head against a wall for the last week or so attempting to get a MSI GTX560Ti to cool down. The back-story is that this card is one that I just recently received as a part of a RMA process. My last video card's (same model) fan was making a terrible buzzing sound and the card was producing artifacts and stuttering. The one that I received back from them worked normally for about 3 weeks with load temperatures around 57-60C. Just in the last 7 days however, it started getting all the way up to 100C (crazy and dangerous, I know). Here's what I've tried to get the temperatures down:

1. Replaced the terrible thermal paste job the RMA tech did, it was low quality and oozing out off of the side of the die. Replaced with some fresh Arctic Silver.

2. Upped the fan profiles for every section of my case. I have an ASUS Sabertooth P67 and use their AI Suite II software to monitor the 12 temperature sensors placed around the board. Sensors rarely read higher than 42C anywhere on the board, including the PCI-E ports.

3. Upped the fan profiles for the cards themselves through MSI Afterburner. The fan runs at 100% anytime it's over 75C, which is just about any time I use the card for anything other than web surfing and email anymore. It makes for tons of noise, and is a bother.

4. I added an exhaust fan in the PCI slot next to the overheating card, hoping to evacuate any heated air that might have been building up next to it. Counting this addition, the case has 6 fans.

5. I even updated the BIOS hoping that maybe it was a weird software problem. BIOS Version is 70.24.21.00.00

6. I've tried switching my cards around to see if there was an abnormal load being placed on the primary card or something. Even in the secondary position the card in question runs far and beyond temperature norms.

Even with all of this, the card still runs at around 85C under load. I have an identical card in the case that I run in SLi as the secondary card and its has been sitting around 54-57C under load, which suggests that the issue lies with the primary card. Both of the card's fans run normally and speed up like you'd expect them to when the temperature goes up. The only thing I can think of that I haven't tried at this point is trying to read the temperature of the die with a laser thermometer or something to confirm that the sensor is accurate.

In any case, any help or tips you guys could suggest would be much appreciated.

Specs Edit: The cards are running at their stock speeds of 880MHz under a voltage of 1.000V.

The rest of my setup is as follows:
CoolerMaster Storm Scout Case (All fan slots filled)
ASUS Sabertooth P67 Motherboard
Intel i5-2500k CPU
Corsair Vengeance 8GB RAM @ 1600
2x Intel X25-M SSD in RAID0
WD Green 500GB HDD
2x MSI GTX560Ti in SLi
Corsair HX850 850W PSU (Modular cables for better air flow)

Last edited:

Athlon2K15

HyperVtX™
Processor Intel Core i9 11900K
Motherboard MSI Z590 Carbon EK X
Cooling Custom Water
Memory Team DDR4 4000MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 3080 OC
Storage WD WN850 1TB
Display(s) 43" LG NanoCell 4K 120Hz
Power Supply Asus Thor 1200w
Mouse Asus Strix Evolve