• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI MEG X299 CREATION

Black Haru

Staff member
From the elite family of products dubbed MEG (MSI Enthusiast Gaming) comes another cutting-edge board with unique features and accessories. The MEG X299 CREATION is yet another board that promises to go above and beyond, so I took the review and turned it to 11.

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Liquid 2022
Processor Intel i7-12700k
Motherboard Asus Strix Z690-A GAMING WIFI D4
Cooling Custom loop with 9x120mm radiator area
Memory Team 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4@4133 C18-18-18
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce RTX 2080ti on nickel Heatkiller IV block with Aluminum backplate
Storage 10TB SSD: Samsung 970 PRO 512GB (OS), Samsung 980 PRO 2TB, ADATA SX8200 PRO 2TB/500GB, 4TB/1TB MX500
Display(s) Dell S2716DG 27" 1440p G-SYNC, Samsung Odyssey
Case Phanteks ENTHOO 719 (grey)
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5, Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Power Supply Cooler Master V1200, custom sleeved white cables
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux RGB
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (maybe 11 soon?)
Did you rip off the knob after you turned it to 11?

Space Lynx

Astronaut
waste of money since pci 4.0 is literally less than 5 months out. and samsung pci 4.0 NVME prob soon after.

System Name Proper
Processor 5900X + OC
Motherboard GB X570s Elite AX
Cooling WC Heatkiller 3.0 LT
Memory G.Skill 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 3070 Ti Trinity LC'ed + OC
Storage KC2500 1TB + A2000 1TB
Display(s) GB M32Q
Case Fractal Define R6 USB C
Audio Device(s) Creative AE-7 + Phonic AM120
Power Supply Seasonic Prime PX-850
Mouse Log G502 X LS
Keyboard Keychron K5 Opt.brown
Bez tytułu.png

A country of Vast Meadows and Picturesque Forests
System Name SUPPRESSOR Mk IV
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @undervolt
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair VII Hero (X470)
Cooling EK CoolStream PE360 @front w/ 3x NB B12-P; Eisblock XPX; Eisbecher D5 250; Eispumpe VPP755;
Memory G.Skill Trident Z LGBT (B-die) 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3000MHz CL14 @4133 CL19 (F4-3000C14D-32GTZR)
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6800 XT @undervolt w/ EK-Quantum Vector N+; +EK CoolStream PE360 @top
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 x2; +FreeNAS in Node 304 w/ 4x6TB Seagate IronWolf 3.5" HDD
Display(s) NEC PA241W @1200p; Dell U2412M @1200p; Dell U2413 @1200p; LG 65SJ950V @2160p
Case Fractal Define 7 Black /w Dark TG; +2x Be Quiet Shadow Wings 120mm at bottom
Audio Device(s) Yamaha AG06; UR28M; SB X-Fi Elite Pro; Yamaha HS7; Sennheiser HD 650; HyperX Cloud; AKG C214
Power Supply XFX XTS2 1000W (P1-1000-XTS2) (Seasonic PD platform)
Mouse Zowie EC1-A; +Akasa Mouse Pad TXL 1000x500mm
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro (Red Cherry MX)
Software Windows 10 Pro; / AMD Radeon 23.11.1
For US$599.99 it has no backplate.

Same with anything else ... that big heavy plate is a nice heat sink.

Black Haru

Staff member
Same with anything else ... that big heavy plate is a nice heat sink.

I'm not seeing it. On the back of a motherboard there are very few components a backplate could interface with in a thermally meaningful way. These few include:

The VRM heat sink (via the mounting screws) - this is the most realistic, but using mounting screws to sink heat through the board is increadibly inefficient. You would be far better served by improving the VRM heat sink design.

The Chipset heat sink - the exact same as the VRM above, with the addition that the chipset really doesn't produce much heat anyway.

The back of the CPU socket - this is the most interesting possibility, but is pretty much infeasible. Because manufacturers have to account for a vast array of coolers and cooler mounting solutions, any backplate would really need to leave this area open.
Additionally, CPU socket hardware is produced by Lotes, not the motherboard maker. I haven't actually checked, but I'm confiden't that this is a requirement to meet Intel/AMD spec standards. So your backplate has to conform with the standard Lotes socket (achievable but inefficient).
Where this one might work is on boards with built in mono-blocks, since the block mounting solution is designed in-house. It would still be a pain, and of little to no benefit.

Also, the back of a motherboard gets zero or near zero air flow in any realistic build. A backplate has a real risk of trapping heat behind the board.

Where I see this concept maybe having merit is on ITX boards. To cram in as many features as possible high end SFF boards often put controllers or even M.2 slots on the back of the board. A traditional heat sink is not an option for clearance reasons, but a backplate could be a realistic alternative.

Hm, maybe more thorough component dissection next time, VRM particularly?

Like I can make educated guess and say its 6 phases doubled, but is it? Who knows.. Definitely could use heatsink free shot.

x399 version has very nice overkill on VRM, but is x299 same or not? Yea that would be good to find out. Preferably WITHOUT buying one, which is why we have reviews.

Yea and 3x 8 pin is utterly useless. Just marketing BS.

But I agree on back plate. Thats another marketing BS. :D Has zero point, pretty much like those metal slabs on M.2 which are only good to keep heat there, not cool it.

Black Haru

Staff member
Hm, maybe more thorough component dissection next time, VRM particularly?

Like I can make educated guess and say its 6 phases doubled, but is it? Who knows.. Definitely could use heatsink free shot.

x399 version has very nice overkill on VRM, but is x299 same or not? Yea that would be good to find out. Preferably WITHOUT buying one, which is why we have reviews.

Yea and 3x 8 pin is utterly useless. Just marketing BS.

But I agree on back plate. Thats another marketing BS. :D Has zero point, pretty much like those metal slabs on M.2 which are only good to keep heat there, not cool it.

I can start posting VRM close ups if there is interest, I won't promise a full breakdown.

I'm not entirely sold on the three 8 pin connectors, but I could see it being useful for extreme overclocking. I do recomend that you use at least two if you plan any significant overclock. I wish I had the kind of cooling set up neccessary to really test this.

M.2 heat sinks do more than you might think. I would agree that they aren't a requirement, and that they can't keep up with extended heavy load. Where they really excel is absorbing the heat from short bursts of heavy load and dissipate that heat over time.

I can start posting VRM close ups if there is interest, I won't promise a full breakdown.

I'm not entirely sold on the three 8 pin connectors, but I could see it being useful for extreme overclocking. I do recomend that you use at least two if you plan any significant overclock. I wish I had the kind of cooling set up neccessary to really test this.

M.2 heat sinks do more than you might think. I would agree that they aren't a requirement, and that they can't keep up with extended heavy load. Where they really excel is absorbing the heat from short bursts of heavy load and dissipate that heat over time.

Even just pic of naked board is very good (there is literally no photo of board itself online).

3x 8 pin is pointless, one gives you 288W of max input power. Kinda doubt that 864W of input power would be something that this mobo could survive (also its not like 8 pins are only source of input power). Yea sure Intel has 28 core that asks for 700W (OCed a bit), but even ASUS mobo with 32-phase VRM seemed to have bit hard time (not mentioning hard time to cool that beast). Its just unrealistic, beside that there is no way to cool VRM at such power.

Im sure heatsinks are good in this case in absorbing heat, not so sure about actually dissipating it, given their pretty much flat surface. I dont get whats wrong with manufacturers lately. Heatsinks do require fins to actually work best. And its not like you cant make nice heatsink with fins..

Just checked pic of board from back side, doublers are visible so its 6x2 phase. Most likely similar to X299 XPower Gaming AC, that can give theoretical max around 720A, which in theory sounds really good. Practice is question. Since VRM would most likely overheat much sooner. If anything, 12 phase should be reasonably easy to cool. Still prefer their overkill X399 solution.

Considering its a MEG motherboard, I would expect a bit more (not in added stuff). Just in base design. X299 XPower Gaming AC is ofc pretty fine motherboard (well liked on HWbot from what I saw), just MSI had opportunity to do same as with X399 .. and they didnt do it.

Black Haru

Staff member
Even just pic of naked board is very good (there is literally no photo of board itself online).

3x 8 pin is pointless, one gives you 288W of max input power. Kinda doubt that 864W of input power would be something that this mobo could survive (also its not like 8 pins are only source of input power). Yea sure Intel has 28 core that asks for 700W (OCed a bit), but even ASUS mobo with 32-phase VRM seemed to have bit hard time (not mentioning hard time to cool that beast). Its just unrealistic, beside that there is no way to cool VRM at such power.

Im sure heatsinks are good in this case in absorbing heat, not so sure about actually dissipating it, given their pretty much flat surface. I dont get whats wrong with manufacturers lately. Heatsinks do require fins to actually work best. And its not like you cant make nice heatsink with fins..

Just checked pic of board from back side, doublers are visible so its 6x2 phase. Most likely similar to X299 XPower Gaming AC, that can give theoretical max around 720A, which in theory sounds really good. Practice is question. Since VRM would most likely overheat much sooner. If anything, 12 phase should be reasonably easy to cool. Still prefer their overkill X399 solution.

Considering its a MEG motherboard, I would expect a bit more (not in added stuff). Just in base design. X299 XPower Gaming AC is ofc pretty fine motherboard (well liked on HWbot from what I saw), just MSI had opportunity to do same as with X399 .. and they didnt do it.

My thinking on the three connectors (other than marketing which is definately a factor) is to spread out the load a little. These CPUs won't pull 800 W, but they can pull over 500 W. Instead of pushing two 8 pins close to their limit, you can use three.

As for solid blocks vs fins, I'm on the side of the manufacturers for the most part. A solid block is massively cheaper to produce, and while it has only a fraction of the surface area, it still does the job.

I really wish I had the means to fairly test this. Have a VRM heat sink made to similar size spec, with 4 versions: solid copper, finned copper, solid aluminium, finned aluminium.
Run them all on the same board with the same settings and see how much difference there really is.

My thinking on the three connectors (other than marketing which is definately a factor) is to spread out the load a little. These CPUs won't pull 800 W, but they can pull over 500 W. Instead of pushing two 8 pins close to their limit, you can use three.

As for solid blocks vs fins, I'm on the side of the manufacturers for the most part. A solid block is massively cheaper to produce, and while it has only a fraction of the surface area, it still does the job.

I really wish I had the means to fairly test this. Have a VRM heat sink made to similar size spec, with 4 versions: solid copper, finned copper, solid aluminium, finned aluminium.
Run them all on the same board with the same settings and see how much difference there really is.

That would be very interesting test I think.