• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI P55-GD80 review and overclocking results

Processor Intel 6700K
Motherboard Asus Maximus VIII Impact
Cooling Noctua NH-L9x65
Memory 2 x 16 GB G.Skill TridentZ @ 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1070 Mini
Case Thermaltake Suppressor F1
Power Supply SilverStone 600w SFX
I’d like to thank MSI for giving me the chance to test this motherboard.

The Board

When designing this board, MSI seems to have thought of everything. It has all the advanced options and components essential to extreme overclockers, but incorporates several features that make achieving a respectable performance increase easy for the absolute beginner, which I’ll discuss later.

The packaging for the P55-GD80 is not surprising. The box is nearly identical to that of several MSI boards I’ve received in the past.

Inside we find an almost overwhelming selection of accessories: User Manual, OC Genie guide, Quick Installation guide, HDD Backup guide, poster-size quick guide, Winki guide, driver disc, 3x SLI bridges, 1x Crossfire bridge, drive cables (SATA, e-SATA, PATA), IO Shield, 4x voltage read point connectors, and every quick connector you could want.

The board has an attractive blue/black color scheme, and a nice clean layout. Everything is labeled for easy identification so there’s no guessing or manual referencing needed. The socket area may be a little more difficult to insulate for subzero cooling, but nothing too hard to handle. I would list all of the cool board features, but I’ll let the pictures speak for themselves.

Here we see the heatpipe layout for the board is purely cosmetic. Where some manufacturers have left an empty space where the northbridge used to be, or used the space for other components (Asus has moved the first PCI-E 2.0 slot up), MSI has chosen to keep the traditional look. While I always prefer function over form, I can’t argue with the fact that it does, in fact, look nice.

On this corner of the board, we see a few standard features, as well as some new ones. While built in power, reset, and clear cmos buttons are becoming more and more common standard options these days, especially on high end boards, MSI has taken it a step further. The ‘buttons’ have been replaced with MSI’s Easy Button 2 feature, which consists of touch-sensitive keys for easier operation. Initially, I wasn’t expecting to be very impressed with this feature, but it has actually been very useful. Honestly though, it’s one of those things you have to experience to fully appreciate. It’s more fun than necessary, but I now wish every motherboard came with this feature. The only downside is these buttons are much easier to touch accidentally. The only switch MSI did not incorporate into the Easy Button 2 panel is the clear cmos button, for obvious reasons. In fact, they’ve made that button slightly harder to accidentally press by slightly recessing it into the button housing.

This corner also features the OC Genie button, which activates MSI’s OC Genie auto-overclocking function. Also, to be used either in combination with OC Genie or independently, are the Direct OC buttons, which allow bclk adjustment up or down (hence, the – and + buttons), eliminating the need for overclocking software such as setfsb. I’ll discuss both of these features more later on.

There is also a debug LED, something that is essential to casual and extreme overclocking alike, and a feature I’d also like to see included on all motherboards. For those that don’t know, this provides codes for easy troubleshooting.

MSI has also been kind enough to include voltage read points for CPU, VTT, DDR, and PCH, so no soldering is needed to find these exact voltages. Four connectors are included for usage with meter probes. To the left of this panel we have the V Switch, which allows a higher maximum for each corresponding voltage value. I’ll list each of the resulting maximum voltages when I discuss the BIOS settings. They read points work great, but the location makes them a little difficult to access depending on how the 24-pin connector is routed from the power supply. As you’ll see in some photos below mine comes from directly beneath the board, and right over the v-check points.

Here are photos of the testing setup used for this review.

The BIOS

The P55-GD80 features all of the standard BIOS options you’d expect. The Standard CMOS Features, Advanced BIOS Features, Integrated Peripherals, Power Management, H/W Monitor (or PC Health), and BIOS Settings Password sections are all as you’d expect. There’s also a Green Power section to control power saving features.

The Cell Menu is where the magic happens. Here we find the options to control every aspect of our overclocking experience. The different settings can be seen in the photos below. Voltage adjustment values are as follows:

CPU Voltage: 0.9v – 2.1v, 2.2v max w/ v-switch, Auto = 1.225v
CPU VTT: 0.482v – 2.092v, 2.292v max w/ v-switch, Auto = 1.126v
CPU PLL: 0.2v – 2.4v, 2.4v max w/ v-switch, Auto = 1.8v
DRAM: 0.93v – 2.43v, 2.63v max w/ v-switch, Auto = 1.53v
DDR VREF (all values): 0.45v – 1.15v, Auto = 0.75v
PCH: 0.464v – 1.964v, Auto = 1.064v

MSI’s M-Flash feature allows easy BIOS backup and flashing. I’ve used this on other MSI motherboards, and say that BIOS flashing doesn’t get much easier than this. All you do is insert a flash drive with your new BIOS, enter the M-Flash utility, tell it to flash the BIOS, and the rest is done for you. In a matter of seconds, the new BIOS is flashed, the computer is restarted, and you’re finished.

Testing

The testing platform consisted of the following:
Core i5 750 es
MSI P55-GD80
2x2gb G.Skill Ripjaws PC16000 9-9-9-24
MSI GTX275 Lightning
Corsair HX620
WD Raptor 36gb
Thermalright Ultra-120 original
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

First, I’d like to discuss MSI’s OC Genie feature. I’ve seen lots of reviews stating that it only works so-so. I think it actually works great for it’s intended purpose. OC Genie is not meant for the extreme overclocker. In fact, it’s meant to be useful to novice and beginning overclockers. Nor is it meant to be used for 24/7 overclock settings. In the OC Genie manual, MSI says to enable the OC Genie, then use those values for a starting point. The following screenshot is of an overclock provided by the OC Genie. Though the voltage values are very high for these settings (1.408 vcore, 1.407 VTT, 1.75v DDR), changing the CPU multi to 20 and raising bclk to 200 would give a nice, stable 4ghz CPU clock.

Overclocking on this board was smooth as silk. Overclocking to over 4.3ghz while keeping the memory fast was effortless. I would say just about anyone could duplicate this with adequate cooling and decent DDR3.

The highest bclk I was able to obtain on air was 216, no matter what I tried. Hopefully it’ll go much higher when I do liquid nitrogen testing.

Memory overclocking is a dream on the P55 platform, as shown in the following screenshots. In both, the memory was at stock voltage. I was able to get a few MHz higher on this board (at the same timings and voltage) as on two other boards I’ve tested on. The Everest test was easy, the Super Pi 32m run took some work (though minimal) to pull off.

And from the limited LN2 testing I've done with the board so far...

Testing with Core i7 860 is on the way...

[Ion]

WCG Team Assistant
System Name Niedersachsen / Ribe / Minsk
Processor i3 3240 / i7-3520M / 4x Opteron 6376 @ 2.86GHz
Motherboard BIOSTAR H61M / HP Q77 / Supermicro H8QG7
Cooling Stock / Stock / 4x 1U G34
Memory 1x8GB / 2x4GB / 4x4GB
Video Card(s) GTX260 / Intel HD 4000 / nVidia GT310
Storage 80GB Intel SSD / 256GB Intel SSD / 2x 60GB SSD (RAID1)
Display(s) Dell 3007 + HP 2245w / 12.1" 1366x768 / None
Case Antec NSK3480 / HP / Supermicro 1U
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Enermax 500W / HP 130W / Supermicro Gold 1400W
Keyboard IBM Model M
Software Windows 7 (Niedersachsen/Ribe) / Linux Mint 17.2 (Minsk)
Awesome review, thanks!
What were the temperatures on the motherboard during overclocking?

System Name The Lizard v2.4
Processor Intel Celeron G1840 (for the time being
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H81-S2PH
Cooling Intel Stock Fan
Memory 16GB Kingston HyperX 1600
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming GTX 750Ti (For the time being)
Storage 500GB Samsung F1, 160GB Maxtor "Older than god"
Display(s) AOC 28' LCD
Case Coolermaster N200
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Antec VP500P
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores No crashes in the last 24 minutes.
231 bclk... :eek:

System Name Is rly gud
Processor Intel Core i5 11600kf
Motherboard Asus Prime Z590-V ATX
Memory (48GB total) 16GB (2x8GB) Crucial Ballistix Sport 3000MHZ and G. Skill Ripjaws 32GB 3200MHZ (2x16GB)
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3060 12GB
Storage 1TB MSI Spatium M370 NVMe M.2 SSD
Display(s) 32" Viewsonic 4k, 34" Samsung 3440x1440, XP Pen Creative Pro 13.3
Power Supply EVGA 600 80+ Gold
VR HMD Meta Quest Pro, Tundra Trackers
Software Windows 10
MSI's 1156 and 1366 mobo's are very aesthetically pleasing, in my opinion. I've never heard about any problems with them either.

1933 Poker

System Name EXPENSIVE RELATIVE (ROADRUNNER) 0001
Processor Core2 @ 6.25Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5 CrossFireX
Cooling Zalman CNPS 9700 Blue LED / Zalman VF830 GPU
Memory 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR2 1066MHz 5-5-5~18
Video Card(s) ATI HD4870 + Nvidia 9800GTX+ PhysX
Storage 80GB Seagate, 500GB GAMER
Display(s) 22" LG W2252TQ + 15" Viewsonic VG510S
Case Goldfield
Audio Device(s) HD Audio 100%
Power Supply 750Watts PC Power & Cooling Blue Quad OCZ Manu
Software Windows 7 Ultimate Build 7100 x64
Benchmark Scores Superclocked an E7300 on a P43 at 4.15GHz. Booted at 6.25Ghz.
Impressive review man. Love that beautiful board of yours, very suave.