• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI MPG Z490 Carbon EK X

Black Haru

Staff member
Developed in partnership with and distributed by EKWB, the MSI MPG Z490 Carbon EK X features a monoblock for CPU and VRM cooling. EKWB and MSI are aiming to bring back watercooled boards at an attainable price. Let's see how the MSI MPG Z490 Carbon EK X stacks up!

Show full review

System Name Bessy 6.0
Processor i7-7700K @ 4.8GHz
Motherboard MSI Z270 KRAIT Gaming
Cooling Swiftech H140-X + XSPC EX420 + Resevior
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB DDR-3200 CL14 (B-die)
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Armor OC
Storage Samsung 960 EVO 250GB x2 RAID0 + various other SATA drives
Power Supply XFX 750W Black Edition
Software Win10 Pro
"...and an excellent choice for those who want a custom water-cooled board at an excellent price."

Then in the "cons" list it says "price." :wtf:

Well for what you're getting it's a good price but relative to other boards it's expensive is what was meant. Does the Ethernet actually work on this board? My Asus z490-E refuses to work with Ethernet, running the wifi right now and have been trying various fixes.

The monoblock costs at least $140 separately and the Board around $250, so I think the price is OK. Shouldn't be on the con side at all.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member

Black Haru

Staff member
"...and an excellent choice for those who want a custom water-cooled board at an excellent price."

Then in the "cons" list it says "price." :wtf:

I was on the fence for including price as a con: US$400 is still a lot of money for a Z490 board. Since the consensus seems to be that the value is there, I will remove Price from the cons.

Well for what you're getting it's a good price but relative to other boards it's expensive is what was meant. Does the Ethernet actually work on this board? My Asus z490-E refuses to work with Ethernet, running the wifi right now and have been trying various fixes.

I used the Ethernet exclusively during testing and didn't have any issues.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
I was on the fence for including price as a con: US$400 is still a lot of money for a Z490 board. Since the consensus seems to be that the value is there, I will remove Price from the cons.
Perhaps you should leave "price" as a con and remove the part about it being an excellent price.
$400 U.S. is ridiculous, even more so when local currencies are taken into account.

Perhaps you should leave "price" as a con and remove the part about it being an excellent price.
$400 U.S. is ridiculous, even more so when local currencies are taken into account.
If you want to water cool your CPU and your VRMs, this is the price you will pay. If you buy everything yourself, you will pay more. Water Cooling was never cheap. Keep in mind, if you want this Motherboard without a CPU and VRM cooler you still pay $270, but then you will have to buy an AIO or an Aircooler as well for the CPU, so you would almost end of with the same amount. But if you want to run your PC without a cooler and just spend $270, that is your choice. Maybe you will make it to the boot screen before your CPU overheats.