• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Multiple fans on same header

Is there a way to determine the Amperage available on a single fan header to determine if it can viably support a pair of fans via a splitter. Come give me your best guess. I can't find specific information in my motherboard manual or on the manufacturer's website about it, however, It strikes me that the amperage of fans is pretty variable between fans, and that motherboard makers probably provide overhead based on that, such that if the fans were reasonably low amperage they'd be easily able to work using the same header.

System Name Dell XPS 15 9560
Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1050/1080 Ti
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) 2x Dell P2715Q/4k Internal
Case Razer Core
Audio Device(s) Creative E5/Objective 2 Amp/Senn HD650
Mouse Logitech Proteus Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
Dual 80's and 120's is probably fine from one header, but I would first suggest considering just clipping the wire, and making it longer to reach other motherboard headers. Most have 4-6 headers, or just obtaining Molex->3 pin adaptors.

Overloading a section of your motherboard could have very catastrophic results.

The 3 pin splitter is probably intended for direct PSU connections.

Yeah - the average 12V fan draws very very little current in relative terms.

There should be no problem running 2 or even 3 fans off of one connector - not that I'd recommend it, I'm just saying there is in all reasonable probability , very little actual risk, unless you are using NON spec fans IE : Fans that WHERE NOT intended / or sold / as PC fans.

You can, for example, get 12cm 12v fans in electronic stores with motors over 1.2A - and those should NOT be connected to your motherboard fan headers, however if you are using "PC" fans - then go ahead.

At the same time I would agree with Drippy - if there is ANY OTHER WAY, DO THAT FIRST. Using things OUTSIDE of their intended design parameters is always a bad idea - even if it DOES work.

And remember too - You may share the VOLTAGE of one header with 2 fans - but you cant share the "probe" - that is to say the (Usually Yellow Or White) wire that reports fan SPEED to the board - if you join that as well - you will just get garbage readings - you need to chose ONE fan to use as the probe.

Taking it even further, Sharing is only probably going to work on STANDARD 3 wire fans - normally red, black, and yellow - the 4 wire PWM fans - like Intel's stock coolers should never be shared - as it is highly possible to blow the PWM chip ( Pulse Width Modulator)

EDIT : I have 2 Standard Gigabyte case fan's that come fitted in cases as stock cooling in their budget cases, (8cm) is rated at 0.12A and (12CM) is rated at 0.20A - Adding up to 0.32A which should be within tolerance, but try and keep it under 0.5A - just for sensibility's sake :)

Last edited:
System Name MRCOMP!
Processor 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI Gaming Plus
Cooling Corsair 280 AIO
Memory 64GB 3600mhz
Video Card(s) GTX3060
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung Neo
Case No Case... just sitting on cardboard :D
Power Supply Antec 650w
under 1.5amps should be fine..... i have run 2amp fans on the CPU fan header with no problems on a gigabyte and asus board.

(those delta fans really move some air.... and loud as fuck lol.)

under 1.5amps should be fine..... i have run 2amp fans on the CPU fan header with no problems on a gigabyte and asus board.
(those delta fans really move some air.... and loud as fuck lol.)

I will DISAGREE with this strongly - MANY of the modern boards use PWM chips even on their standard header ports that are rated WELL below 1.5A even if some better *cough* gigabyte/asus *cough* boards CAN handle it, I would personally NOT AT ALL consider it safe to assume that every other manufacturer would.

But that's just my 10c

Processor i7-2500K @ 4.5 GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4
Cooling EK Supreme HF
Memory Kingston HyperX Genesis 2 * 4 GB
Video Card(s) Radeon HD 7950
Storage OCZ Agility 3
Case Bitfenix Shinobi XL
Power Supply Super Flower SF-700P14XE
All fan headers on my Asus X58 Sabertooth and Rampage Gene III boards are rated for 2 A according to manuals. That means for example 5 GT AP-15 fans on one header (0.36 A startup current) or 9 GT AP-14's (0.21 A startup current). PWM headers are even better with Akasa PWM splitters since those only take PWM signal from header but power to fans comes from a Molex connector.

System Name Grandpa
Processor i5 4690K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK
Cooling water
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengence 2400MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 5850 x2
Storage Samsung SM951
Display(s) Catleap 27"
Case coolermaster stacker
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse logitech g5 original
Keyboard Ducky
Software Windows 8.1
if you have a PWM header it would be safer to take the power direct from the PSU and only use the signal from the mobo. You would look pretty dumb if you really did burn out a mobo to run heaps of fans...not worth it. Note : I am runnung 2 x 120mm PWM fans off one header lol it seems ok for that.
If you don't have a PWM header, then just run the fans off the PSU anyway.

System Name Jaspe
Processor Ryzen 1500X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming
Cooling Stock
Memory 16Gb Corsair 3000mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTS 450
Storage Crucial M500
Display(s) Philips 1080 24'
Case NZXT
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Enermax 425W
Software Windows 10 Pro
Is there a way to determine the Amperage available on a single fan header to determine if it can viably support a pair of fans via a splitter. Come give me your best guess. I can't find specific information in my motherboard manual or on the manufacturer's website about it, however, It strikes me that the amperage of fans is pretty variable between fans, and that motherboard makers probably provide overhead based on that, such that if the fans were reasonably low amperage they'd be easily able to work using the same header.

I use this: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/akasa-ak-fy320-3pin-female-to-2-x-3pin-male-(fan)-splitter-cable The two fans on my cpu cooler run at the same speed all the time controlled by the motherboard. I had to change a setting in the bios under cpu fan from PWM to DC, otherwise they would run at full speed. EDIT: Most fans won't start below 5v

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
Dont run more that one. Theres no reason to. Use your PS. Even if its rated for it its causing more connections and more resistance = heat.

Both were identical Scythe PWM fans rated at .51amps. But as someone pointed out, the motherboard is getting a garbled signal from the fans, so they're running at full speed all the time with the splitter. This is actually a large part of why I ditched this, because the two fans running at 1900 RPM provided me with a chorus much louder than I wanted. Besides, running it at 3.5GHz day to day is fine, the push pull configuration doesn't matter that much, I can live with the overclock I have. Thanks for all of the input everyone.

Processor i7-2500K @ 4.5 GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4
Cooling EK Supreme HF
Memory Kingston HyperX Genesis 2 * 4 GB
Video Card(s) Radeon HD 7950
Storage OCZ Agility 3
Case Bitfenix Shinobi XL
Power Supply Super Flower SF-700P14XE
Both were identical Scythe PWM fans rated at .51amps. But as someone pointed out, the motherboard is getting a garbled signal from the fans, so they're running at full speed all the time with the splitter. This is actually a large part of why I ditched this, because the two fans running at 1900 RPM provided me with a chorus much louder than I wanted. Besides, running it at 3.5GHz day to day is fine, the push pull configuration doesn't matter that much, I can live with the overclock I have. Thanks for all of the input everyone.

This is what you need to run multiple PWM fans from one header : http://www.akasa.com.tw/update.php?...es&type_sub=Fan Cable Adapters&model=AK-CB002

System Name Obelisc
Processor i7 3770k @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling H110
Memory 16GB(4x4) @ 2400 MHz 9-11-11-31
Video Card(s) GTX 780 Ti
Storage 850 EVO 1TB, 2x 5TB Toshiba
Case T81
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium HD
Power Supply EVGA 850 T2 80+ TITANIUM
Software Win10 64bit
I run two 3pin y splitters on my evo. One for two AP15 equivalent fans on a controller, and the other two are 750rpm 140s. Those last two use less power than some single fans. It's safe certainly for your average fan, but some performance fans use radically more power. So I'd always try to find specs for your fans. I wouldn't even bother using a fan header period on a budget board besides the cpu one.