• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Multiple Instances of BOINC

Hi all,
This section of TPU seems quiet right now, so I wanted to share a tip for a very specific situation.

Here is the case: I want my shiny new Ryzen 7 2700x to crunch when I'm not home or asleep. So, I would just set the daily schedules in the BOINC manager, right? Well in my case, I want to crunch from 10:30PM to 5AM the next day AND weekdays from 7am to 5pm. The problem is that it seems the BOINC manager only allows one window to be set per day. I had two.

Here is my (complicated) solution. Creating another BOINC instance on my PC giving me a grand total of two. This way, one instance can run during the night and the other while I'm at work. I followed the instructions below that I found here:

1: Go to C:\ProgramData\BOINC
2: Create or edit the cc_config.xml file to contain the following and save:
XML:
<cc_config> 
 <options>   
  <allow_multiple_clients>1</allow_multiple_clients> 
 </options>
</cc_config>
3: Drill out to just C:\ProgramData and create a folder there called BOINC2 (name doesn't really matter)
4: Drill down to your newly created BOINC2 folder and create a batch file named boinc2.bat (again name doesn't matter) containing the following:
Code:
"c:\Program Files\BOINC\boinc.exe" --allow_multiple_clients --redirectio --detach_console --gui_rpc_port 31418 --dir C:\ProgramData\BOINC2
exit
I used Port 31418 because the default is 31416. Not sure if this matters.
5: Run the batch file

So what does this do? Essentially, there are two BOINC clients running on your PC. What next? I connected to the BOINC manager to set my second time window by doing the following:
1: Drill down to the following path and open the file with notepad: C:\ProgramData\BOINC2\gui_rpc_auth.cfg (Use the same name of the folder you created earlier, mine was BOINC2)
2: Copy the string of characters contained in the file
3: Create a new shortcut on your desktop called BOINC2 (name doesn't matter) with the following path:
Code:
 "C:\Program Files\BOINC\boincmgr.exe" /m /n 127.0.0.1 /g 31418 /p 37cf632b718387f4675342371b4055cc
Please remember this is an example: after the "/g" put the port you picked earlier and after the "/p" put the string you just copied from the gui_rpc_auth.cfg file
4: Open your new shortcut.

Now, you have 2 separate shorcuts to manage both instances of the BOINC client. I used my WCG preferences on my original instance and a local prefs for the second.

Hopefully this helps someone and hopefully this isn't a repeat post.