• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

msi nvidia 9500 gt issues

wmburn

Hi, i have problem with this card.

It playes movies, clips without any error on windows xp, or linux (linux mint 13). I can play and 2d games (on windows and linux). But whenever i play newer 3d games my window frozes and i have to restart my computer (i can only move my mouse on screen but nothing else). This hapedns on windows and linux (hon is not working ( linux /windows), counter strike (windows), cube (linux)... i reinstalled drivers (tryed older version drivers also) same error (egzact same issue on windows and linux). i reainstalled windows (wihout dual boot same error) . tryed dosens of linuxes (suse, bodhi, mint (again), (k)ubuntu...) same issue. some older games work without problems like nox (windows and linux) , red alert 2 (windows and linux). I also installed this card on better computer than mine same issue (stuck on newer 3d games). Also sometimes gpu stuck on glxgears in linux. So i am sure it is hardware issue. And expirienced members of this forum can give me solutions (if any) how to repair this?

The card is msi 9500gt, 1gb ddr3, 128bit.
cpu: amd sempron 2800+ socket 754
hdd: maxtor 80gb 7200rpm
ram: 2x 512mb + 256mb kingston ddr1 400mhz
better comp
cpu: amd athlon x4 (3ghz) socket am2+
ram: 4gb ddr2 kingston 667mhz
hdd: 1tb seagate baracuda.
gpu: powercolor radeon 6670 1gb ddr3, 128 bit.

With respect
Stevan Kostic

temp02

That's probably an overheating problem (use GPU-Z to monitor the temps), so remove the cards cooler and replace the TIM with newer one, also clean all the dust on the fan and cooler fins before mounting the cooler again.

wmburn

gt 9500 issue

Hi. i havent changed TIM, bit i cleaned the dust and used industry lubricate (keep cpu fan, chasis fan, and gpu fan quiet) (still isues). I will change TIM and will report back.? in about a week. Thnx for helping me

wmburn

TIM changed

That's probably an overheating problem (use GPU-Z to monitor the temps), so remove the cards cooler and replace the TIM with newer one, also clean all the dust on the fan and cooler fins before mounting the cooler again.

Yes i have changed tim, i still have same issues i had before. I also monitored gpu temperature with gpuz. I tested in on game counter strike 1.6. After some time [5-10 minutes] game froze and gpuz showing temperature of 40 C. Whats my next step?

With respect
Stevan Kostic

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
Maybe time for another card. The 9500GT is getting to be quite old and you could possibly pick up a newer used card for cheap.