• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

msi x58m pips and beeps each startup, why?

G

g30rg1e

hi, i have just assembled my system (msi x58m matx) and each bootup i hear around 6 pips followed by a slightly longer beep noise at the end then all boots up and runs fine, ive tried to view the post screen but as it goes past faster than my previous system im struggling to read if there is an issue, is this normal? does anyone elses do the same series of pips and beep? thanks for any advice its got me curious, ta georgie :)

temp02

I would say a memory issue, because you are still able to use the computer, but then again you might wanna check your motherboard user manual for beep code translation.
Also if you keep holding the TAB key (on all the boards I've seen it's TAB) the BIOS pauses, letting you read whats on screen at that moment.

System Name A work in progress...
Processor RYZEN 7 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS X570 ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling ID COOLING 360mm AIO
Memory 2x8GB OLOY WARHAWK PLATINUM DDR4 4000
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080 V2 GAMING OC
Storage Crucial P3 Plus 2TB
Display(s) GIGABYTE G27QC A
Case TECWARE VXR
Audio Device(s) SMSL Q5 PRO / PIONEER SP-BS22-LR Speakers
Power Supply EVGA G6 850W GOLD
Keyboard TECWARE PHANTOM (BROWN SWITCHES/HYPERX PUDDING KEYCAPS)
Software Windows 11
It does this based on the number of usb devices u have attached. I have counted the beeps at the startup of my X58 Eclipse SLI and the number corresponds to the number of usb devices hooked up. I think it is safe to say that your MSI board has the same feature.

G

g30rg1e

thanks for the speedy replies, i just tried plugging in additional usb devices and the pips increased and decreased when i unpluged all but the keyboard, i wander why this feature isnt detailed in my motherboard manual........ anyways thanks for the help, its put my mind at rest, top job this is still the place to get answers :)

System Name A work in progress...
Processor RYZEN 7 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS X570 ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling ID COOLING 360mm AIO
Memory 2x8GB OLOY WARHAWK PLATINUM DDR4 4000
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080 V2 GAMING OC
Storage Crucial P3 Plus 2TB
Display(s) GIGABYTE G27QC A
Case TECWARE VXR
Audio Device(s) SMSL Q5 PRO / PIONEER SP-BS22-LR Speakers
Power Supply EVGA G6 850W GOLD
Keyboard TECWARE PHANTOM (BROWN SWITCHES/HYPERX PUDDING KEYCAPS)
Software Windows 11
thanks for the speedy replies, i just tried plugging in additional usb devices and the pips increased and decreased when i unpluged all but the keyboard, i wander why this feature isnt detailed in my motherboard manual........ anyways thanks for the help, its put my mind at rest, top job this is still the place to get answers :)

Nothing in my manual either and I just happened to come across this info while trawling the net about my own board. Could not remember where though so I could give no link.