• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI Radeon R9 290(X) gaming/lightning card club

Well, I gave 13.12 a shot and this morning, the same screen flicker/tear happened.

I don't think it's the PSU. It's a Seasonix X650 Gold and the fact that I'm not even stressing the GPU or anything and it'll still flicker. It could happen while web browsing or just navigating file explorer. My motherboard is a MSI Z87 G45 and I used to remember there being some flickering too when I was just using integrated graphics. Could the motherboard be the cause?

I doubt that the motherboard iGFX have any influence on the discrete Graphics.
In the case of recurring phenomenon while using both integrated graphics and discrete graphics, wouldn't it be easier to single out common components? try the card in a different system to see if the flicker occurs, or maybe try a different monitor to see if the flicker is still there.

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
I must chime in and say if your running the cpu'onboard igpu DON'T. .. shut it of and make sure it dont show up in the control panel under display. Shut it down and disable that shit.. if it still wants to install the intel vga driver power down and clear the cmos and reflash the motherboard bios.. trust me that cpu vga is a royal pain in the ass to stop and the above mentioned will fix it guarantee that.

I needed to use my cpus vga and got it working when I sold my cards and when I got my new card weird shit went on and even with a fresh windows install the problem remained.. re flash the motherboard bios and I bet it all runs well like it should.
good luck man

System Name MyComputer
Processor i7-4770K
Motherboard MSI Z87-G45 Gaming
Cooling Swiftech H220
Memory G. Skill RipJaws X
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290 DD
Storage Samsung 840 Pro
Power Supply Seasonic X-650
Well I was trying to see if there's anything in the BIOS that can disable it and I don't think there is. Under display adapters in device manager, it only has AMD Radeon 200 series.

I was also looking around in Catalyst settings and saw some settings related to GPU Scaling and DVI settings. Enable GPU scaling is unchecked, but in DVI settings, alternate DVI operational mode is checked. Are there anything in there I should turn on/off?

Well I was trying to see if there's anything in the BIOS that can disable it and I don't think there is. Under display adapters in device manager, it only has AMD Radeon 200 series.

I was also looking around in Catalyst settings and saw some settings related to GPU Scaling and DVI settings. Enable GPU scaling is unchecked, but in DVI settings, alternate DVI operational mode is checked. Are there anything in there I should turn on/off?

Can you, maybe start by giving everyone a basic idea of what your PC is? we have literally NOTHING to go on, but you do expect a solution.
For example, you now talk about DVI scaling, but how is your monitor connected to your PC, what kind of monitor do you have? If it isn't even DVI we're on a wild goosechase.

With regard to integrated graphics, it is disabled when graphics mode is selected as PEG (PCI Express) instead of IGP (Integrated Graphics Processor.)

in the BIOS, go to Settings > Advanced > Integrated Graphics Configuration and set "Initiate Graphic Adapter" to PEG.

I would personally try the process of elimination to see where the error originates.

Last edited:

manofthem

WCG-TPU Team All-Star!
Processor 3900X @ 4.0
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E
Cooling DeepCool Castle 360EX
Memory G Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600
Video Card(s) RX 5700 XT Pulse
Storage Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB
Display(s) LG 34UC88
Case Thermaltake P3
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III 750w
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard G Skill KM570 MX Silver
Software Windows 10 Pro
My motherboard is a MSI Z87 G45 and I used to remember there being some flickering too when I was just using integrated graphics. Could the motherboard be the cause?

Don't mean to jump into ya'll's conversation, but I'm using that same motherboard, without any flicker as you describe. Then again, my 290 is reference ;)

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
Don't mean to jump into ya'll's conversation, but I'm using that same motherboard, without any flicker as you describe. Then again, my 290 is reference ;)
And u use an intel cpu so mabey you can guide the man as its right in front of ya on whats what. Thats why I have a hard time switching mobos from one company to another just for the fact i know what is what in asus.

Glad to see ya buddie. Hope things are
well. Im off towards erockers home
town in the morning so ill be testing and
will start setting up the first post with links and helpfull info on thursday. And dennis better hide cus like they say FOUR haha. Have a good one guys and hope buddie gets it working so he can start playing his games with some great msi poWa! ;)

System Name MyComputer
Processor i7-4770K
Cooling Swiftech H220
Storage Samsung 840 Pro
My bad. Graphics settings in BIOS set to PEG. PC specs are:
4770K @ stock clock for now
MSI Z87 G45 gaming
MSI R9 290 4G connected via DVI-D single link to Asus PA248Q 1920x1200
8GB G. skill RipJaw X
Seasonic X650
W8.1 Pro x64
Catalyst 13.12 atm

Last edited:
My bad. Graphics settings in BIOS set to PEG. PC specs are:
4770K @ stock clock for now
MSI Z87 G45 gaming
MSI R9 290 4G connected via DVI-D single link to Asus PA248Q 1920x1200
8GB G. skill RipJaw X
Seasonic X650
W8.1 Pro x64

Don't hang this on me because I'm an MSI man, but the first search result on Google when I type Asus PA248Q flicker:

http://slickdeals.net/f/6098316-24-...bate-free-shipping-back-amazon-matched?page=3

LikeG6
I bought two of these during last sale.

Please note: DO NOT GET THIS MONITOR if you are using DVI port.

This monitor is known to have flickering/turning black issues with DVI port.

Google Asus PA248Q flickering problem and you will find tons of information.

I'd stay away from ASUS monitors.

Switch inputs to see if the problem persists (DP/HDMI), switch monitors to see if the problem persists.
If the problem is in the DVI port, learn a lesson and get a real brand monitor. :p

Last edited:
System Name MyComputer
Processor i7-4770K
Cooling Swiftech H220
Storage Samsung 840 Pro
Don't hang this on me because I'm an MSI man, but the first search result on Google when I type Asus PA248Q flicker:

http://slickdeals.net/f/6098316-24-...bate-free-shipping-back-amazon-matched?page=3

Switch inputs to see if the problem persists (DP/HDMI), switch monitors to see if the problem persists.
If the problem is in the DVI port, learn a lesson and get a real brand monitor.

Thanks a lot. That would explain why I had a similar problem when I was using integrated graphics while waiting for a real GPU. I also have a laptop connected via HDMI to this monitor and that one has been working flawlessly with no flicker.

I still really like the monitor, especially the USB 3.0 hub. I'll try connecting via the Displayport and see if the DVI is truly the problem.

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
Thanks a lot. That would explain why I had a similar problem when I was using integrated graphics while waiting for a real GPU. I also have a laptop connected via HDMI to this monitor and that one has been working flawlessly with no flicker.

I still really like the monitor, especially the USB 3.0 hub. I'll try connecting via the Displayport and see if the DVI is truly the problem.
neilz knows his shit. Im sure if you just replace the monitor everything isbgoing to be good. Fill in your system spec's too as ppl look and it saves alot of extra typing and welcome to tpu! Dont forget to post your benches and idle ammnd load temps on the card as well as how it overclocks. ;)

Last edited:
my temps btw: 36 degrees @20% fan speed idle.

edit:pics

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
Picture? Or something in the testing stage? And why have the power limit maxed out for stock clocks?

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Could be memory on gpu or even monitor itself

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
View attachment 55485

So whats different from this to the gaming cooler?

and i love gifts from the thermal team as well hmmm . Looks sweet. Larger fans?

edit: you did post it i think its on page one but you said it wouldnt work. And whats with the left over screws on the top left of the picture hmm lol?

it that what was rattling around in my gpu boxes? just kidding.

hey would an asus xonar stx pick up electrical noise from my bottom card that sits about 2mm above the sound card in certian games?

ill see if i have a picture and add it .

Edit:

erent from this to the gamingpost: 3081362 said:
Was just playing with it, no worries :p

Pretty sure I posted it youbefore, a gift from the thermal team:

Attachments

• 20140314_013744-2.jpg
    20140314_013744-2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 418
Last edited:

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
Buddie was saying after all the yap yap
Could be memory on gpu or even monitor itself
That it was doing black screen and tearing when just using the cpu's igpu on its own. Neliz showed him his monitor from asus is an on going thing with that modle he has. I guess if it was doing it with the igpu its definatly not the card but monitor or cable. Hopfully the guy comes back with some good news.

System Name MyComputer
Processor i7-4770K
Cooling Swiftech H220
Storage Samsung 840 Pro
Well I've been using the DisplayPort for the past 2 hours or so and so far I haven't gotten any flickering. Even played BF4 for a while. Seems as though it was the DVI port. Definitely makes sense now come to think of it. When I was using integrated graphics through DVI, I had a very similar issue. The issue persisted even with new GPU, but now on DP I think it's gone.

On a side note, do all MSI R9 290 Gaming cards come with BF4? I know newegg has vouchers for them, but I got mine through amazon.

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
Well I've been using the DisplayPort for the past 2 hours or so and so far I haven't gotten any flickering. Even played BF4 for a while. Seems as though it was the DVI port. Definitely makes sense now come to think of it. When I was using integrated graphics through DVI, I had a very similar issue. The issue persisted even with new GPU, but now on DP I think it's gone.

On a side note, do all MSI R9 290 Gaming cards come with BF4? I know newegg has vouchers for them, but I got mine through amazon.
Awsome jumpman, so happy you got it fixed :)
I wish about bf4. I didn't get a single game from my vendor and when I bought a HIS 290 card from a well known canadian company I even asked and they said nope.... so i tested the card annd after looking at it sag at the rear i sold it locally and bought the msi ones. Even my local vendor that ordered me a pair of these msi gaming cards didnt even give me anything but a huge bill lol. But last year when I bought 2 7970 msi cards I got 4 free games and gave one away to a lad here because a buddy didnt have it and I never even got a thanks for it.

But sadly I think its up to amd tbh but who the hell knows.

So whats the asic on your card?

Last edited:
System Name MyComputer
Processor i7-4770K
Cooling Swiftech H220
Storage Samsung 840 Pro
78.5 is that good? I've read that it doesn't really mean much, but I have no idea.

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
Yeah mine I believe is exactly the same and the other is higher too. Generally from what ppl say higher is less volts but wont clock as high unless its a real cool night out. I think you have a card that at 5O% power play and anywhere from 100mv to 150 will give you 1200 core and 1400 memory. Id just clock up the core and set the volts in msi afterburner to the max of 100mv and powerplat full at 50% and giver. The cooler is well designed so dont worry to mich about temperature but do keep an eye on it. Who knows it could be an awsome clocking card but use that as a base. If you hit around 1200 @ 100mv your doing well. If it black screens on ya either remove msi ab and installthe latest sapphire trixx as its mv goes upto 200mv ccompared to a max of 100 that msi gives. Your just using one card correct? Then like I said heat wont be an issue. If you want to install the little msi app off your cd go for it. Its actually a nice app and does improve scores and framrates a decent amount. These cards clock weird so remember more core clock less memory clock and vice versa.. just play with it to find its equilibrium then its all golden from there.

Thursday im going to be updating the #1 post with all sort of links and info on these cards so hang out and share your findings so we can get a bit of a data base going.

Later man its been a long day have fun and ttul. ;)

System Name MyComputer
Processor i7-4770K
Cooling Swiftech H220
Storage Samsung 840 Pro
A different problem occurred today starting with a BSOD and windows giving me the error code 0xa00001. I googled the code and it seems to have something to do with the AMD drivers. Now everytime I boot up I get weird lines on my screen

and once it boots to desktop, the screen is really wonky. I don't get to see the entire 1920x1200. Only the upper left corner of that will show up on the display. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling amd drivers and reflashing BIOS, but the lines remain.

System Name :)
Processor Intel 13700k
Motherboard Gigabyte z790 UD AC
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 64GB GSKILL DDR5
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC
Storage 960GB Optane 905P U.2 SSD + 4TB PCIe4 U.2 SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW 175Hz QD-OLED + Nixeus 27" IPS 1440p 144Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) MOTU M4 - JBL 305P MKII w/2x JL Audio 10 Sealed --- X-Fi Titanium HD - Presonus Eris E5 - JBL 4412
Power Supply Silverstone 1000W
Mouse Roccat Kain 122 AIMO
Keyboard KBD67 Lite / Mammoth75
VR HMD Reverb G2 V2
Software Win 11 Pro
That doesn't look good.

System Name MyComputer
Processor i7-4770K
Cooling Swiftech H220
Storage Samsung 840 Pro
So I switched to the integrated graphics and during POST there are no lines and everything is normal. Did the card just give out?