• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI Z390 Audio driver

System Name HAL
Processor Core i5 2500K
Motherboard Asus P8P67 Pro Rev3.1
Cooling stock
Memory 2x4GB Kingston 1600Mhz Blu
Video Card(s) Asus 560Ti DirectCuII TOP
Storage Kingston 120 3K SSD,WD Black WD1502FAEX
Display(s) LG 1440x900
Case Chieftec Mesh Midi
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750V2
Software w8
Hello

Really simple question , which driver do you recommend.
I have always used default windows drivers because in past the realtek drivers and audio tools were really bad imho.

I have MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC
Realtek® ALC1220P Codec

The driver page says I need to install it with some Nahmic tool from windows store.

Should I bother and mess up my system or should I stay with default windows drivers ? I mainly use it for battlefield 5.

Below driver fro MSI (damn they have shitty software compared to ASUS)
1579808837993.png

System Name HAL
Processor Core i5 2500K
Cooling stock
Display(s) LG 1440x900
Case Chieftec Mesh Midi
Audio Device(s) onboard
Software w8
In other words I should stay with windows drivers and just play Battlefield 5 ? :) I know I'm old but I really started to enjoy if things are nice an simple. What you linked doesn't seem so.
Thanks a lot for the information I needed it !

Ya, I mean I don't wanna stretch this..some people really like simple things..but still, u pay premium for that motherboard and u r not using it's features fullest @caleb

Processor i7 8700K
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-A12x25 PWM + 4xNF-A14 PWM
Memory 16 GB Adata XPG Dazzle DDR4 3000 MHz CL16
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti Gaming 8G
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus, Samsung 850 Evo
Display(s) Samsung C24FG73 144Hz 1080p
Case Fractal Design Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Steelseries Arctis 3
Power Supply Superflower Leadex II Gold 650W
Mouse Steelseries Rival 600
Keyboard Steelseries Apex 7
Software Windows 11 Pro
@caleb You shouldn't really install any of the MSI bloatware, you don't need any of it. The Realtek drivers are typically good, in 2 years of Z370 I haven't found one that affected my PC negatively. MSI tends to offer somewhat up to date audio drivers, but they're still behind. What you're seeing there is the new DCH driver format, which usually requires an app from the Store that serves as a control panel/UI. It works just fine.

If you want the latest drivers:

For example, for your case, the one that will (probably) work is 8882.1_UAD_WHQL_Nahimic_2020_0122_150328.zip, but it's up to you to test.

Again, I wouldn't bother with MSI software like LiveUpdate or "Whatever Gaming/Command Center/Smart" app. You want to overclock, you have the BIOS, or you can try Intel XTU or Throttlestop. You want to adjust fans, voltages etc., BIOS.

System Name HAL
Processor Core i5 2500K
Cooling stock
Display(s) LG 1440x900
Case Chieftec Mesh Midi
Audio Device(s) onboard
Software w8
Thanks

Question is will I benefit anything in sound quality if I install this or just gadgets to play with. What I'm intruged by is the ATMOS mod you have in your foot. Do you need licence for Atmos Headphones to be able to use it ? I really regret that they didn't keep atmos for BF V, that sounds pretty damn nice.

I hate this about MSI stuff, board works pretty well in general. I used to owe ASUS/ABit boards all the time and I never had trouble with their soft.
Here the Mystic Light is buggy as hell , they claim it works with corsair strip but it only works in default breathe mode and I cannot change anything.

Processor i7 8700K
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-A12x25 PWM + 4xNF-A14 PWM
Memory 16 GB Adata XPG Dazzle DDR4 3000 MHz CL16
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti Gaming 8G
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus, Samsung 850 Evo
Display(s) Samsung C24FG73 144Hz 1080p
Case Fractal Design Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Steelseries Arctis 3
Power Supply Superflower Leadex II Gold 650W
Mouse Steelseries Rival 600
Keyboard Steelseries Apex 7
Software Windows 11 Pro
Thanks

Question is will I benefit anything in sound quality if I install this or just gadgets to play with. What I'm intruged by is the ATMOS mod you have in your foot. Do you need licence for Atmos Headphones to be able to use it ? I really regret that they didn't keep atmos for BF V, that sounds pretty damn nice.

I hate this about MSI stuff, board works pretty well in general. I used to owe ASUS/ABit boards all the time and I never had trouble with their soft.
Here the Mystic Light is buggy as hell , they claim it works with corsair strip but it only works in default breathe mode and I cannot change anything.
There are quite a few people that pretend that each driver brings "nuance" in the sound and that they can hear differences. Considering I worked with audio production and still have studio monitors as my speakers, I find these claims quite laughable, but you should try for yourself.
Some onboard solutions are more complex than others, and drivers might change how the FX are "rendered" or change EQs etc. But the base sound will remain as it is, probably. I haven't seen any benefit from updating dozens of audio drivers, personally, it's all the same. Dolby and DTS will require licensing, yes, although you could "emulate" them I believe with HeSuVi and Equalizer APO. Windows Sonic is free. Good headphones should not really need these, but it's a personal preference.