• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Multiple units on one Addressable rgb header: Ampere and cable question?

System Name The Ryzenator
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero wi-fi
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z73 360mm. AIO
Memory 64GB (4 X 16) G.Skill TridenZ Neo 3600MHz CL16-16-16-36
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti 11OC
Storage 2 X 1TB Samsung Evo Plus
Display(s) ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27"
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) Razer Nommo Chroma
Power Supply Corsair AX850 (Seasonic Prime Ultra)
Mouse Sandstrøm Premium SS133
Keyboard Razer Cynosa Chroma
Software Windows 10 64-bit
Benchmark Scores T.B.A.
Hi guys.

I'm having a hard time finding out how i go about connecting 3 addressable rgb units into 1 addressable rgb header on my new mobo. Maybe someone can shine some light on this issue - which is oddly hard to find any info on by searching the internet!

Mobo: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi x570
Device 1: Argb cable from AIO/pump head of the Deepcool Castle 360ex (Aura compatible)
Device 2: argb strip (Aura compatible)
Device 3: argb strip (Aura compatible)

First off i know about not overloading headers in order to avoid frying things,but the thing is i can't really find out how much ampere a AIO's header rgb (or this one's in particular) uses. The argb headers on the Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero are 3A (5V) each, as per the instructions manual coming with the board. The AIO on the other hand, has these specs:

Radiator Dimensions402×120×27 mm
Radiator MaterialAluminum
Net Weight1705 g
Tube length465 mm
Pump Dimensions86×75×71 mm
Pump Speed2550 RPM±10%
Pump Noise17.8 dB(A)
Pump Connector3-pin
Pump Rated Voltage12 VDC
Pump Rated Current0.2 A
Pump Power Consumption2.4 W
Fan Dimensions120×120×25 mm
Fan Speed500~1800 RPM±10%
Fan Airflow64.4 CFM
Fan Air Pressure2.33 mmAq
Fan Noise≤32.1 dB(A)
Fan Connector4-pin PWM
Bearing TypeHydro Bearing
Fan Rated Voltage12 VDC
Fan Rated Current0.15 A
Fan Power Consumption1.8 W
LED TypeAddressable RGB LED
LED Connector3-pin(+5V-D-G)
LED Rated Voltage5 VDC
LED Power Consumption2.25 W(PUMP)
EAN6933412726760
P/NDP-GS-H12-CSL360EX

I don't see any mention about "A" in regards of the addressable lighting, only that it is 5 VDC voltage, which is standard for argb. A little further down i see "2.25W" mentioned - but nothing about ampere. The same goes for LED strips, i can't find any specs about their usage of a.

So my question is: How do i know how many ampere the aio's argb + the 2 argb strips use, in order to not go over the limit of the 3A supported by the argb header on the board?

Also another thing: Would a 4 pin splitter cable (3 way) be ok to use between A) an 3 pin argb header on the mobo and B) one, two or three 3 pin argb devices - as longs as the total ampere of the devices is not higher than what mobo supports? I mean it's basically the same cable, just with one less pin no? Will it work, or does it have to be a dedicated 3 pin splitter cable?

Thanks.

Last edited:
System Name The Ryzenator
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero wi-fi
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z73 360mm. AIO
Memory 64GB (4 X 16) G.Skill TridenZ Neo 3600MHz CL16-16-16-36
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti 11OC
Storage 2 X 1TB Samsung Evo Plus
Display(s) ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27"
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) Razer Nommo Chroma
Power Supply Corsair AX850 (Seasonic Prime Ultra)
Mouse Sandstrøm Premium SS133
Keyboard Razer Cynosa Chroma
Software Windows 10 64-bit
Benchmark Scores T.B.A.
So nobody knows the answer to this?

Anthony1021

I dont know if you'll get this since I'm a bit late, but I'll try. Anyways, for the basics if you need argb always use the 5v header. 12v from my understanding is for solid colors only. As for splitters I found this post back in 2017 from reddit should help you ( https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/7fmpil ). This basically goes into depth about the 60 addressable RGB LED cap the asus aura has. If you find your item to be under that limit you shouldnt have a problem running a splitter off of one header. If you have 60+ LEDs off of one header its recommended to follow the the reddit post above which includes a youtube video and some schematics. If you dont feel like make the splitters listed the in the schematics section I believe you can find them on ebay for about $10.