1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My 2 new build in mind

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by ~Tofu~, Nov 5, 2008.

1. ~Tofu~ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys i have 2 new builds in mind for my computer by the end of this year, thats the time limit, becuase my computer is WAY TOO OLD check <<<.
    My first build is based on core 2 duo as my CPU and a Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3 motherboard:

CPU-Intel E8400 2.4Ghz 8mb cache $209
    Hard Drive- Seagate Sata 250Gb $75
    Ram-DD2-800 1Gb x 2 Kingston $59
    Graphic card-Gigabyte Nvidia 9800GT/ATI HD4830 $199
    Motherboard-Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3 $149
    Case-Cooler Master 690 $115
    Power supply-500Watt power supply (any advice of the brand?(not too expensive thou))
    Optical-Pioneer DVD-R $50

My second consideration is constructed due to the up coming Intel core i7, because of its new socket i heard that it would not fit on the same socket on the 775. This means i need to change my Motherboard from my first build and also my CPU. So would it be advisable to buy i7, and a motherboard that supports i, as soon as it comes out? And if a may i wish i do not spend over the money limit of $1100(AUS)

Any advise would be appreciated thanks =D

2. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    what do you use your computer for?

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. ~Tofu~ New Member

Thanks Received:
    well i'm mainly going to use it for gaming...but soon i have homework to do with Inventor 10 and autocad

4. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    well I know for autocad, and more than likely Inventor10, your gonna want a quad. The NDA has been lifted on imformation about real performance levels of the I7, and the I7 is looking great for those applications you mentioned. You'll probably be better of going I7 if you can afford it($1100 might be close)

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Jeno Guest

e8400 is 3ghz out of the box.... you may be thinking of a Q6600 which is 2.4ghz out of the box. id say the Q6600 may be better for running up games, and will be way better for overclocking on that 800mhz ram if you ever want to go with water.

as for psu im using a generic 500 with no probs at all but if your going for upgrades in the future you may want to bank on something a little more heavy, but for working on a budget branded psu's are a waste of money IMO

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. ~Tofu~ New Member

Thanks Received:
    emmmm oops i see ok thanks
    but i think i wouldn't be getting a duo core since i7 is coming out soon.
    Eh another problem...I know that every new piece of technology that comes out in the market, will always be over priced. So how long do you guys think i should wait around for? A month or two?

7. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    that totally depends on how long you can wait, dont think a month or 2 will make much of a difference.

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. ~Tofu~ New Member

Thanks Received:
    damn i think i can only wait till January the 31st?
    The approximate cost for i7 920 on wiki is $284(US) So does anyone know the approximate money needed for a motherboard to support it?

9. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    I've heard mainstream X58's start at ~$300 USD. So with yourself being located in AU, it's going to be more.

10 Year Member at TPU