• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI Trident X 9th (Intel Core i7-9700K + NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080)

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Processor Intel 8700K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32 GB Crucial Ballistix 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Display(s) Dell U2412M + Samsung TA350
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Samson Meteor Mic / Generic 2.1 / KRK KNS 6400 headset
Power Supply Zalman EBT-1000
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
MSI's Trident X 9th series of gaming PCs delivers uncompromising entertainment thanks to a design that offers not only high performance, but low noise levels as well, making it perfect for the living room where it will quickly become a focal point due to the RGB lighting.

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> ... nope still the same :'(
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Dear lordy, 1 year warranty on an entire pc? yeah..... that seems reliable.....

Where is the heat stats spreadsheet? This is a barbeque for sure.

I think heat is the biggest culprit. Components do not last too long when running in constant high temperature enviroments.

I think heat is the biggest culprit. Components do not last too long when running in constant high temperature enviroments.
Yes, they do.
That depends where you live. 2 years in EU (and few other places).

And honestly, what do you people do to your PCs that they fail so much?
It's just electronics like everything else.

Furthermore, all the parts (sans CPU cooler) are generic off-the-shelf models, so they can be easily replaced.
Honestly I was surprised by this. I expected that they at least made some nice custom motherboard...

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
Where is the heat stats spreadsheet? This is a barbeque for sure.
Read the conclusion heat info is located there but to save time here ya go:

The CPU cooler, while not class-leading, did fairly well because the design features five heat pipes. Not once did the CPU get anywhere near its thermal throttle point with temperatures hitting 74°C in gaming. Even heavy loads only resulted in temperatures peaking at 81°C. FPU loads didn't produce as much heat here since the CPU down-clocked to 4.3 GHz even with temperature headroom available. Noise levels with this particular cooler were not a problem either as it was quiet most of the time. That said, fan RPM tends to spike once in a while right as the CPU is put under heavy load, but will quickly correct itself. Even with that minor quibble, it can be eliminated by setting a custom fan profile in the BIOS. Noise output of the entire system maxed out at 44 dBA with intense load. Typically, gaming, Photoshop, web browsing, etc., had the system stay below 40 dBA. As for the graphics card, it stayed below 70°C in all gaming tests and could not be heard over the CPU cooler.

Last edited:
Components last fine at high temps. They break more frequently when going from cold to hot, to cold, to hot in a continuing cycle. That’s worse for them at the end of the day.

I have to be the one who also asks what you’re doing with your PC if you’re breaking them after just a year.

Hey @crazyeyesreaper I was thinking more in the GPU, forgive me for not detailing..., 70 degrees is okay, let me say unbelievably okay. My 2080 (super) gets burning hot during gaming (+80) in an fully open case. That's why I was worried.

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
Hey @crazyeyesreaper I was thinking more in the GPU, forgive me for not detailing..., 70 degrees is okay, let me say unbelievably okay. My 2080 (super) gets burning hot during gaming (+80) in an fully open case. That's why I was worried.
Yeah i hear ya, these reviews used to have a general analysis page where I would touch on these issues if they appear. However, since no one bothered to read them (least number of hits among all pages) they have been short formed and merged with the conclusion.

LippyCK

The system can be overclocked as the motherboard features a Z370 chipset and has a fully featured BIOS. The problem is that the board lacks VRM heatsinks. While it is not likely to be a massive problem with the system at stock, the use of an unlocked processor along with overclocking support means there is the possibility of issues arising. It is a shame, too, as the CPU does have some thermal headroom available. Therefore, overclocking and tweaking is easily doable. However, I would not personally feel comfortable pushing this system too hard without some form of proper cooling on the motherboard VRM and MOSFETs to counter the higher power draw.

While i agree that some heatsink on VRM would be nice, i dont think it is a too big of a deal for 9700K OC. That board has efficient 6 phase VRM which should handle 1.36V 9700K with top down cooler, specialy if you can switch orientation for 180° so it blows more over said VRM. I personaly wouldnt be woried running 5.2Ghz@1.36V if cooler can handle CPU heats.

System Name Apex Raptor: Silverback
Processor Intel i9 13900KS 6.2GHz/Allcore5.9
Motherboard z790 Apex
Cooling LT720 360mm + Phanteks T30
Memory 32GB @8000MT/s CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090
Storage 990 PRO 2TB / Firecuda 530 2TB
Display(s) Neo G8 / C1 65"
Case Antec Performance 1
Audio Device(s) DT 1990 Pro / Motu M2
Power Supply Prime Ultra Titanium 1000w
Mouse Scimitar Pro
Keyboard K95 Platinum
I've never bought a pre-built and if I ever did I doubt i would settle for anything less than 3 years warranty. 1 year is mighty suspect. It's a statement that they don't even trust their own product.

LippyCK

I've never bought a pre-built and if I ever did I doubt i would settle for anything less than 3 years warranty. 1 year is mighty suspect. It's a statement that they don't even trust their own product.
Oh, i never bought prebuilt, but i dont see a huge problem on that one. Worst part there is ram, 2666mhz cl20 is quite bad, but not huge deal. As for 1y warranty, im quite sure its because samsung ssd which is OEM part so samsung probably offers only a year on that to MSI. As for MOBO, it can run 9900k OC with anemic heatsink it normaly comes with so stock 9700k without vrm heatsink is no problem for it and since its prebuilt its not intended to be overclocked, its target are ppl that dont know a lot about pc, that said, if you overclock it anyway im quite sure you loose warranty.