1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI Radeon RX Vega 56 8G

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by Vaporator, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Vaporator New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi Guys.
    i just ordered this MSI Radeon RX Vega 56 Radeon RX Vega 56 8G
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...adeon_RX_Vega_56_Black-_-14-137-228-_-Product
    I am little in doubt if it is possible to Bios mod this card with a 64 Bios ?
    Because if i look in the video bios collection, i don't see an 64 bios for MSI.
    I just want to be sure it possible before i brick it!
    And is there any there know a guide for The optimal clocking settings / Volting this card ?
    Thanks in advance.

2. eidairaman1

eidairaman1 The Exiled Airman

Thanks Received:
    Maybe @buildzoid, @infrared, @MrGenius can guide you.

Honestly why break a perfectly working card?
    Just wait for msi afterburner to support VEGA or learn how to modify the bios already on the card with proper instruction.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. MrGenius

MrGenius

Thanks Received:
    It's definitely possible to flash a 64 BIOS to a 56. The rumor is you might be able to unlock any or all of the additional CUs between 56 and 64 by doing so. Or none. But that's not the only reason you might want to run a 64 BIOS on your 56. The 56 has a memory voltage limitation that 64 doesn't. So running the 56 BIOS can limit your HBM overclockability. You'll also get a much higher power limit with the 64 BIOS. As far as "bricking" it, it might be possible to flash a BIOS that doesn't work properly. But "bricking" it is very unlikely. Unless you're really trying to(or are a real idiot). It's got dual BIOS(called that because there's 2 separate BIOSes on the card). So you'd have to flash a non-working BIOS to both of them to "brick" the card. And the rumor is one of the BIOSes is write-protected(though you should be able to unlock it and flash it anyway if you really wanted to).

And speaking of buildzoid, you should check out the Actually Hardcore Overclocking channel on YT to watch his vids on Vega for TONS of really good info on it. Starting with this one.

EDIT: Here's your MSI RX Vega 64 BIOSes.
    https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios...X+Vega+64&interface=&memType=&memSize=&since=

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    rtwjunkie, Sasqui, infrared and 2 others say thanks.
  4. Vaporator New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi MrGenius.

First of all many thanks for the reply!
    Yes thats my point, i knew it were possible to Bios mod the cards, but since i couldent find a bios for the MSI, i got in doubt, because i werent sure if all types of 56 cards could get bios modded with succes.
    i have read and watched alot of videos about this topic, and the majority says you will ramp up the performance with 10% right away, you can even improve this performance gain even more with undervolting/overvolting etc .
    The Rx Vega 56 is just a restricted 64 card when it comes to all, so you are just unlocking the true potential!.

There is 2 bioses, how can i be sure to pick the right one?

Vaporator

5. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    The bios flash to the 64 version does not unlock cores. It allows higher power targets or clocks. Thats the 10% gain. Those unlocked cores are the 64's achilles heel and why the 56 cores are better. Less power required, therefore easier to cool etc. What the 56 requires is it's power limit increased. Not more cores.

Source of no more cores...

https://www.techpowerup.com/236831/...-with-rx-vega-64-bios-does-not-unlock-shaders

rtwjunkie and Vaporator say thanks.
  6. Vaporator New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey.
    Thanks for your reply!
    I knew that. Maybe it will be possible at a point to unlock it all, but for now, it isent happening.

Im successfully updated the bios from a 56 to a 64 vega. But damn this stock cooler is noisy as hell! The first thing i am gonna buy is a custom cooler when its available!

Went from 14.000 points to 17.400 points in 3dmark fire strike after bios mod.

Overall very nice performance for the buck .. paid 400$ for the card.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2017
    Sasqui says thanks.
  7. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Nice. They're selling it for $695 now :shadedshu:

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. Vaporator New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well not here in denmark!
    The price here is 500$. i just bought it through the company, so i save 20 % in tax

3dMark Information before and after biosmod

https://imgur.com/a/wz10s

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2017
  9. P4-630

P4-630 The Way It's Meant to be Played

Thanks Received:
    Nice that you got an higher score with the higher clocks!
    There won't be any shaders unlocked though.

But wasn't this OC doable by just using AB?

Edit: Interesting, you got a graphics score of 21.726 with your flashed BIOS
    My 1070 OC'd graphics score was 21.169

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    10 Year Member at TPU
  10. Vaporator New Member

Thanks Received:
    No a oc wouldent do it because The 56 has a memory voltage limitation that 64 doesn't. So running the 56 BIOS can limit your HBM overclockability. You'll get a much higher power limit with the 64 BIOS.

So now its stock 64, without the xtra shaders ofcoutse. You can OC it much more . I have seen results around 1900mhz core clock, stock 64 is 1600mhz.
    Hbm at 1100, stock 950. But it will suck up your power to 500 watt!!!

P4-630 says thanks.