• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Multiplayer gaming and visual settings debate

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Processor Intel Kentsfield Q9650 @ 3.8GHz (4.2GHz highest achieved)
Motherboard ASUS P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi; X38 NSB, ICH9R SSB
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Memory Dual channel 8GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 @ 1800MHz @ 7-7-7-20 1T
Video Card(s) Quadfire: (2) Sapphire HD5970
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster T240 24" (16:10)
Case Cooler Master Stacker 830
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro PCI-E x1
Power Supply Kingwin Mach1 1200W modular
Software Windows XP Home SP3; Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Benchmark Scores 3m06: 20270 here: http://hwbot.org/user.do?userId=12313
They can have an advantage if they want. They have the game too.

I really don't feel like arguing any more, this thread is just full of whiners that care too much about other players, rather than the game itself. No offense, but thats what I'm getting from this.

Simply because you can do something does not necessarily make it right . . . take this for example - a homeless guy, dirty, unshaven, wearing rags and worn out clothing, standing in front of a convenience store asking passers-by for spare change - you can tell the guys just down on his luck, has had a hard life, and is just trying to get by. You don't place blame or guilt on him for being there, hell, some might even cough up some money for him - but, you just let him be as he's simply trying to do the best he can with what little he has . . . . But, replace that homeless guy with a clean, shaven, suit-wearing businessman, sporting the Rolex, the Bluetooth, lounging on the hood of his Porsche while asking people for spare change - it's a different story. Most people might even take offense to him for it, he appears to be doing better than most others are, but is yet still looking for freebies and handouts. Although, botyh people are doing the same exact action, the homeless guy and his pan-handling is generally "accepted" by the public, whereas the richie guy's pan-handling isn't. Do you see the point?

Based on the last statement of your own (that you quoted), the topic has gone back to our earlier statements . . . in that, if you're reducing visual settings to ensure consistent performance, because your rig can not handle maxing out a game for online play, then there's really nothing wrong with lowering settings. Performance should always come before IQ when in regard to online play . . . one can't hope to have anywhere near a decent time if your rig is struggling along at 35FPS . . .

It's the fact that, yes, everyone has the game and can reduce their visuals - just like those who can't run the game adequately . . . but, lowering one's visuals for the sake of being able to gain an advantage no longer means that you're playing it as "just a game," but have instead decided that the game/action is serious enough that you must take steps to remain competitve . . . in that sense, you're taking the game more seriously than most players.

IMHO, the attitude you've been giving off here is the same exact kind of attitude seen by a lot of "n00bs" in most MP games - those that complain that others are using "hax," or are abusing "n00bish" weapons and/or tactics, or are whining that there are too many campers/snipers, etc. etc. but are quick to call out others and tell them to "deal with it" as soon as another user points out they're doing the same thing. The same that tend to be proficient in the whining department, deficient in the skills department, and aren't willing to just get into the action and simply play the game. It's the same attitude of "well, it's alright if I decide to use n00bish tactics or weapons, or decide to camp or snipe, and anyone that complains is just whining like a n00b."

System Name TaichiTig
Processor i7 6800K
Motherboard ASRock X99 Taichi
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) RTX 4070
Storage SSD + Misc. HDDs in DrivePool
Display(s) BenQ PD3200U, Samsung C32HG70
Case Antec Twelve Hundred
Audio Device(s) Behringer UMC404HD, LSR308, Shure SRH840, AKG K612, Etymotic HF5
Power Supply Corsair 750TX
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Deck Legend Ice Tactile
Software Win10
Discussing it here isn't whining ... complaining about it in-game while playing as an excuse for getting your ass kicked would be whining. With that clarified, we should be able to resume discussing it here.

MadClown, you see no problem in tweaking visual settings to gain an advantage. We get it. Anything to add? Otherwise, I'd say your opinion has been made clear and we can move on. If you don't feel like continuing arguing, don't come back again and say "bye" and then get your last word in. :laugh: It's childish.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Being on the receiving end of this unfair advantage many a time since I started online gaming back during Call of Duty 1 days & I have to agree that is very unsportsmanlike like.

I am fully backing imperials statement about taking the game too seriously to the point where one must physically degrade/downgrade his game till he see straight through shrubs, bushes etc etc to 'get in the game' or his 'zone'

I have always played most of my MP games at full eyecandy - not just because I can, but also because I'm a guy who loves a game for its visual qualities (if it has them) as well as the gameplay, be single player or multi.

like everyone else, regarding my K/D ratio - I have good days & bad days. but its also somewhat dependent on the game im playing as there are some games that I extremely dislike (such as MW2) but i play it because my friends do it too (for 2 rounds before I decide i've had enough & call it a day)

Ive got some skills (mainly through sniping & my primary use of stealth configurations) but I still have a very modest K/D ratio but i dont really mind because I play for fun (so long as no ones spawn camping me)

System Name TheReactor / HTPC
Processor AMD 7800x3d 5050Mhz / Intel 10700kf (5.1ghz All Core)
Motherboard ASrock x670e Taichi / ROG Strix z490-e gaming
Cooling HeatKiller VI CPU/GPU Block -2xBlackIce GTX 360 Radiators - Swiftech MCP655 Pump
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz DDR5 / 32GB G.Skill 3400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3090ti / Nvidia 2080ti
Storage Crucial T700 2TB Gen 5 / Samsung Evo 2Tb
Display(s) Acer Predator xb271hu - 2560x1440 @144hz
Case Corsiar 550
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Antec Quattro 1000W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair Gaming k70
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Bye, but I would like to point out.

I thought that was a mature, well structured, decently grammatically correct, well punctuated and on topic post.

Yes you did. Problem is you came into a room full of "my point of view" moral paladins on their high horses of justice waving their swords of ethics...all the while using name calling and trying to belittle people that do not agree. It's like the Gamers Crusades in here. Next time you see a thread title like this realize that is going to be a bunch of people complaining that you do not play the game the same way for the same reasons they do. Therefore you must be burned at the stake. :laugh: :toast:

System Name i7-PC / HTPC / iMac
Processor i7 3820 / Phenom II 940
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1.ASSASSIN2 / M3A79-T Deluxe
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i / Scythe II (HS only)
Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB / GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
Display(s) 1x 27" Yamakasi / Vizio 42" HDTV
Case Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 / Antec 900
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker 7.1 / Onboard and HDMI from ATi Card
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W / 610W
Software Ubuntu / Windows 8.1 Pro / OS X / PHPStorm / Gaming
Yes you did. Problem is you came into a room full of "my point of view" moral paladins on their high horses of justice waving their swords of ethics...all the while using name calling and trying to belittle people that do not agree. It's like the Gamers Crusades in here. Next time you see a thread title like this realize that is going to be a bunch of people complaining that you do not play the game the same way for the same reasons they do. Therefore you must be burned at the stake. :laugh: :toast:

the problem was more that you were arguing about something entirely different.

changing settings to get better performance, higher framates, etc - is not wrong. no one said it was.

changing texture settings to be able to spot enemies in cover easier - even though your rig can handle the settings at high - is wrong.

that is, if it is indeed "just a game" as you guys say.

the thing is, by making those changes to improve your perceived skill, means it to you is much more serious than just a game. if it were just a game to you, you would not feel the need to gain an advantage at whatever "ethical" or "moral cost.

so when cops arrest and attorneys prosecute and judges sentence criminals who embezzled money, or flat out stole, or fixed a backdoor into software to funnel bank accounts, etc., they are just "moral paladins" waving their "high swords of justice" where do you guys draw the line on right and wrong then?

is it ok to rob an old lady at gunpoint?
is it ok to snatch an old lady's purse and run?
is it ok to make her think she one a million dollars, just send you a check of $5,000 to get started?

the analogy isn't great , but the point is where do you draw the line between taking a small advantage in a game and flat out cheating? the line has to be drawn somewhere, by someone. often it is drawn by wherever the majority sees fit. it seems the majority sees you cross that line. not to say you can't argue that, but in order to convince anyone anything different you would need to provide more of an argument than "it's just a game"

Last edited:

FreedomEclipse

Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
its definitely cheating.

System Name KOV
Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus Crosshair Hero VIII
Cooling H100i Cappellix White
Memory Corsair 3600kHz 32GB
Video Card(s) RX 7900XT
Storage Samsung 970 evo 500gb, Corsair 500gb ssd, 500GB 840 pro & 1TB samsung 980pro. M2.SSD 960 evo 250GB
Display(s) ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B 165mhz, Dell S2721DGFA 27 Inch QHD 165mhz
Case Corsair 680x
Audio Device(s) ON Board and Hyper X cloud flight wireless headset and Bose speakers
Power Supply AX1200i Corsair
Mouse Logitech G502x plus lightspeed
Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL lightspeed and G13 gamepad
Software windows 11
If you are hardcore enough to do it, then you care about winning. If you're not, then you are more there just for fun. So for those of you complaining about it making the game unbalanced, I'd say either change the settings yourself to compete, or have some cheese with your whine, stfu and have fun, or gtfo.

Hear hear I also lower my setting in CoD4 and playing in league you need as much as possible to get the edge. If it's legal why complain when you all can do the same.

At least we have taken the time to set our game up to out liking. That 1 second can get you killed.

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
Hear hear I also lower my setting in CoD4 and playing in league you need as much as possible to get the edge. If it's legal why complain when you all can do the same.

At least we have taken the time to set our game up to out liking. That 1 second can get you killed.

if your playing competitively i.e. in a clan - then of course score is very important & if you really really have to win then fine. but the main complaint here is when someone uses the method in non competitive matches against regular/casual players. but obviously no-one wants to lose & it depends how seriously you take the game that you feel so butthurt when your team loses or your not in the top 3 players in non league/competitive play.

Last edited:
System Name TaichiTig
Processor i7 6800K
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) RTX 4070
Audio Device(s) Behringer UMC404HD, LSR308, Shure SRH840, AKG K612, Etymotic HF5
Mouse Logitech G502
Software Win10
I believe I found video of either MadClown or ZenZimZaliben playing a game that doesn't allow tweaking the visual settings, here.

(just to lighten things up a little ;))

System Name Le Don
Processor Core i 5 2500K Unlocked 3.3GHz HD Graphics 3000
Motherboard Asus P8P67 Pro B3 Revision Rev 3.1
Cooling Arctic Freezer Pro 7 Rev.2
Memory 8Gb Corsair DDR3 (CMZ8GX3M2B1600C9), 1600MHz, 1.5V, 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) EVGA Signature 2 Super Clocked GTX680 2GB
Storage Total 6 TB storage
Display(s) LG 23" D2342P and LG 42" 42LF65 LCD (Wall mounted)
Case Antec P180 Silver
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro
Power Supply Corsair 850HX
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit,
i am competitive by nature and by extension competitive in all games i play. for me i do not have fun when i'm losing; i feel much better when i'm on the winning team, i play better, my interest, focus is kept on the game. i cannot understand when people say they play a game and still have fun even they're on the losing team. it just doesn't register in my brain, fair play to those players though. now, i've never lowered the graphical settings in any mulitplayer games i've played tog et a fair or unfair advantage. recently i had to use my ancient PC as my main rig was in the "shop". L4D2 had come out and i set about playing it on that old machine; it played surprisingly well, with all settings lowered. however i didn't get the edge that one would normally get when lowering settings. in fact i absolutely have to crank up everything to maximum because i think i won't get the fully visual experience otherwise.

System Name TaichiTig
Processor i7 6800K
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) RTX 4070
Mouse Logitech G502
Software Win10
i am competitive by nature and by extension competitive in all games i play. for me i do not have fun when i'm losing; i feel much better when i'm on the winning team, i play better, my interest, focus is kept on the game. i cannot understand when people say they play a game and still have fun even they're on the losing team.

I actually prefer to be losing (but I won't "go easy" to make it happen) because when I'm losing:

1. I'm facing a real challenge, and a good challenge (the climb to the top, not the summit itself), is what I find most interesting in all of life.

2. Others are less likely to leave because they're getting smoked, so I'll have [friendlier, happier] people to play with.

3. I don't get accused of cheating [as much].

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
I dont mind being on the losing side either - but It starts to become a real problem if the opposing team are spawn camping & that seems to happen to me a lot in TF2 when either team has all the experienced players stacked on their side.

System Name Is rly gud
Processor Intel Core i5 11600kf
Motherboard Asus Prime Z590-V ATX
Memory (48GB total) 16GB (2x8GB) Crucial Ballistix Sport 3000MHZ and G. Skill Ripjaws 32GB 3200MHZ (2x16GB)
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3060 12GB
Storage 1TB MSI Spatium M370 NVMe M.2 SSD
Display(s) 32" Viewsonic 4k, 34" Samsung 3440x1440, XP Pen Creative Pro 13.3
Power Supply EVGA 600 80+ Gold
VR HMD Meta Quest Pro, Tundra Trackers
Software Windows 10
Saying it's cheating is ridiculous. All people have the option to change their settings/upgrade their system, whether or not they choose to invest what money into their system is their problem.

In the military, are the people with great eye sight or those already in good physical condition cheating because they are just more fortunate than you or decided to put more effort in than you? Maybe we should gouge their eyes out or tie them up and force them to eat potato chips for weeks until they puke, then ship them off to fight. If your system can't play the game, either don't bitch about someone else and continue playing, or just leave.

If you don't like advantages, shut down all but the community colleges, ban scholarships, flush out job opportunities, etc., and see what good that does. I personally like the idea that I could possibly make my experience a better one.

This post is aimed at no specific person. Just a rant.

Last edited:

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
Saying it's cheating is ridiculous. All people have the option to change their settings/upgrade their system, whether or not they choose to invest what money into their system is their problem.

In the military, are the people with great eye sight or those already in good physical condition cheating because they are just more fortunate than you or decided to put more effort in than you? Maybe we should gouge their eyes out or tie them up and force them to eat potato chips for weeks until they puke, then ship them off to fight. If your system can't play the game, either don't bitch about someone else and continue playing, or just leave.

If you don't like advantages, shut down all but the community colleges, ban scholarships, flush out job opportunities, etc., and see what good that does. I personally like the idea that I could possibly make my experience a better one.

Im struggling to understand your rant either your missing the point or you've moved on completely onto another topic - if people cant run the game at full settings then there is not much one can really do about it aside from run with lower settings - thats fine. but if you CAN run the game at full settings but you deliberately 'sabotage/fix' the game so you can see through thick bushes & shrubbery & headshot someone from a distance enough to make any marathon runner proud then its not very fair on the players who are playing honorably (???)

at the end of the day - you bought the game & its upto you how you want to play it. but other players may look down on you for it. if you care about your K/D ratio so much why not earn it properly instead of abusing a weakness in the system/game - surely it would feel more satisfying.

{JNT}Raptor

System Name Ummmm...Mine
Processor I7 920 @ 4.2ghz @ 1.29v's load
Motherboard ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
Cooling Custom 1/2 inch H20
Memory 3x2gb Patriot Sector 7 @2008Mhz 27-9-11-9 1T
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 580 SC 900/1800/1090
Storage 1-Mushkin 60gb SSD 1-500GB WD Black and 2-1TB 32mb WD Black
Display(s) 25 inch Hanns-G 2ms
Case Custom
Audio Device(s) Turtle Beach Catalina
Power Supply Corsair AX850 Pro Series-Modular
Software All Kinds...and then some.
Benchmark Scores 3dMark 11 P7066 Compare Link- http://3dmark.com/3dm11/251153
If you can run a game at decent levels and choose not to in order to gain an advantage.....it may not be cheating....but it speaks loads about the individual.....skills are not tuning settings.....if you have to tune settings to give the appearance of skills.....then your lame....period.

If you fall into the above category and take offense.....oh well.

System Name Turbo_Fighter/Pitbull
Processor AMD FX-9590/Intel i7 6700K 4.7GHZ @ 1.41 volts
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Rev 4.0/Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5
Cooling Corsair H105/Corsair H100iv2
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Ares/32 GB G.Skill Trident-Z
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon R9 Fury X/Sapphire R9 Nano
Storage Mix of HDDs SSDs Externals and a 256GB Samsung M.2 in the pitbull
Display(s) 24" Nixeus 144hz freesync/24'' Benq XL2420TE/21.5'' Asus VH226/Panasonic 42" Plasma
Case White Phantom NZXT/Fractal Define Nano S
Audio Device(s) MayFlower O2 ODAC/HT Omega Claro+/Turtlebeach Earforce DSS
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i/Thermaltake Smart 650Watt(EVGA GS 650 Watt took a shit on me)
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores They can run Crysis.
It should be noted that certain Graphical features cause noticeable input lag(same goes for a low framerate). I don't want it feeling like Killzone 2 when I play a PC fps.

System Name i7-PC / HTPC / iMac
Processor i7 3820 / Phenom II 940
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1.ASSASSIN2 / M3A79-T Deluxe
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i / Scythe II (HS only)
Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB / GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
Display(s) 1x 27" Yamakasi / Vizio 42" HDTV
Case Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 / Antec 900
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker 7.1 / Onboard and HDMI from ATi Card
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W / 610W
Software Ubuntu / Windows 8.1 Pro / OS X / PHPStorm / Gaming

have you bothered to read any posts in this thread? you are arguing against a straw man! your analogy makes no sense at face value, and what I think you are trying to say doesn't even fit the situation!

try getting a firm grasp of the material before putting your thoughts out there, being uninformed when it is all right there in front of you doesn't look great on your part.

for the... fifth time maybe? just on my own part, trying to explain this:

we ARE NOT talking about those who CAN'T run the game at high settings. it is in NO WAY unfair for someone to lower their settings to get playable framerates. CONVERSELY, they have NO RIGHT to cry foul when someone with a rig CAN handle it , and DOES max their settings. your ENTIRE argument was about something we have not been discussing, and we have repeatedly tried to clarify that only to have another person like you jump in and attack something NO ONE EVER SAID!

AND, to equate a VIDEO GAME to soldiers fighting and dying for their country is not really in context imho. does it kinda show how important you guys consider video games ("just a game" huh?) (what i mean is, if my life were on the line in this exact situation, i would change the settings. war and games are a little different in my mind)

We are talking about unnatural advantages specifically. changing settings to remove cover, or make it easier to see enemies. to remove smoke and debris for clearer vision when those are MEANT to be part of the game. if your system can handle them, and you remove them to gain an advantage, you take it too seriously and are morally gray imho.

a proper analogy would be more akin to lying on your entrance exams, or having your parents put in a word to steal the scholarship from the poor kid who worked as hard as he could with what he had. if it weren't for your underhandedness he would have had a chance, but you decided for whatever reason you deserve to have an edge over everyone else, rather than getting what you deserve on your own merits. pitiful.

Last edited: