• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8 GB

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Cooling AC NexXxos XT45 360, RayStorm, D5T+XSPC tank, Tygon R-3603, Bitspower
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600C8
Video Card(s) GTX 780 SLI (EVGA SC ACX + Giga GHz Ed.)
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Display(s) Achieva Shimian QH270-IPSMS (2560x1440) S-IPS
Case NZXT Switch 810
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek yawn edition
Power Supply Seasonic X-1050
Software Win8.1 Pro
Benchmark Scores 3.5 litres of Pale Ale in 18 minutes.
Actually there are very good reasons for them to choose something different than Samsung:
1. Samsung is a competitor, so why to give them money and finance their R&D not to mention that to depend on a competitor to produce your product is not very good business.
2. By manufacturing in Samsung fab you give them access to your blueprints so they can either copy, inspire or be notified in time to respond to any significant architectural change you are doing.

For the above reasons if I would be Apple I'd choose anything other than Samsung, even if it will cost me a bit more, even if the quality isn't that good.
The fact that they went to Samsung in the first place proves that they found there something they couldn't find anywhere else.
You clearly don't understand how the pure-play foundry model works. Analyzing and copying the IP logic blocks of a customers IC's would destroy Samsung's foundry business - they wouldn't retain or gain a single customer, and by the time the court system finished pounding them into dust for breaches of confidentiality, contract, and IP theft, Samsung wouldn't have a pure-play foundry business.

Actually there are very good reasons for them to choose something different than Samsung:
1. Samsung is a competitor, so why to give them money and finance their R&D not to mention that to depend on a competitor to produce your product is not very good business.
2. By manufacturing in Samsung fab you give them access to your blueprints so they can either copy, inspire or be notified in time to respond to any significant architectural change you are doing.

For the above reasons if I would be Apple I'd choose anything other than Samsung, even if it will cost me a bit more, even if the quality isn't that good.
The fact that they went to Samsung in the first place proves that they found there something they couldn't find anywhere else.
Samsung is a big-ass corporation. Their fab and their mobile unit are completely different entities.

Malabooga

cool. but what games nowadays have dx 12 and async? its just a few games. And thats why i think for the majority of actual games, the 1060 is a better deal. IMHO

The list of DX12 games is already quite long and will only get longer.

So its mostly: if youre buying GPU for yesterday choose 1060, if you buy GPU for tomorrow choose AMD.

The only valid case of "1060 being better" is if you dont have interest in new games.

The new SoC is pretty much direct shrink from old SoC which was done on 28nm TSMC. They even talk about "2 disabled CUs".

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7546/chipworks-confirms-xbox-one-soc-has-14-cus

there was even talk of 20nm, so this design might have been in existance for a long time (for 20nm then just shifted to 16nm as those are not all that different)

Last edited:

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
So its mostly: if youre buying GPU for yesterday choose 1060, if you buy GPU for tomorrow choose AMD.

That usually works out well. For Nostradamus, that is.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
He's right though. Pretty much every major PC release going forward is going to have a DX12/Vulkan mode from the get go or have it patched in afterwards.

Mostly I'm laughing at the "long list". Also, prepare to be surprised, DX12 adoption is not going quickly, nor will it be wholesale adopted by game studios.

As for games having DX12 backwards shoehorned onto existing games, well let's say those results leave alot to be desired.

Mostly I'm laughing at the "long list". Also, prepare to be surprised, DX12 adoption is not going quickly, nor will it be wholesale adopted by game studios.

As for games having DX12 backwards shoehorned onto existing games, well let's say those results leave alot to be desired.

DX12 or Vulkan adoption by the big studios is/is going to be universal as it gives performance advantages across the board. As we're (or at least I was) talking about the benchmarks of a suite of big PC titles developed by said AAA developers (used for all benchmarks of nearly every major site), them adopting low-level apis quickly is more relevant than whether every other small or indie game studios adopts them wholesale too. In any case by and large the games made by smaller and more indie studios tend to have graphics engines that run in 100+fps in DX11 so they are mostly irrelevant when judging performance anyway. It doesn't change the value proposition between an AMD and Nvidia card if Truck Simulator 4000 runs at 180fps in DX11 on a 1060 versus 168fps in DX11 on a 480.

What is going to change perceptions going forward is DX12 performance of the likes of Battlefield 1, Deus Ex or Civilization VI. These are the big games that are going to be benched and what people are going to draw conclusions from.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
DX12 or Vulkan adoption by the big studios is/is going to be universal as it gives performance advantages across the board. As we're (or at least I was) talking about the benchmarks of a suite of big PC titles developed by said AAA developers (used for all benchmarks of nearly every major site), them adopting low-level apis quickly is more relevant than whether every other small or indie game studios adopts them wholesale too. In any case by and large the games made by smaller and more indie studios tend to have graphics engines that run in 100+fps in DX11 so they are mostly irrelevant when judging performance anyway. It doesn't change the value proposition between an AMD and Nvidia card if Truck Simulator 4000 runs at 180fps in DX11 on a 1060 versus 168fps in DX11 on a 480.

What is going to change perceptions going forward is DX12 performance of the likes of Battlefield 1, Deus Ex or Civilization VI. These are the big games that are going to be benched and what people are going to draw conclusions from.
DX 12 works better since it is low level, but as far as Implementation, it is harder to program from everything I have read. Your statement is thus only hope at this point.

Independent games en masse are a majority of the market, mostly because of actual content, so their use of DX11 and it's influence should not be discounted too swiftly.

BTW, some of those indie games you discounted as being irrelevant performance-wise are well optimized and still push PC's as hard as so thing like Crysis 3 or TW3.

It's always wise to refrain from blanket predictions such as DX12 will be everywhere when dealing in the tech world, which is the only reason I even commented. Oh, and the "quite long" list of DX12 titles already published. That really got me laughing. :laugh:

Last edited:
DX 12 works better since it is low level, but as far as Implementation, it is harder to program from everything I have read. Your statement is thus only hope at this point.

Independent games en masse are a majority of the market, mostly because of actual content, so their use of DX11 and it's influence should not be discounted too swiftly.

BTW, some of those indie games you discounted as being irrelevant performance-wise are well optimized and still push PC's as hard as so thing like Crysis 3 or TW3.

It's always wise to refrain from blanket predictions such as DX12 will be everywhere when dealing in the tech world, which is the only reason I even commented. Oh, and the "quite long" list of DX12 titles already published. That really got me laughing. :laugh:

Laugh all you want (don't know what is funny) :rolleyes:

You have a curious position on something that will advance PC gaming for everyone, trying to write DX12 adoption as merely 'hope' on my part. This hints that perhaps you have an agenda - could it be that you are willing DX12 to be slowly adopted, and thus the whole of gaming development is kept shackled, so that Nvidia maintains its performance advantage? Foolish and futile hope on your part.

Bye.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Laugh all you want (don't know what is funny) :rolleyes:

You have a curious position on something that will advance PC gaming for everyone, trying to write DX12 adoption as merely 'hope' on my part. This hints that perhaps you have an agenda - could it be that you are willing DX12 to be slowly adopted, and thus the whole of gaming development is kept shackled, so that Nvidia maintains its performance advantage? Foolish and futile hope on your part.

Bye.

Where the F*&K would you get an idea that I have an NVIDIA agenda? Do you not check signatures as well as specs (just to make sure you aren't talking out your rear)? I own green and red. I am far too old to play fanboi games that you think I might ascribe to.

I have a PC gaming agenda, and I am a realist. And yeah, there is no "long list" of DX12 titles, that is what is funny. I am a realist in the breakdown of AAA to Indie, and have observed the extremely slow adoption of DX12.

Last edited:
You clearly don't understand how the pure-play foundry model works. Analyzing and copying the IP logic blocks of a customers IC's would destroy Samsung's foundry business - they wouldn't retain or gain a single customer, and by the time the court system finished pounding them into dust for breaches of confidentiality, contract, and IP theft, Samsung wouldn't have a pure-play foundry business.

:) you might be right ... but still having a look never hurts, you don't need to blatantly copy, and imagine how hard it would be to prove that such an inspiration exists.
Industrial espionage will always exist and S is definitely struggling hard to find out what A is working on, and I'm sure A is doing the same, you just don't go unprepared in current times.
And I'm just saying that going with the schematics in their courtyard will kind of ease their job.

BTW, I don't have any sort of information, this is just pure speculation, but just can't believe someone is such a gentleman and just prints, while being turned with the back and doesn't even glance at what is being printed.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Good Card I'd say Reference boards are easier to watercool though.

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Cooling AC NexXxos XT45 360, RayStorm, D5T+XSPC tank, Tygon R-3603, Bitspower
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600C8
Video Card(s) GTX 780 SLI (EVGA SC ACX + Giga GHz Ed.)
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Display(s) Achieva Shimian QH270-IPSMS (2560x1440) S-IPS
Case NZXT Switch 810
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek yawn edition
Power Supply Seasonic X-1050
Software Win8.1 Pro
Benchmark Scores 3.5 litres of Pale Ale in 18 minutes.
:) you might be right ... but still having a look never hurts, you don't need to blatantly copy, and imagine how hard it would be to prove that such an inspiration exists.
No, it is actually quite easy to prove IP theft on a IC logic block basis. It was easy 35 years ago when NEC was found to have copied Intel's 8086/8088 and marketed them as the µPD 8086/8088, and it is even easier now where private companies routinely shave heatspreaders off chips and produce highly detailed X-Ray metrology images for anyone with $5000 to buy. Semicon giants of course have much more resources at their disposal including (obviously) the orginal logic block floorplans, transistor placement, and metal layer interconnects.

Malabooga

Where the F*&K would you get an idea that I have an NVIDIA agenda? Do you not check signatures as well as specs (just to make sure you aren't talking out your rear)? I own green and red. I am far too old to play fanboi games that you think I might ascribe to.

I have a PC gaming agenda, and I am a realist. And yeah, there is no "long list" of DX12 titles, that is what is funny. I am a realist in the breakdown of AAA to Indie, and have observed the extremely slow adoption of DX12.

sure dude, you dont even have a clue about DX12 games, DX12 adoption or anything else. The be a "realist" you first have to step into reality. Indie? You mean 8bit games that you can run on current smartphone? Thas your "leverage".

Yeah, now im laughing my socks out

Fact is that this benchmark suite is good for measuring performance of 2-3 years ago and has nothing to do with todays or tomorrows performance and is good only if youre buying GPU for games of 2-3 years ago.

He's right though. Pretty much every major PC release going forward is going to have a DX12/Vulkan mode from the get go or have it patched in afterwards.

dont bother, loudest people are those who know the least. Almost all major 2016. releases had/will have DX12/Vulkan, and thats only 2016. I guess hes one of those people that few months ago yelled DX12 is 3-4 years away lol

Last edited:

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
sure dude, you dont even have a clue about DX12 games, DX12 adoption or anythiung else. The be a "realist" you first have to step into reality. Indie? You mean 8bit games that you can run on current smartphone? Thas your "leverage".

obviously you're fuckin clueless. You're talking idiocy. You're a waste of all of our air. Go find yourself while I put you on ignore.

What's simply amazing is how little you know of the gaming industry if you think Indie = 8-bit. :shadedshu:

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
sure dude, you dont even have a clue about DX12 games, DX12 adoption or anything else. The be a "realist" you first have to step into reality. Indie? You mean 8bit games that you can run on current smartphone? Thas your "leverage".

Fact is that this benchmark suite is good for measuring performance of 2-3 years ago and has nothing to do with todays or tomorrows performance and is good only if youre buying GPU for games of 2-3 years ago.

dont bother, loudest people are those who know the least. Almost all major 2016. releases had/will have DX12/Vulkan, and thats only 2016. I guess hes one of those people that few months ago yelled DX12 is 3-4 years away lol

CoughCough900u110r7coughcough.
Go elsewhere youre not welcome for trying to start fights here.

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
Might I suggest some of you calm down to a frenzy, take a breath and possibly even re-read the guidelines, assuming you had in the first place, any further insults/attacks and free holiday passes will be issued...... thank you.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
As I have mentioned previously regarding the RX480, power consumption is a big negative tick against it's name for me.
It would be a no brainer to most people to put this card, or another brand in their cart, if it used half the power it currently does.
Hopefully AMD pulls their finger out and actually does something about it.
I'm really hoping changes like those in this article are an incentive for them.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/08/04/california_to_put_powerhungry_pcs_on_diet/

System Name Team Crimson
Processor AMD FX 8320
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3
Cooling Corsair H80i
Memory DDR3 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 480 8GB RAM
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB / Crucial MX300 275GB
Display(s) AOC 2752H 27" 1080p
Case NZXT Source 220 Windowed
Power Supply Antec Earthworks 650W
Mouse Logitech M510/ AGPTEK T-90 Zelotes
Keyboard Logitech K360/ iBUYPOWER TTC RED Switch Mechanical
Software Windows 8.1 64 Bit
As I have mentioned previously regarding the RX480, power consumption is a big negative tick against it's name for me.
It would be a no brainer to most people to put this card, or another brand in their cart, if it used half the power it currently does.
Hopefully AMD pulls their finger out and actually does something about it.
I'm really hoping changes like those in this article are an incentive for them.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/08/04/california_to_put_powerhungry_pcs_on_diet/

This whole Power Consumption issue is such a non-issue that has been pushed as a marketing point by Nvidia even though the difference is mere pennies per month.
Even the Etherium Mining community who live and die in the profit margins have chosen the RX 480 as the card of choice.
Every time I see the point brought up, I think of a parrot; "Power Consumption, the Power Consumption...caw caw rawwwk!" .

Processor E5-1680 V2
Motherboard Rampage IV black
Video Card(s) Asrock 7900 xtx
Storage 500 gb sd
Software windows 10 64 bit
Benchmark Scores 29,433 3dmark06 score
Ok, how many other performance or consumption figures are you going to selectively ignore so you can profess your deep love for the rx 480 while mocking everyone who brings up facts about it you don't like? You can have your opinions, but you're not entitled to your own facts. How about rather than being a bird brain mocking people ironically calling them parrots you actually give us your factual positive reasons for the 480 (which of course there are) and maybe actually bring up facts about the 1060 and tell us why you prefer the 480 in comparison rather than just belittle and marginalize whoever actually happens to care about power consumption. Ironically I rarely even care about power consumption myself I care about how cool the card runs, how it performs, and is it not a hair dryer; that said stick to dealing with facts and give your opinions on those rather than just being insulting and flaming others' legitimate opinions.

System Name Team Crimson
Processor AMD FX 8320
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3
Cooling Corsair H80i
Memory DDR3 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 480 8GB RAM
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB / Crucial MX300 275GB
Display(s) AOC 2752H 27" 1080p
Case NZXT Source 220 Windowed
Power Supply Antec Earthworks 650W
Mouse Logitech M510/ AGPTEK T-90 Zelotes
Keyboard Logitech K360/ iBUYPOWER TTC RED Switch Mechanical
Software Windows 8.1 64 Bit
The fact is that power consumption on all these new cards are much lower than the last generations, and that the talking point itself is contrived as a sales feature/benefit by Nvidia, which is fine.
However, what I object to is when so called tech-savvy enthusiasts embrace this nonsense as if was some sort of dealbreaker, and keep spouting it incessantly as if it was really going to impact them.
Let's be honest; is someone who can afford $750 for a video card really pinching pennies each month to pay the electric company?

BTW Tom Baker is the one and only Doctor!

Processor E5-1680 V2
Motherboard Rampage IV black
Video Card(s) Asrock 7900 xtx
Storage 500 gb sd
Software windows 10 64 bit
Benchmark Scores 29,433 3dmark06 score
Yep, long live Tom Baker! That tip of the hat aside I will say you destroy your own argument by saying "$750" card and power bill penny pinching when we are discussing a card that is barely a 1/3 as expensive as unnamed card you refer to by a 3/4 of a grand cost; So therefore you are undercutting your own argument by talking about a totally different group of consumers ( as in entry level enthusiasts versus high end enthusiasts like RX 480 users vs. highest end custom 1080 users)...And you are either intentionally or unintentionally misrepresenting the customer group we are talking about and therefore invalidating your own point.