• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI Issues Clarification on Next-Gen AMD CPU Support on 300-series Motherboards

Without protests or boycots people get nowhere, a good example is those stupid feminists flocking around to increase their chances on getting something for their cause.

Not this again, I hate to break it to you but that last article about equal rights (diversity?) blew up worse than this!

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600@80W
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling ZALMAN CNPS9X OPTIMA
Memory 2*8GB PATRIOT PVS416G400C9K@3733MT_C16
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6750 XT Pulse 12GB
Storage Sandisk SSD 128GB, Kingston A2000 NVMe 1TB, Samsung F1 1TB, WD Black 10TB
Display(s) AOC 27G2U/BK IPS 144Hz
Case SHARKOON M25-W 7.1 BLACK
Audio Device(s) Realtek 7.1 onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Core GC 500W
Mouse Sharkoon SHARK Force Black
Keyboard Trust GXT280
Software Win 7 Ultimate 64bit/Win 10 pro 64bit/Manjaro Linux
Nice! Exactly what I expected to see after the news came out yesteday and our initial responses takling about them losing sales from now on if the play this against the customers.

Processor Intel 7700K 5.1Ghz (Intel advised me not to OC this CPU)
Motherboard Asus Maximus IX Code
Cooling Corsair Hydro H115i Platinum
Memory 48GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 3200 Dual Channel (2x16 & 2x8)
Video Card(s) nVIDIA Titan XP (Overclocks like a champ but stock performance is enough)
Storage Intel 760p 2280 2TB
Display(s) MSI Optix MPG27CQ Black 27" 1ms 144hz
Case Thermaltake View 71
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 1000 Platinum2
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro (not recommded, I am on my second mouse with same defect)
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 1803
Benchmark Scores Yes I am Intel fanboy that is my benchmark score.
They absolutely did their job the right way. They reported, proactively, on a situation as it was developing with the information they had available. I personally loath fake-news. If @btarunr had put any spin or twist to it I would have called him out as I have in the past. He did not. The information and the way it was conveyed in the article was factual and comprehensive.

First of all thank you for backing me up on this. Members are finding faults when there are non to be found.

Members still fail to admit that MSI said they were wrong at first place for misinformation!. TPU their job is to provide us with information related to tech both without bias and variance and they have done just that.

Last edited:

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
First of all thank you for backing me up on this. Members are finding faults when there are non to be found.

Members still fail to admit that MSI said they were wrong at first place for misinformation!. Their job is to provide us with information related to tech both without bias and variance and they have done just that.
And your attitude, thinking MSI made that statement, is EXACT illustration why low level flunkies are not allowed to speak for most businesses or government organizations. It leads people to the wrong conclusions

System Name Strix-13700K
Processor Intel i7-13700K
Motherboard Asus Strix-A D4
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite LCD
Memory Thermaltake ToughRam 4 x 8GB DDR4 3600
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX 3080 12GB
Storage Western digital Black SN850 1TB - PCIe Gen 4 M.2-2 and Western Digital Blue 1TB SN750 PCIe Gen 3
Display(s) MSI Optix MPG341CQR Ulta-wide 3440x1440p 144Hz and a Samsung 50 inch TV 4K TV
Case NZXT H7 Flow
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G5 1000w Gold
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro Mouse
Keyboard Corsair STRAFE MK2 RGB
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 = 31270 Multicore test
They absolutely did their job the right way. They reported, proactively, on a situation as it was developing with the information they had available. I personally loath fake-news. If @btarunr had put any spin or twist to it I would have called him out as I have in the past. He did not. The information and the way it was conveyed in the article was factual and comprehensive.

Oh my, so TPU reported the story correctly!!! Really!!! Read this from TPU's own story....

'Greedy motherboard vendors such as MSI want you to buy a new motherboard every two generations of processor for no sound reason at all. '

Does that sound like an unbiased new story at all!!!! How many greedy motherboard vendors are out there? who are these greedy motherboard vendors? please name these greedy motherboard vendors? and most importantly, please provide some proof of this?

TPU could have written this any number of ways, and then checked up with MSI directly to get an answer but of course not, this is not reporting, this is just personalised bias of the highest order mascarading as a new story. What has happened to objectively handling a news worthy story? Also those days are gone because, and lets just be honest here, it's all about sensationalism to drive clicks and of course in turn money....

D

Deleted member 24505

And your attitude, thinking MSI made that statement, is EXACT illustration why low level flunkies are not allowed to speak for most businesses or government organizations. It leads people to the wrong conclusions

He might have been a low level flunky, but was responding to a question from a customer, therefore the wrong information DID cpme from MSI

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
He might have been a low level flunky, but was responding to a question from a customer, therefore the wrong information DID cpme from MSI
:banghead::banghead::banghead:

MSI did make the originating statement. MSI tech support agents are still MSI reps. That rep didn't make the statement publicly as a press statement, it was made in a private conversation to a lone MSI customer. However, the statement was still made and it was likely made because that rep was instructed to make it. So the very likely reality is that the rep in question didn't actually make a mistake so much as he/she was the victim of circumstance. Regardless, the statement originated inside MSI and thus the TPU article report is valid.

Stop defending a company who has already accepted accountability for the error and issued a clarification.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
LOL. How could anyone say the previous story was handled the right way?

Oh my, so TPU reported the story correctly!!! Really!!! Read this from TPU's own story....

'Greedy motherboard vendors such as MSI want you to buy a new motherboard every two generations of processor for no sound reason at all. '

Does that sound like an unbiased new story at all!!!! How many greedy motherboard vendors are out there? who are these greedy motherboard vendors? please name these greedy motherboard vendors? and most importantly, please provide some proof of this?
Yup, I read it and agree with it. Here's the flaw. @btarunr was actively trying to highlight the potential reason for limiting support to older motherboards, greed. We know damn well it will not be for incompatibility because AMD deliberately and specifically engineered their CPU's and Chipsets to be compatible for a certain number of generations. So any motherboard maker who does not issue updates for their motherboards would be doing it for one reason alone, to sell more motherboards, IE GREED. Such behavior is not in line with the specifcations AMD laid out for motherboard makers to follow.

Btarunr was absolutely correct for both reporting the problem and for the wording used to call out MSI on a potentially serious mistake.
LOL. How could anyone say the previous story was handled the right way?
See above..

Last edited:
System Name Personal Rig
Processor Intel i5 3570K
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling Noctua NH-U12P Push/Pull
Memory 8GB 1600Mhz Vengeance
Video Card(s) Intel HD4000
Storage Seagate 1TB & 180GB Intel 330
Display(s) AOC I2360P
Case Enermax Vostok
Audio Device(s) Onboard realtek
Power Supply Corsair TX650
Mouse Microsoft OEM 2.0
Keyboard Logitech Internet Pro White
Software Legal ;)
Benchmark Scores Very big
such a shitshow. I was honestly expecting that even cheap a320 board would have some zen2 support.
well...

System Name My PC
Processor 4670K@4.4GHz
Motherboard Gryphon Z87
Cooling CM 212
Memory 2x8GB+2x4GB @2400GHz
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS Black Edition 1425MHz OC+, 8GB
Storage Intel 530 SSD 480GB + Intel 510 SSD 120GB + 2x500GB hdd raid 1
Display(s) HP envy 32 1440p
Case CM Mastercase 5
Audio Device(s) Sbz ZXR
Power Supply Antec 620W
Mouse G502
Keyboard G910
Software Win 10 pro
Well at least we have official reply from MSI and about leaking misinformation from some low level tech at MSI not a big deal really, life goes on.

D

Deleted member 24505

Well at least we have official reply from MSI and about leaking misinformation from some low level tech at MSI not a big deal really, life goes on.

And the tech has a MSI shaped boot print on his ass

Yosar

So long story short. TPU screwed up by not confirming from at least two sources unofficial information from reddit and breaking the news that was basically not true.
Now they won't even retreat it or correct it. Yeah, full class journalism.

Processor i7-4820K @ 4.7GHz @ 1.282-1.305v @ 30c idle/55c max w/BitsPower waterblock
Motherboard EVGA X79 DARK
Cooling EKWB D5 pump/140ml res combo, flow meter, 2x360 XSPC rads
Memory 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Dominator GT 2133MHz, QuadChannel
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 FE @ 2164MHz core/11,008MHz mem w/EKWB-FC waterblock (no backplate)
Storage 480GB OCZ REVODRIVE3 PCI-e X4 SSD, plus 3 more drives
Display(s) Samsung 40" LCD 1080p 75Hz TV
Case Corsair AIR 540
Audio Device(s) MB audio
Power Supply EVGA 750W G2 80+GOLD
Mouse Logitech M325 x2 and M525
Keyboard MadCatz ?
Software WIN 7 Ultimate, lots of games and 3D CAD programs
I was following the "How to ensure MSI doesn't screw me over with Zen3 support in 2020: 101"

I personally own an MSI 400-series motherboard and a 2700X. If MSI gets away with depriving Zen2 to 300-series, it will deprive Zen3 to 400-series. I intend to buy a Zen3 in 2020.

I concur. Keep calling out any company when they go down this road. They get away with this far too often. Both in the hardware and the software industry. They must be held accountable for their words and their actions.
Thanks.
o7

So long story short. TPU screwed up by not confirming from at least two sources unofficial information from reddit and breaking the news that was basically not true.
Now they won't even retreat it or correct it. Yeah, full class journalism.
Wrong. You joined TPU just to troll?

System Name Strix-13700K
Processor Intel i7-13700K
Motherboard Asus Strix-A D4
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite LCD
Memory Thermaltake ToughRam 4 x 8GB DDR4 3600
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX 3080 12GB
Storage Western digital Black SN850 1TB - PCIe Gen 4 M.2-2 and Western Digital Blue 1TB SN750 PCIe Gen 3
Display(s) MSI Optix MPG341CQR Ulta-wide 3440x1440p 144Hz and a Samsung 50 inch TV 4K TV
Case NZXT H7 Flow
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G5 1000w Gold
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro Mouse
Keyboard Corsair STRAFE MK2 RGB
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 = 31270 Multicore test
Yup, I read it and agree with it. Here's the flaw. @btarunr was actively trying to highlight the potential reason for limiting support to older motherboards, greed. We know damn well it will not be for incompatibility because AMD deliberately and specifically engineered their CPU's and Chipsets to be compatible for a certain number of generations. So any motherboard maker who does not issue updates for their motherboards would be doing it for one reason alone, to sell more motherboards, IE GREED. Such behavior is not in line with the specifcations AMD laid out for motherboard makers to follow.

Btarunr was absolutely correct for both reporting the problem and for the wording used to call out MSI on a potentially serious mistake.

See above..

Seriously!!! and AMD are not greedy? Intel are not greedy? Apple are not greedy? how about Nike, ARM, Dunkin Doughnuts!!!!! you might as well label that at every company in the west. Completely lost your minds if you can defend this as anything but clickbait and downright shoddy journalism and that is being kind to shoddy journalist's

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64

Honestly, words like that have no place in Journalism.

I know, I sucked when I tried to work here, my work ethic is a mess and all and life is always playing tricks on me. But I know the rules. And you do too, bta.. try harder. This is borderline Nigerian yellow press status... which is just about as low as Journalism goes (they regularly print religiously themed things with words like "evil" and "vile" which also have no place in Journalism. "Greedy" is in the same class.)

One sucky journalist calling another out, I guess...

Seriously!!! and AMD or not greedy, Intel are not greedy, Apple are not greedy, how about Nike, ARM, Dunkin Doughnuts!!!!! you might as well label that at every company in the west.
There is a big difference between wanting to make a profit and being greedy in a inappropriate way. Making and selling a great product is one thing. Deliberately sabotaging one set of products to sell more of another set of products is shady, dishonest and in some places unlawful. That's the difference. Let it sink in..

Honestly, words like that have no place in Journalism.
That is your opinion, and you're welcome to it...
This is borderline Nigerian yellow press status...
But that is brow beating. Come on man, you're better than that.

Processor AMD 1700X
Motherboard Crosshair VI Hero
Memory F4-3200C14D-16GFX
Video Card(s) GTX 1070
Storage 960 Pro
Display(s) PG279Q
Case HAF X
Power Supply Silencer MK III 850
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
I am confused, are some users and the editor of this article trying to say a tier one customer service rep is an official source of future company policy or forward-looking statements? I get they are a representative of the company in the most entry-level way but wouldn't it be prudent to apply some real world experience or logic and ask a marketing or press relations rep for clarification of the rumored statement by a tier one customer rep? Or is doing diligence dead?

Processor Intel 7700K 5.1Ghz (Intel advised me not to OC this CPU)
Motherboard Asus Maximus IX Code
Cooling Corsair Hydro H115i Platinum
Memory 48GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 3200 Dual Channel (2x16 & 2x8)
Video Card(s) nVIDIA Titan XP (Overclocks like a champ but stock performance is enough)
Storage Intel 760p 2280 2TB
Display(s) MSI Optix MPG27CQ Black 27" 1ms 144hz
Case Thermaltake View 71
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 1000 Platinum2
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro (not recommded, I am on my second mouse with same defect)
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 1803
Benchmark Scores Yes I am Intel fanboy that is my benchmark score.
You obviously are a low level flunky, this I cannot impart this fundamental fact of operation on you with any hope of success.

Keep up with personnel attack on fellow TPU member. You obviously never held any relative position in real life to understand what is being discussed here. You are till utterly defending someone who already admitted to being guilty in this case its MSI. Besides MSI already acknowledge their mistake and provided with us updated information.

Are you confronting a TPU journalist who work hard to publish tech news and let you become part of the community. And here you are attacking another.