• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3x Fans Stuck at 30% sometimes

Processor Intel Core i7 9700KF @4.4
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390M Gaming
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S / NA-FC1+Noctua and Be Quiet! Fans
Memory Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHZ
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 3060 12GB
Storage Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe
Display(s) MSI G244F + Dell P1914S
Case Be Quiet! Pure Base 500 Black
Audio Device(s) A] Onboard > Logitech Z623 B] Denon DRA-295 > JM Lab Cobalt 810
Power Supply EVGA G+ 650W with APC 1400VA UPS
Mouse Asus Strix Carry + Corsair MM300
Keyboard Ducky One 2 TKL MX Silver
Software Win 10 64Bit
I have noticed my gpu fans are doing something weird. I have used Afterburner for the last 10 years on many many cards and controlled the fan speeds perfectly fine, but this card is crazy.

I usually set a custom fan curve that makes the fans run at 30% up to 50 degrees, then as the temps rise so do the fan speeds, this works fine once i set it and leave it, but if i disable the curve and try to set a constant manual fan speed it won't apply and the fans just stay at 30%. Even if i go into a benchmark and make the gpu hot the fans refuse to speed up, eventually the card will thermal throttle and start reducing the core clock.

Nothing at all works, even if i use evga precision, its as if the gpu itself is being told from its own bios/firmware to ignore all changes to fan speed from software.

Only way to make the fans normal again is to DDU remove the gpu driver, reinstall the gpu driver, then i can set the fan curve and it follows it fine, but if i disable the curve and start changing the fan speeds it completely breaks all fan control again until i reinstall the gpu driver. It happens on afterburner 4.6.2/4.6.3/evga precision.

Are 3000 series cards the problem, is something in windows 10 interfering? I did poke around in the msi dragon centre software but it had no way to change fan speeds, except for some profiles which didn't alter fan speeds, but there was an option to ramp fans to 100% which worked but no other fan control was possible, so even msi software on an msi card couldn't alter the fan speeds, somehow the card is doing what it wants instead of what it's told.

Update, so i just put on fresh gpu drivers and it did not fix the fans, the last time the fans acted weird putting on new drivers fixed it but not this time.

I ran a benchmark with afterburner closed and the fans sped up fine as the temp increased, as soon as i enabled afterburner and re run the benchmark the fans refused to speed up.

Somehow when i enable monitoring software to control the fans they just stay at 30%, but if i do not use fan control software and let the gpu do its own thing it speeds up the fans fine.

Maybe i need to stop using afterburner and just monitor the card with gpu-z... and let the gpu itself use its default fan profile.

Software Win 10 64Bit
Update 2, i reinstalled the drivers again, reinstalled afterburner, but the custom curve won't work. When custom curve enabled the fans speed up but only to 42%, i have no idea why 42% is the limit no matter if i set it to go higher it wont, i now disabled the custom curve and have it set to auto so the card sets the curve itself, which at least gets the job done.

But now i need to run idle with zero rpm, so idle temps will be higher, also in a game that isn't demanding the fans will go on > off > on > off which is kinda annoying but at least its silent when doing that.

If i get the custom curve working one day i will never touch the setting again since it totally screws up the fan control.

majek

I do have the exact same problem with MSI 3080 Gaming X Trio. The fans are sometimes stuck at 30% when in "idle". By idle I mean, not running any game - the temps are 40-50 degrees. I noticed that it happens after I wake my PC from hibernation. Not sure though. What I have to do is set fans to manual, e.g. 50% and then hit the auto mode back. I don't use custom curve. I don't want the fans to spin when not gaming. They should stay at 0 rpm until the GPU heats up.

menthix

Same problem here, with Ventus 2X 3070. Try the new afterburner 4.6.3 Beta 4. I did a clean install of it, and seems like it solved the problem.
Still takes a few minutes to go from 30% rpm to 0, but it works. Sits on constant 34-35°C for a few minutes, then stops the fans.

Kaputtentot

I still have the issue. Even with Beta 4...Can anyone help? Its annoying that the fans spin up every few minutes bc the card gets too hot...I just wanna run it at a constant 15% or so....So annoying...

KevinNash

I have only registered in this forum to give you the help that a user on reddit gave me, go to MSI Dragon Center and disable the 'Game Mode' for all the games in which you have problems (in my case warzone and codcw). I hope this helps!

mpicco

I have only registered in this forum to say I have the same issue and nothing I do seems to have fixed it.
Uninstalled MSI Afterburner, Dragon Center, even Corsair's iCUE cos I thought maybe that was fudging it up; reinstalled Afterburner, and nothing will make those fans go higher than 30.

Even tried removing the graphic driver in safe mode with DDU, reinstalling it.

The only thing that actually managed to control them for a bit was Dragon Centers "super cool" whatever thing is called that makes them 100% for 30 seconds.
But that is gone now and no control on my fans.

Software Win 10 64Bit
Nearly 10 months later and my GPU behaves the same. I have set the Power Limit to 80% and limited the Voltage to 1 volt, so the card doesn't really get hot anyway, power consumption maxes out at 176 watts.

The fans stay at 40% at idle and slightly increase as temps go up into the 60's. Overall the card is quiet enough so not being able to have full control over the fans is no big deal.

mpicco

Just came gack to comment, for me, what gave me back control was disabling the msi dragon center "zero froze" whatever bullshit and then un installed the dragon center all together. Unfortunately, that's the only way I'm aware of to control the side led strip for the card.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Just came gack to comment, for me, what gave me back control was disabling the msi dragon center "zero froze" whatever bullshit and then un installed the dragon center all together. Unfortunately, that's the only way I'm aware of to control the side led strip for the card.
Twin frozr was their trademark, go figure