• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING (LGA 1150)

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Man the ramparts! A dragon is approaching! It's coming to eat our pretty Haswells! Clad in black and red like its older brother, MSI's Z87-GD65 GAMING was genetically engineered out of the base DNA the Z77-GD65 GAMING used, but don't be fooled, the Z87-GD65 GAMING has a few unique abilities.

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Windows 10 64-bit Core i7 6700
Processor Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB, Seagate Baracuda 1 TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX v2 650W
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro, Cherry MX Reds
Software MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Not everyone likes dragons :D
I love it when hardware is so good that negative points get to be funny :laugh:

Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Auros Elite AX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory GSKILL 2x16gb 6000mhz Cas 30 with custom timings
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6750 XT MECH 2X 12G OC
Storage Adata SX8200 1tb with Windows, Samsung 990 Pro 2tb with games
Display(s) HP Omen 27q QHD 165hz
Case ThermalTake P3
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Titanium
Software Windows 11 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores CB23: 1811 / 19424 CB24: 1136 / 7687
Tried to look up what specifications that fnatic has because that sounded weird to me. I only found this page. I'll go out on a limb and say that their motherboard specifications are a paid sponsorship of their clan...

System Name Primary Rig
Processor e8500 Q822A549 4.5ghz AIR
Motherboard Foxconn Mars P35
Cooling TRUE
Memory 2 x2GB Patriot Viper 1066 5-5-5-12 @ 1.8v
Video Card(s) Sapphire 5870 Unlocked
Storage 300gb Velociraptor
Display(s) Dell 24" Ultrasharp
Case Coolermaster CM690
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750w Quad Silencer
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x86
Daenerys Targaryan likes dragons...

Thanks for the review Dave. Questioning the new overclocking section though. Do you not feel re-running all the tests at the maximum overclock possible on that particular board would help us decided what board is best to buy?

I understand where you are coming from doing it at a set and very attainable by all 4.6GHz for direct comparability but imagine motherboard 'A' performed really well at this 4.6GHz but was pretty much topped out and motherboard B, C, D... all went on to 5+GHz. From this new lay out it would look mobo A was the best to buy.

I guess I'm saying where has the max overclock gone?

How come the first picture of the mobo is called 'vanity.jpg'?
Do you really dislike dragons that much cadaveca?

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Thanks for the review Dave. Questioning the new overclocking section though. Do you not feel re-running all the tests at the maximum overclock possible on that particular board would help us decided what board is best to buy?

I understand where you are coming from doing it at a set and very attainable by all 4.6GHz for direct comparability but imagine motherboard 'A' performed really well at this 4.6GHz but was pretty much topped out and motherboard B, C, D... all went on to 5+GHz. From this new lay out it would look mobo A was the best to buy.

I guess I'm saying where has the max overclock gone?

It was taken away by heat affecting max clocks. Temps can change from mount to mount as well. I had tested multiple boards and chips before coming to this decision. There is no other accurate way to compare boards other than by per-clock efficiency. Memory clocking does vary from board to board, so I showed that. ;) Memory overclocking is what will affect max clocks, IMHO, for 24/7 use.

How come the first picture of the mobo is called 'vanity.jpg'?
Do you really dislike dragons that much cadaveca?

:roll:

That's what I call that shot. The same shot is there in every board review, and it saves me great time by naming files the same and using the same review template for all reviews. It also helps ensure I cover everything that is needed.

Last edited:
It was taken away by heat affecting max clocks. Temps can change from mount to mount as well. I had tested multiple boards and chips before coming to this decision. There is no other accurate way to compare boards other than by per-clock efficiency. Memory clocking does vary from board to board, so I showed that. ;) Memory overclocking is what will affect max clocks, IMHO, for 24/7 use.
--

Again, i do understand why you chose to do it that way but surely you must appreciate the importance of knowing what the maximum overclock was with each board you test?

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Again, i do understand why you chose to do it that way but surely you must appreciate the importance of knowing what the maximum overclock was with each board you test?

I do. But I can tell you, I see no difference so far. What I do see, is a difference in voltages needed for my 4.6 GHz clock. This serves the same function as "max OC". A CPU will ALWAYS require the same current to push a specific clock(until damaged). So then, it's matter of how efficient boards supply power...which power consumption testing and load voltages cover.

So, while "max OC" may show one board does better than others, the same data can be gleaned form what I already present, although you might need to think about it a bit.

I have these boards already, with more coming, so my testing is not from limited attempts.:

Also, do keep in mind that in my books, gaming boards are reviewed against gaming boards, OC against OC, mITX vs mITX.... In the coming weeks, I think this may prove to show why I do things the way that I do, but rest assured that I do test every single angle although all results may not be reported in reviews. If a board seems to overclock far better than another, I'll definitely report that. IN the end, I should be picking one "best" board form each user category.

:toast:

D

Deleted member 24505

I do. But I can tell you, I see no difference so far. What I do see, is a difference in voltages needed for my 4.6 GHz clock. This serves the same function as "max OC". A CPU will ALWAYS require the same current to push a specific clock(until damaged). So then, it's matter of how efficient boards supply power...which power consumption testing and load voltages cover.

So, while "max OC" may show one board does better than others, the same data can be gleaned form what I already present, although you might need to think about it a bit.

I have these boards already, with more coming, so my testing is not from limited attempts.:

http://img.techpowerup.org/130531/DSCF9101.jpg

Also, do keep in mind that in my books, gaming boards are reviewed against gaming boards, OC against OC, mITX vs mITX.... In the coming weeks, I think this may prove to show why I do things the way that I do, but rest assured that I do test every single angle although all results may not be reported in reviews. If a board seems to overclock far better than another, I'll definitely report that. IN the end, I should be picking one "best" board form each user category.

:toast:

That's some nice boards there. :pimp:

Also what's in the Gibson box? a Les Paul?

System Name THE CUBE 2.0
Processor Intel i5 13600k
Motherboard MSI MPG Z690 EDGE DDR4
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14PE BK 2x T30-120 Fan mod mount
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 3200 MT/s C15 32GB 2x16GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aorus 1080 Ti 11GB OC: Core 2GHz, Mem 5.7GHz
Storage WD SN770 250GB / 3x WD SN850X 2TB / Toshiba X300 4TB / 2x RAID1 Toshiba P300 3TB
Display(s) Samsung 49" Odyssey OLED G95SC 240Hz 5120 x 1440
Case "THE CUBE" Custom built, pure Red Alder wood
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT 880
Power Supply Corsair RM1000X
Mouse Logitech G700
Keyboard Logitech G910
Software Windows 11 Pro
Great review I like these new boards i can't wait till you do the m-atx reviews! I want one to go into a CL Mercury S5.

System Name Obelisc
Processor i7 3770k @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling H110
Memory 16GB(4x4) @ 2400 MHz 9-11-11-31
Video Card(s) GTX 780 Ti
Storage 850 EVO 1TB, 2x 5TB Toshiba
Case T81
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium HD
Power Supply EVGA 850 T2 80+ TITANIUM
Software Win10 64bit
Looking forward to a gb gaming board review for once to see the audio progress. I'd like to audition that with a LME49990 in vs my Titanium HD.

Processor Intel Core i9 13900KF
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Hero EVA Edition
Cooling Asus Ryujin II 360 EVA Edition
Memory 4x16GBs DDR5 6800MHz G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo Series
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 4090 AMP Extreme Airo
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro OS - 4TB Nextorage G Series Games - 8TBs WD Black Storage
Display(s) LG C2 OLED 42" 4K 120Hz HDR G-Sync enabled TV
Case Asus ROG Helios EVA Edition
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S910W - 7.1 Klipsch Dolby ATMOS Speaker Setup - Audeze Maxwell
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 1300W
Mouse Asus ROG Keris EVA Edition - Asus ROG Scabbard II EVA Edition
Keyboard Asus ROG Strix Scope EVA Edition
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey VR
Software Windows 11 Pro 64bit
Thanks for the review, really looking forward to your ROG series review as well :rockout:

This is a nice looking board, and it seems like MSI got their act togheter in terms of features, I've never owned an MSI board before, if you don't mind me asking, in your opinion how does it compare to the ROG line of boards in terms of quality and performance?

Now that NDA is lifted, do you mind sharing the price on the ROG boards also?

Once again, thanks for the awesome review :)

System Name ChaoticG8R / Lil'G8R
Processor Intel i7-970 / Intel i7-4790K
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth X58 / ASUS ROG Impact VII Z97
Cooling Swiftech H220 AIO / Cooler Master Nepton 140XL
Memory Mushkin Enh. Radioactive 3x4GB DDR3 1600 / Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB DDR3 2133
Video Card(s) 2 x EVGA GTX 680 4GB / Zotac AMP! GTX 980
Storage 240GB Crucial M500 + RAID1 2x2TB WD BlackCaviar / Raid0 3x256 GB Crucial MX100 + 2TB WD BlackCaviar
Display(s) QNIX QX2710 @ 120hz + 2x Sceptre 20"
Case Cooler Master Storm Sniper Black Edition / Thermaltake Core V1
Power Supply BFG LS1200 1250W / Corsair AX860i 860W
Mouse ROCCAT Kone XTD
Keyboard ROCCAT Ryos MK Pro
Benchmark Scores Runs daily @ 4.5Ghz; Runs stable @ 4.8Ghz; Max OC on air: 5.0Ghz
Looks like you finally got a Sabertooth :)

"To take a quote our recent news article:" I think the end of your article is missing the word "from" (or something equivalent).

smoke22

Please, focus also on loudness of audio from like before, because there are even 50% differencies in terms of loudness.
For example Realtek ALC889 is OK, but Realtek ALC898 volume is very low and in your motherboard reviews you've mentioned it's very quiet, also.
So, thank you and please don't forget to focus on this :respect:

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
This is a nice looking board, and it seems like MSI got their act togheter in terms of features, I've never owned an MSI board before, if you don't mind me asking, in your opinion how does it compare to the ROG line of boards in terms of quality and performance?

That's a tough call. Overall, MSI has really stepped up their game, using high-end VRM and having excellent memory clocking, something we'd find on ROG boards.

At the same time, I haven't put a lot of time on the ROG boards, but what I have seen is a bit more impressive, at least for memory clocking. Because of the inclusion of the iVR into the CPUs itself and the Z87 having such great functionality, boards are packed with even more extra features to help distinguish themselves on the market. Each brand seem o have a new product, and those are the boards that will cover these pages first. MSI has the gaming line-up, ASUS has the ROG Hero and the new mATX Gryphon, and Gigabyte has the Z87X-OC, a "value" OC-focus product. how these new SKUs place themselves in the market will be quite interesting.

Looks like you finally got a Sabertooth :)

"To take a quote our recent news article:" I think the end of your article is missing the word "from" (or something equivalent).

Thanks G8tor, I'll amend that right now.

Please, focus also on loudness of audio from like before, because there are even 50% differencies in terms of loudness.
For example Realtek ALC889 is OK, but Realtek ALC898 volume is very low and in your motherboard reviews you've mentioned it's very quiet, also.
So, thank you and please don't forget to focus on this :respect:

Of course. When reviewing boards, I set them up in my test bench, do some stability testing, and then I clock up the board, test stability, and game on it with guys on our TS server. If mic quality is different, or anything of that nature, I do get feedback from these guys about that. Audio is ALWAYS tested, and not just with RMAA; I actually use each board for 7 days before writing up my review.

Processor Intel Core i9 13900KF
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Hero EVA Edition
Cooling Asus Ryujin II 360 EVA Edition
Memory 4x16GBs DDR5 6800MHz G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo Series
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 4090 AMP Extreme Airo
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro OS - 4TB Nextorage G Series Games - 8TBs WD Black Storage
Display(s) LG C2 OLED 42" 4K 120Hz HDR G-Sync enabled TV
Case Asus ROG Helios EVA Edition
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S910W - 7.1 Klipsch Dolby ATMOS Speaker Setup - Audeze Maxwell
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 1300W
Mouse Asus ROG Keris EVA Edition - Asus ROG Scabbard II EVA Edition
Keyboard Asus ROG Strix Scope EVA Edition
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey VR
Software Windows 11 Pro 64bit
That's a tough call. Overall, MSI has really stepped up their game, using high-end VRM and having excellent memory clocking, something we'd find on ROG boards.

At the same time, I haven't put a lot of time on the ROG boards, but what I have seen is a bit more impressive, at least for memory clocking. Because of the inclusion of the iVR into the CPUs itself and the Z87 having such great functionality, boards are packed with even more extra features to help distinguish themselves on the market. Each brand seem o have a new product, and those are the boards that will cover these pages first. MSI has the gaming line-up, ASUS has the ROG Hero and the new mATX Gryphon, and Gigabyte has the Z87X-OC, a "value" OC-focus product. how these new SKUs place themselves in the market will be quite interesting.

Thank you very much for your reply cadaveca :toast:

I'm kinda disappointed with the OCing potential of Haswell, but from your review it would seem like this platform greatly benefits from higher memory OCing, and that's probably where most differentiation will reside when it comes to comparing Z87 boards, as most of the power circuitry resides in the CPU itself, like you pointed out, and it would seem from your experience like this board has what it takes to get some crazy memory clocks :rockout:

I've been a very loyal ROG user, but there're no boards available anywhere for some reason, you can find Asus full LGA 1150 lineup, but the ROG boards are unfortunately MIA at the moment.

I'm seriously considering this board, to build a mid range Haswell rig, but I'll wait for your other reviews before I make my decision, once more, thank you for your thorough reviews, they're greatly appreciated :)

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I've been a very loyal ROG user, but there're no boards available anywhere for some reason, you can find Asus full LGA 1150 lineup, but the ROG boards are unfortunately MIA at the moment.

Likewise.

I just received the ROG boards during this past week. That means I haven't had much time to play with them yet, as I have had boards and CPUs for several weeks now. I have multiple chips on-hand right now to test with because I need to do both board and memory reviews, and my memory testing rigs are built once and then sit in that configuration until the platform changes, while with boards I change the chip into another board every week, so I've got more than one rig testing at once. I've a lot of ground to cover here before I can devote good attention to the ROG boards... I'm also eager to get the ASRock OC Formula boards as I see that John Lam has spent some considerable time already getting the BIOSes tweaked for memory clocking this weekend.

I get my ASUS boards direct from the factory, so I understand that they might have been a bit later getting out the factory than some other boards did. ASUS has many products ready right now, so it must have been a literal logistical nightmare to get everything off the assembly line and out the door, PLUS dealing with Computex prep...and every company is doing this. The UPS guy has been at my door every day for several weeks now.:roll:

I've got other MSI products to cover, too. I'm really impressed with how each board, no matter which brand, really is more of a "platform" that just a board product...they really seem to have envisioned complete builds that users would do, and then built these products around those configurations. That means that each has a specific focus that doesn't carry over from product to product, and doing that correctly is truly a majestic feat. ;)

wot

typo?

Specifications table says "8 x SATA 6.0 Gb/s (six via Intel Z77, two via ASMedia ASM1061)"

Edit: Oh first post here :)

DOM

Processor Intel i7 4770K
Motherboard Asrock
Cooling Water
Memory Team Xtreem LV 16GB (2x8GB)
Video Card(s) EK Full WB HD7970
Display(s) CROSSOVER 27Q LED-P 27"
Case Danger Den Torture Rack
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX1200
Software W 10 Pro
Where's the OCF :p.

A very good review, thanks and well done. I love how passionate you are about the new "Dragon series" from MSI, but it's understandable since they are offer some truly great value indeed.